Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:57 PM

72 posts, read 314,050 times

Advertisements

Looking into purchasing a home in W. Bloomfield or Farmington Hills.....or Troy.

Mixed race family, looking for a home in the 200s, wanting a good library, safety, and a decent home.

Which area is better, and why?

Thx!@
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,617 times
All three would probably be pretty good though I can't speak for the libraries. The Farmington Hills library on Twelve Mile was expanded a couple years back and is pretty nice. Not sure what the Troy and West Bloomfield libraries are like.

In this market you could probably find a nice house for $200,000 in all three cities though I'm guessing that West Bloomfield would be the most expensive city of the three, but then again, a house in West Bloomfield might hold its value longer.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,748 times
West Bloomfield is very diverse. I moved here this year, and we have really liked it. PM me, if you would like any help or more information on the area.

Don't know if you have kids, but the schools are excellent. This was also a big reason we chose WB. There are 2 libraries, and I *love* them. They have tons of resources, fantastic play areas for children, plenty of computers, and they are very user friendly. You can check out this link for more information: WBTPL's Online Library: Home

Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 PM

72 posts, read 314,050 times
Default West bloomfield

What is the diff between west bloomfield, bloomfield twp and bloomfield hills (Other than location, obviously)?

Also, where does Franklin fit into all this?

How would it be living there as a mixed race muslim family?

Thx!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,947 times
I have no opinion on the main topic of the thread, but I want to chime in with my love of Troy's library. I lived in Troy for a while and fell in love with the library. I now live in Warren, but still prefer to use Troy's library when it's convenient to get there (although I am growing fond of Warren's new library in the city center thing, too). Lots o' books and movies and CD's and magazines and newspapers, a little coffeeshop, used book sales, clean and comfy ... just a real nice set up. Love it.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM

34 posts, read 155,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowlady View Post
What is the diff between west bloomfield, bloomfield twp and bloomfield hills (Other than location, obviously)?

Also, where does Franklin fit into all this?

How would it be living there as a mixed race muslim family?

Thx!
West Bloomfield and Bloomfield Twp. are townships while Bloomfield Hills is a city (surrounded by Bloom. Twp.). Franklin is a small, very upscale city in the vicinity of these areas. West Bloom. has a lot of private lakes but really they are all very similar. All are definately upscale.

You will not have any problems being a mixed race Muslim family. There are plenty of Muslim families in these areas.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
My brother is about to auction off his house, or maybe sell it short in West Bloomfield. It is a decent house that needs some work, but they cannot keep up with the mortgage and ever increasing taxes. It is right about $200,000 maybe a bit less if it is auctioned. Not lakefront, but you cannot touch lakefront anywhere for $200K not even in this terrible market.
they certainly have good schools and an overall pleasant atmosphere.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 67,713 times
Default West Bloomfield has a bad reputation when it comes to racial diversity

I don't think Farmington or Troy have the same reputation, but I think Farmington Hills is the best of the three you have listed. You probably know that Dearborn has a huge Muslim population and they dominate the culture in much of the Dearborn area.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDGreg View Post
I don't think Farmington or Troy have the same reputation, but I think Farmington Hills is the best of the three you have listed. You probably know that Dearborn has a huge Muslim population and they dominate the culture in much of the Dearborn area.
Are you serious? West Bloomfield has a huge Chaldean population. As well, there are many Asians, Indians, African Americans. My daughter's class at school is hugely diverse.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:08 AM

52 posts, read 270,131 times
I personally don't like Troy; bunch of McMansions and office aprks that sprouted out in a rural landscape.

West Bloomfield and Farmington Hills are probably equal in diversity but WB is wealthier and probably a safer place (although both are very very safe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit