Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,060 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of accepting a job with DTE at the Newport plant, we are a family of 5 with a 15yo, 9yo and 6 yo, need to be within a 45min drive to the plant at most but are looking for nice areas that offer a some amenities and good schools, not afraid of a price if you know what places in Seattle rent for we're used to it, but thinking we can get a little more bang for our buck out here. Ok with living in a smaller town but with a half hour of a larger metro area. We will rent for a bit until deciding where to move. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 12:57 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Do you have the address or the city this plant is located in? I can't find it.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:19 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico...rating_Station
Near Monroe

Old 06-11-2016, 01:43 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
45 minutes would mostly get you the southern half of Metro Detroit, 50 minutes from Ann Arbor (additional 25 minutes in worst wintry weather).

Plymouth might be your best option in terms of rated school district. Most of the rest of the suburbs in Wayne County are more or less the same and pretty average. Generally the farther west you go, the newer the homes.

Ann Arbor would be a good choice, but somewhat expensive by Michigan standards. Politically and possibly economically, Ann Arbor has similarities to more liberal places like Seattle.

Some other decent areas would be Brownstown, Woodhaven, Trenton, and Grosse Ile (this area would have a reasonable commute and more of your basic amenities).

Most of Monroe County is pretty rural with Monroe being the only sizable town with basic amenities.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
You will be in complete culture shock coming from the Seattle / Puget Sound area.
I had to look-up the name of the town in your profile, but there is nothing like that western side of Puget Sound / Bainbridge Island experience and culture compared to what we have here.

Within the radius of your commute I'd look at the following areas:

Woodhaven, Flat Rock, Rockwood, Grosse Ile
Saline, Ann Arbor
Plymouth, Canton

Old 06-12-2016, 12:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
45 minutes from Monroe without traffic will pretty much get you access to everything below I-96 and east of Ann Arbor and Toledo, Ohio. Plymouth and Canton are the best choices for good schools and amenities. There are some pretty nice communities downriver as well like Grosse Ile and the Woodhaven area which would be a quick commute to your husbands job. Idk about the amenities downriver though.

Quote:
You will be in complete culture shock coming from the Seattle / Puget Sound area.
I had to look-up the name of the town in your profile, but there is nothing like that western side of Puget Sound / Bainbridge Island experience and culture compared to what we have here.
What's so special about it? Just curious.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
I'll let the OP verify, but my observations of that area which is outside of Seattle comes across as very progressive, environmentally aware, supportive of small & local business, bicycle-friendly, less-insular, and less outwardly showing of (real or perceived) wealth.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM

Thanks for everyones input, pretty much the areas ive seen investigating is about right on with what people have been suggesting here, area wise. Previous poster is spot on with what people are like in this area, I promise though, even if I have lived here for 39 years, we lean more towards the conservative side as opposed to the liberal type that inhabit most of the area, lol. I'm fine with the culture shock as I'm open to everything, my husband will be retired Navy of 22 years so hes lived everywhere. Were excited about the possibility and look forward to finding new places to explore, however, I will stay true to my home team, GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
The easy answer for you is Grosse Ile. This is the gem of the downriver area, especially for families. It is often the safest place in Michigan, has superb schools, and is very peaceful and pleasant with loads of amenities (like you would not believe). 37 minutes to Downtown Detroit (most days), 5 minutes to Wyandotte. The downsides are higher real estate prices and property taxes. There is a good deal of open space and lots of wildlife running around and that can be a downside to some people. Sometimes you have to chase deer and bunnies out of your driveway so you can use the driveway (or off your porch).

Other places to consider are Trenton, Woodhaven, Riverview, Flat Rock/Rockwood, or Dundee. Monroe is ok but you may want to go with private school. You can certainly get some cool houses there for a song. You could also look outside of Toledo Ohio. The advantage of living in Ohio is they have the cheapest car insurance rates in the USA, while Michigan has the most expensive. The downside of the Toledo area is it is pretty flat, boring and often ugly. They have a nice zoo though and if you like malls, they have a decent westfield shopping mall.

In Newport, you can find a lot of rural properties (farms). Schools are not fantastic, but not horrid.

Gibraltar has some neat parts, but the school are not great.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 06-13-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit