Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
On another thread, there were some homers claiming that 8 Mile road was totally safe, and the badlands of John R/State Fair, were great places to live, and when I objected, citing actual crime data, I was shut down by said homers.

Long story short- if you aren't toeing the company line "Detroit is booming, revitalized, safe and desirable for all" you will be attacked in this forum. Usage of actual data or facts will lead to condemnation.

Re. Midtown- it's noticeably better than 10 years ago, and some good restaurants have opened, but that's about it. I would still not live there, not even for free. It's still generally unsafe, the number of restaurants/amenities is still spotty, pedestrian traffic is minimal, and still tons of abandoned buildings/lots.
and retail too:

Carhartt

https://www.carhartt.com/content/content-retail-detroit

Will Leather Goods of Eugene, Oregon

Will Leather Goods to open largest store in Midtown on Wednesday

Third Man Records Store

Hugh - housewares

Hatch Detroit: Joe Posch wins $50,000 to turn Hugh pop-up shop into Midtown retail store | MLive.com

Also, a new clothing store has opened downtown: Kit and Ace

Kit and Ace to open swanky downtown showroom Thursday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 PM

603 posts, read 877,322 times
Quote:
On another thread, there were some homers claiming that 8 Mile road was totally safe, and the badlands of John R/State Fair, were great places to live, and when I objected, citing actual crime data, I was shut down by said homers.

Long story short- if you aren't toeing the company line "Detroit is booming, revitalized, safe and desirable for all" you will be attacked in this forum. Usage of actual data or facts will lead to condemnation.

Re. Midtown- it's noticeably better than 10 years ago, and some good restaurants have opened, but that's about it. I would still not live there, not even for free. It's still generally unsafe, the number of restaurants/amenities is still spotty, pedestrian traffic is minimal, and still tons of abandoned buildings/lots.
This is pretty spot on. I went to Midtown recently and while it was nice to see the recent newer construction it still pales in comparison to really every other major city. It was impressive by Detroit standards but not on a national-scale. Sorry folks these are facts.

Report: Detroit has fewest storefront clusters in U.S.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM

171 posts, read 188,381 times
Quote:

You're crazy. I definitely would do it for free. You have Detroit Police, Wayne County Sheriff's Department and Wayne State University's police patrolling the area. Not saying nothing can happen, but I'd take my chances there if I had to live in the city.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,247,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
First, I'm not scared, I'm pissed. I have more street smarts than you'd ever hope to have.
If your so full of "street smarts" how did you end up buying where you did? Seems to me a "street smart" person would do some homework before making such a significant commitment.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post
This is pretty spot on. I went to Midtown recently and while it was nice to see the recent newer construction it still pales in comparison to really every other major city. It was impressive by Detroit standards but not on a national-scale. Sorry folks these are facts.

Report: Detroit has fewest storefront clusters in U.S.
I'm a Detroit homer, but the bolded is correct.

Concerning the article, Detroit as a whole has very few businesses. But neighborhoods that young artists/professionals are moving to - Corktown, Midtown, The Villages, even Mexicantown - have a lot more businesses than the average Detroit neighborhood and the # of businesses in these 'hoods are growing.

Last edited by usroute10; 07-06-2016 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 07-06-2016, 11:28 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,805 times
I would not move to Midtown at the cost that most Midtown apartments charge. Any apartment in Midtown that doesn't cost all the money is either WSU student ghetto or actual legitimate ghetto.

The OP's complaints are pretty freaking surface level, but Midtown is not completely gentrified and it sure as hell isn't swank enough to justify the rents.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
If you can afford to shop at all of those places regularly, you can afford to live somewhere a lot nicer than Midtown, like say Downtown.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:09 PM

181 posts, read 205,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
What is so sad about a neighborhood within which:
- a ton of new restaurants and bars have opened up recently
- where once crumbling apartment buildings are being restored
- where new apartment buildings have been built
- where unique retail options have opened
- where a new streetcar being built
- where a new hockey stadium is being built?
Well first off, I love REALLY big cities. I'm talking NYC, London, etc. I'm actually not a fan of Chicago at all because it's in the Midwest and I hate Midwestern culture lol. Even Chicago has more going for it than Detroit with all of the issues the city has.

I'm not saying that there is no reason for SOMEONE to live there and there aren't any good things about Detroit or good things coming in the future. For someone who was born in Auburn Hills, moving to Midtown might be an exciting thing for them. Detroit just pales in comparison to other cities of the same size in terms of amenities, crime rate, and culture. Anyone who has lived in other metro areas, like me, knows this is true. I find it hilarious when people act like Detroit isn't what it is. One thing I will say is Detroiters have a LOT of pride.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:26 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
Well first off, I love REALLY big cities. I'm talking NYC, London, etc. I'm actually not a fan of Chicago at all because it's in the Midwest and I hate Midwestern culture lol. Even Chicago has more going for it than Detroit with all of the issues the city has.

I'm not saying that there is no reason for SOMEONE to live there and there aren't any good things about Detroit or good things coming in the future. For someone who was born in Auburn Hills, moving to Midtown might be an exciting thing for them. Detroit just pales in comparison to other cities of the same size in terms of amenities, crime rate, and culture. Anyone who has lived in other metro areas, like me, knows this is true. I find it hilarious when people act like Detroit isn't what it is. One thing I will say is Detroiters have a LOT of pride.
Most people who move to Detroit don't want to pay New York or Chicago prices. Sometimes the amenities isn't worth the costs if you can still get some amenities but still save a bunch of money.

Not only that, but new neighborhoods can be built in Detroit with new identities. That generally isn't possible in other big cities. A lot of people enjoy Detroit for what it is and what it can be rather than what it doesn't have.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:36 PM

514 posts, read 764,352 times
My only point is that they need to run this trash out of town. Spend an hour at the Rosa Parks Transit Center and you will know what I mean. They are literally subhuman. I have never seen a city teeming with so many derivative life forms in my life. No wonder Detroit is thought to be such a toilet.

And why is panhandling legal? Why? I don't get it. I can get a sticker that says "no handbills" and be protected from unwanted sales offers at the door of my home. But the second I leave my house I am supposed to just live with being accosted for money and other things (sometimes aggressively) without abandon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit