Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times

Advertisements

Looks like I missed the party... I had better things to do. It's too many things for me to respond to so I'll just leave this here:

Panhandlers are everywhere. If you were moving to Midtown expecting homeless people not to bother you then the jokes on you. I've been to Midtown 3 times last week and got begged I think once. You aren't going to walk around downtown Chicago, las vegas strip or alot of places in LA without being begged even more than you are in Midtown. Which leads me to you claiming you have very good street smarts. You threatened someones life who has nothing to lose over 30 cents? That doesn't sound street smart to me at all... this ain't Royal Oak "this is Detroit in case you forgot"-Andre 3000.

For some of the other posters... listen man... stop trying to compare Detroit to NYC or the east coast or some city overseas. We honestly don't care and the ones that do is planning to move there not stay in the Midwest. All some of you talk about is boosters and homers when you come off as snobby, rude, and "I'm above you" mentality. We are free to love our city and have a good perspective on it rather you like it or not. As "Belleislerunner" said, most of us don't feel like were missing out on a damn thing but not living on the coast or anywhere else.

There was a comment about Detroit lacking culture, amenities, and vibrancy compared to other cities it's size. Lmao what? Cities somewhat around Detroit's size include SF, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, DC, Philly and Boston. Detroit literally has it's own culture to just about everything... music, food, dance, clothing, sports, ethnic (blacks, arabs, canadians), cars ect. How does it lack culture? I'm confused about this one. As far as amenities go, what can't you do in the metro Detroit area compared to the other cities I mentioned? And I'm talking bout actual things to do not things that barely matters like vibrancy and how close bars are to one another but things to go out and do.

As far as the lack of foot traffic in Detroit. As much as I have been all over the city the past week... there is no lack of foot traffic... especially in Midtown. Outside of the neighborhoods that are mostly empty, there isn't a single major street I drove down where I didn't see people walking and riding their bike down the street. Or nearly every other side street where people were on their porch and kids playing outside. Of course there won't be as much foot traffic as a very density populated place such as Brooklyn, but there is certainly just as much if not more foot traffic than the average neighborhoods in Atl, Dallas, Houston, ect. But then again, who cares? If your happy where you live then that should be all that matters. If your not... move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
So much hate in this thread. If you travel a little bit in USA or around world, you will notice most cities are just like Detroit if not worst. They have museums, few sport area, maybe a river walk, some tall buildings, maybe a Chinatown or some other ethnic area & several restaurants. Its all same, Detroit is no worst than other city. If anything there is far more history here.

But if you don't like it, oh well. Not everyone likes every area. that is fine but no need to bash it. When I visisted San Fran, I didn't like it at all. But my brother loved it. Everyone has their own choose

Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
So much hate in this thread. If you travel a little bit in USA or around world, you will notice most cities are just like Detroit if not worst.
Since "most cities are worse" than Detroit according to you, could you list some of these many, many major cities with higher crime, worse schools, more population loss, more decay, worse transit?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
And why is panhandling legal? Why? I don't get it.
It's this thing called the Constitution.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:10 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's this thing called the Constitution.
Where in the Constitution does it say that accosting others on the street asking for money is legal?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Where in the Constitution does it say that accosting others on the street asking for money is legal?
Asking for money (panhandling) is free speech, protected by the 1st Amendment.

Accosting someone in a physical or threatening manner isn't free speech and isn't protected.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
I'll just leave this here. Looks like there's a LOT that can fall under "aggressive panhandling".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggressive_panhandling

Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Since "most cities are worse" than Detroit according to you, could you list some of these many, many major cities with higher crime, worse schools, more population loss, more decay, worse transit?
1. You can have a vibrant city concurrent with population loss. Who even cares about population loss? I know you hate Chicago too but most people would not choose to live in Lincoln Park, Lake View, the near West Side, or likely any other currently thriving neighborhood in the 80s just because Chicago had more population. They are all far better now. Is Mexico City more attractive than Los Angeles because it has millions of more people?

2. Please provide me a list of inner cities in the US with these fantastic school systems you are so familiar with. I wait with bated breath.

3. Yes, Detroit has high crime, decay, and bad transit.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Detroit

Even the criminals can't afford Midtown anymore. Winning!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
1. You can have a vibrant city concurrent with population loss. Who even cares about population loss?
Everyone? A city with population loss is a dying city.
Quote:
I know you hate Chicago too but most people would not choose to live in Lincoln Park, Lake View, the near West Side, or likely any other currently thriving neighborhood in the 80s just because Chicago had more population. They are all far better now.
This makes no sense. First, I think Chicago is a great city. Second, Chicago would be far healthier if it were more populated and prosperous, obviously.
Quote:
Is Mexico City more attractive than Los Angeles because it has millions of more people?
LA is obviously more attractive than DF, but it's because LA is first world and DF is third world. And silly comparison because LA is very fast growing, in fact faster than DF (which hasn't grown much since its incredible 1970's boom).
Quote:
2. Please provide me a list of inner cities in the US with these fantastic school systems you are so familiar with. I wait with bated breath.
Sure, that would be every single school district, on a comparative basis.

Detroit ranks absolute dead last among major U.S. school districts. Can't get worse than DPS. In fact no other school district is close.

Detroit worst in math, reading scores among big cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit