Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,242,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The southeastern edge of FH (along 8 mile) isn't what I would call desirable in any context. A few empty big-box stores, terrible roads. It's certainly not blighted, but it's not that attractive, either, especially considering the areas of FH that are quite lovely (north of downtown Farmington, in particular).
And people are getting all worked up for nothing. I am not saying that FH is becoming an undesirable community.

I do think it's in RELATIVE decline, though. Meaning, still nice, but probably not the same status as in 1990, because it's sprawl, and the whole point of sprawl is newness. Aging sprawl, almost always, is in relative decline. The strip malls start to get shabby, the young families buy in newer communities, old folks pass on, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,242,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
He made it sound as if there was a huge Muslim community in WBl. There isn't. There's a huge Catholic community.
OK, maybe "sizable" is more to your liking. It's a very sizable, noticeable community. You can't be anywhere in WB and not notice a Muslim presence, and this has been true for decades. Not a big deal.

And WB is probably one of the least Catholic suburbs I can think of. Jews obviously aren't Catholic, blacks are rarely Catholic, Asians are semi-rarely Catholic, so where are all these Catholics? Chaldeans are Catholic but not the typically understood Roman Catholic.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:34 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,279,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OK, maybe "sizable" is more to your liking. It's a very sizable, noticeable community. You can't be anywhere in WB and not notice a Muslim presence, and this has been true for decades. Not a big deal.

And WB is probably one of the least Catholic suburbs I can think of. Jews obviously aren't Catholic, blacks are rarely Catholic, Asians are semi-rarely Catholic, so where are all these Catholics? Chaldeans are Catholic but not the typically understood Roman Catholic.
Chaldeans have their own rite and church hierarchy but are in communion with the Roman Catholic Church. They are all part of Catholic Church.

There's a gigantic Chaldean Catholic Church on Maple (St Thomas).

WB is a very Catholic suburb, just drive around in it's subdivisions and you'll see the statues of Madonna everywhere in people's backyards. There's a huge Jewish presence as well, but I think Chaldean Catholics outnumber them now.

. I found a breakdown that says over 50% of WBl residents were non-religious and the single buggest religious group is Catholics at 25%.

West Bloomfield Township, Michigan (MI) religion - Faith and religion in West Bloomfield Township, Michigan (MI)

Now, I've no idea where the data is coming from, and I bet there's more than 6% of Jews in WBl, so I assume most are considering themselves non-religious.

Anyway this is a far cry from Dearborn where the PD has recently lost a lawsuit for fabricating a case against a few Christian preachers who were handing out leaflets to Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit