Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,126 times

Advertisements

This is a great article from the Toronto Star about Detroit being Americas great comeback story, very positive and flattering.
So great to see others finally taking notice.

https://www.thestar.com/life/travel/...ack-story.html

Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Nice story.

The tunnel they talk about at the beginning of the article (at the airport), my son aptly named the tunnel of electronic digestion. It seems like you are passing through a robot's intestine when you go through that tunnel. It is neat, ut it makes me a little nauseous, I could not spend an hour in there.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM

290 posts, read 313,173 times
But isn't it funny that the local media scours the earth looking for someone saying something negative about Detroit and then putting it in the face of Detroiter who have never even heard of that publication or person. Do you think they will pick this article up?

Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
With income inequality this was inevitable. Not everyone can afford to (or wants to) pay out the nose to live in a "sexy" coastal metro area. And inland, even places like Chicago, Denver and Dallas are getting expensive. Detroit is a sweet spot in terms of value for money.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
With income inequality this was inevitable. Not everyone can afford to (or wants to) pay out the nose to live in a "sexy" coastal metro area. And inland, even places like Chicago, Denver and Dallas are getting expensive. Detroit is a sweet spot in terms of value for money.
Truth.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:

Too bad I let my properties go back for taxes---seriously! I inherited my grandfather's properties, but simply couldn't afford the taxes, upkeep, etc. Oh, well.....can't win 'em all. That whole block is currently public land now, anyways.

I'm sorry, but whenever I think of Detroit I get a knot in the pit of my stomach. I left in 1981, about the height of the recession, crime, etc. I suppose its better now, for another generation to enjoy.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:56 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
Quote:
Hi there, I'm Geo-Aggie. I moved to Detroit because even though I have a STEM career and slightly-higher-than-average salary I didn't come from a wealthy background and I'm too young to have experienced the real-estate boom that my parent's generation enjoyed, so I can't even afford an apartment in "sexy" coastal metro areas, but I found that I can afford a modest colonial in the middle class parts of Detroit. There are lots of people like me. Keep building mass transit, bike lanes, sushi bars, and coffee shops and we'll eventually overrun your metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
But isn't it funny that the local media scours the earth looking for someone saying something negative about Detroit and then putting it in the face of Detroiter who have never even heard of that publication or person. Do you think they will pick this article up?
I've noticed this too. I think the Free Press is the most negative publication I've ever read. Every article is about how Detroit sucks, Detroiters suck, Michigan is the worst, and you suck. I don't understand how anyone reads that garbage. Other mainstream local news aren't much better, Free Press is just the worst offender. Even on the rare occasion they have something positive to report, they always make sure to work in how it's actually still pretty negative.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:01 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Too bad I let my properties go back for taxes---seriously! I inherited my grandfather's properties, but simply couldn't afford the taxes, upkeep, etc. Oh, well.....can't win 'em all. That whole block is currently public land now, anyways.

I'm sorry, but whenever I think of Detroit I get a knot in the pit of my stomach. I left in 1981, about the height of the recession, crime, etc. I suppose its better now, for another generation to enjoy.
My family left in the early 70s, they were still able to sell their home although for a very modest price. My parents by then already lived in the suburbs.

Their neighbors held out until 1978 or so and pretty much escaped with their lives and left the house. They were the last white family on the block and had three break ins in less than two months. They slept with a loaded shotgun near the bed while frantically searching for a new home. I still remember them - they were very bitter and any time the conversation would turn to Detroit, the husband would just say "let them rot in hell". I lost contact with their grandkids, but I would be very surprised if any of them moved back to the city. Unfortunately they were not the only ones with that kind of attitude.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:45 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
My family left in the early 70s, they were still able to sell their home although for a very modest price. My parents by then already lived in the suburbs.

Their neighbors held out until 1978 or so and pretty much escaped with their lives and left the house. They were the last white family on the block and had three break ins in less than two months. They slept with a loaded shotgun near the bed while frantically searching for a new home. I still remember them - they were very bitter and any time the conversation would turn to Detroit, the husband would just say "let them rot in hell". I lost contact with their grandkids, but I would be very surprised if any of them moved back to the city. Unfortunately they were not the only ones with that kind of attitude.

Yep, loaded shotguns by the bed were common....we didn't even take a shower unless someone else was home to stand guard. Of course, such posts will be met with articles about how wonderful Metro Detroit is, and Downtown Detroit. Metro Detroit is NOT Detroit, its the cities surrounding it. Downtown Detroit is an artificial showplace, only a few miles long, heavily patrolled, and even then its ill-advised to go out after dark. I advised my parents to just get out, regardless of where, anything was better than where they were. They ended up renting an apartment in a nice city in, what I guess you'd call Metro Detroit. Even that area is blighted now.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:48 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
If you let your property go because of back taxes - you are exactly part of the problem that caused Detroit to be where it is. Not something to brag about.

I've always thought it'd be neat to have a "Wall of Shame" for every house that has been abandoned torn/down in Detroit that listed the last property owner on record- as a lesson for future generations of what happens when you own things you can't afford. The skill is to learn to live within your means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit