Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:32 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Nobody says Detroit is unique, but there are too many people with rose colored glasses on who think that Detroit can be saved from "downtown outwards" to make any kind of difference. They've been trying to "save" Detroit that way since New Detroit and the Ren Cen.

You're getting a new generation of people "discovering" downtown. Downtown was NEVER bad. They think that because they can feel safe at an event, things are improving. There have ALWAYS been cops on every corner in Greektown. The neighborhoods, on the other hand, have gone nowhere but down. This is where Detroiters live. Your typical "urban pioneer" is not your typical Detroiter. The first thing to do to improve Detroit is to dismantle the public school system. Until that happens they're just going to go through the same old cycle of people who want to have kids moving out and "urban pioneers", young people and professionals moving in for a while, then leaving when they find the wizard behind the curtain and the smoke machines and the mirrors.
There are too many people with puke green colored glasses sitting in their suburban living rooms bitching and moaning about how awful Detroit is, and doing absolutely nothing to help make it a better place. EVERYBODY knows the city is in turmoil, the schools are horrible and many neighborhoods unsafe. Some people on this forum feel the need to constantly "educate" us on this fact that we already know.

The people on this forum I respect are the ones who know this, but are able to see the positives parts of the city, share this information with others, patronize city businesses, talk to the people and become involved in any small way they can. Are the people doing all the complaining supporting city businesses? Are they spending time teaching people to read or volunteering at any organization dedicated to helping the people of this city? People are writing about what they feel are the solutions, but if their only action is writing it's worse than useless, it's hurtful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 PM

155 posts, read 558,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Other than St Louis, you cannot compare these cities TO DETROIT. None of these places are 85-90% ghetto. If you to the New York or Chicago and ask where the BAD areas are, people will tell you, but if you come to Detroit and ask, people will laugh and tell you to "GO DOWNTOWN!"

I agree downtown is and has always been the best part of Detroit.

I was in Chicago two weeks ago and what a great place!! Spending time in other major cities is why I know how bad Detroit is and will be until the voters clean house and get some real leadership at the helm.

Detroit is 139 sq Miles. 38 SQUARE MILES is abandoned property. Take a moment and let that sink in.
lmao! Downtown is hardly the best part of Detoit. I can think of plenty of nice well kept neighborhoods in the city.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:50 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
There are too many people with puke green colored glasses sitting in their suburban living rooms bitching and moaning about how awful Detroit is, and doing absolutely nothing to help make it a better place.
Many of them grew up in the city too, paid their dues and finally came to the conclusion that the City of Detroit wasn't as important as their family's future. And actually, we do most of our bitching on our porches or in local parks. We can spend time at both places without fear of being accosted.....

Quote:
lmao! Downtown is hardly the best part of Detoit. I can think of plenty of nice well kept neighborhoods in the city.
Name plenty of nice neighborhoods in Detroit with a grocery store where you would let your 10 year-old ride her bike around the block after the street lights come on.

Quote:
Are the people doing all the complaining supporting city businesses?
No, they're supporting neighborhood businesses in THEIR neighborhoods....When I lived in Warrendale, I supported the Westwood Bakery, Sunflower Bakery, Warrendale meats, Farmer Jack's, Warrendale Hardware, Rollerdrome, Warrendale Video, Burger King (prior to the second armed robbery and homicide) Al's Barber Shop, Santia's Pizza, Harry's Department Store, Stromboli's..... After they all closed, there were only so many wigs, manicures, crappy used cars, reconditioned tires and cell phones that I needed to purchase and I left after the 4th B&E when my wife was pregnant and the public school "options" were out of the question. I still go to Chick's for the fish fry on Friday, but I make sure I'm armed.

Last edited by and the; 02-23-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 04:52 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Other than St Louis, you cannot compare these cities TO DETROIT. None of these places are 85-90% ghetto. If you to the New York or Chicago and ask where the BAD areas are, people will tell you, but if you come to Detroit and ask, people will laugh and tell you to "GO DOWNTOWN!"

I agree downtown is and has always been the best part of Detroit.

I was in Chicago two weeks ago and what a great place!! Spending time in other major cities is why I know how bad Detroit is and will be until the voters clean house and get some real leadership at the helm.

Detroit is 139 sq Miles. 38 SQUARE MILES is abandoned property. Take a moment and let that sink in.
If you're saying St. Louis is 85-90% ghetto you're vastly wrong. Both cities have bad areas, though.

I've never been to Detroit, but it is aggrivating when these reports come out and make your city look bad, especially considering most of these reports are useless.

St. Louis is on the rise. I think Detroit eventually can be, too, but only if the citizens can do something and can get support from fellow citizens and outsiders.

No city is irrepairable. It'll just take some work, and that won't be helped if these meaningless lists cast Detroit in a bad light and people keep moving out (although I don't think that's why people are moving out).

Old 02-23-2008, 05:13 PM

[quote=and the;2922761]Many of them grew up in the city too, paid their dues and finally came to the conclusion that the City of Detroit wasn't as important as their family's future.

No one is criticizing you for moving to an area that was better for your family. If you never want to set foot in Detroit that's your business, but when you keep spewing your negative view of the city, you hurt those of us who do wish to work on making things better. It would be nice if you could stop complaining about something you have no intention of doing anything about.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If you're saying St. Louis is 85-90% ghetto you're vastly wrong. Both cities have bad areas, though.

I've never been to Detroit, but it is aggrivating when these reports come out and make your city look bad, especially considering most of these reports are useless.

St. Louis is on the rise. I think Detroit eventually can be, too, but only if the citizens can do something and can get support from fellow citizens and outsiders.

No city is irrepairable. It'll just take some work, and that won't be helped if these meaningless lists cast Detroit in a bad light and people keep moving out (although I don't think that's why people are moving out).
It sure is aggravating to deal with all this negative garbage. I haven't had the chance to visit St. Louis, but I would love to visit and when I do I will seek out someone like you who understands that your city has problems, but you still take pride in the good things. I bet you know many wonderful places to go in St. Louis and I hope you don't have to deal with negative suburbanites trying to ruin it for you

Old 02-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
No one is criticizing you for moving to an area that was better for your family. If you never want to set foot in Detroit that's your business, but when you keep spewing your negative view of the city, you hurt those of us who do wish to work on making things better. It would be nice if you could stop complaining about something you have no intention of doing anything about.
Actually, Detroit and Detroiter's have had such a negative affect on the quality of life of the rest of us in Wayne Count that I think I've earned the right to spew as much negativity as I want. Detroiter's don't want constructive criticism, they just want cash. And then there's always the cliche about the suburbanites who volunteer to clean up Detroit neighborhoods as part of "Clean Up Detroit Day" or whatever it's called, who spend a day clearing out overgrown alleys while the residents of the adjacent houses watch with rapt attention and bemusment.

And not only do people criticize those of us who have moved out of Detroit when things became too aweful to bear, they BLAME us for Detroit's steady decline over the past 50 years. It's like there are no mirrors in the whole city of Detroit.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Actually, Detroit and Detroiter's have had such a negative affect on the quality of life of the rest of us in Wayne Count that I think I've earned the right to spew as much negativity as I want. Detroiter's don't want constructive criticism, they just want cash. And then there's always the cliche about the suburbanites who volunteer to clean up Detroit neighborhoods as part of "Clean Up Detroit Day" or whatever it's called, who spend a day clearing out overgrown alleys while the residents of the adjacent houses watch with rapt attention and bemusment.

And not only do people criticize those of us who have moved out of Detroit when things became too aweful to bear, they BLAME us for Detroit's steady decline over the past 50 years. It's like there are no mirrors in the whole city of Detroit.

This is why Detroit is the way it is while other cities improve. There is such a strong animosity between the city and the surrouding area. All cities have folks in the burbs who hate the central city but not to the extent of Detroit. Suburbanites come into the city to see a game or a play and then off they go again to their "safe" havens. Well, we see how that helped metro Detroit. The entire area is hurting due to this sentimentality.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM

...and the City of Detroit seems to think suburbanites should be grateful for the "privilege" of coming into the city to spend their money. So suburbanites come into Detroit, spend money and go home. What do you WANT them to do?!??!?! I believe one suburbanite sold his ashphalt paving empire and was going to spend millions and millions of dollars building schools in Detroit. The city turned him down because he actually wanted some say in how the schools were administered. That pretty much sums it up. "Give us your money, keep your influence."

And don't forget. Kwame Kilpatrick did not just beam down to the Manoogian Mansion from the Starship Funkadelik. Detroiters ensconced him there.....Twice. Would you invest money in a company who installed Kwame as President or Chairman of the Board once, let alone twice? Hell no, you woudldn't!! Unless it wasn't your money you were playing with.

Bob Thompson renews $200 million offer [Michigan Education Report]

Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The constitution of the United States gives everyone the right to speak and write as much idiotic garbage as they want. I fail to see what you have done to earn that right. You come into my neighborhood armed and blame Detroit for ruining your quality of life, we would be much better off if you would just eat your fish in your own city.
When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. Typical. I don't blame Detroit for ruining my quality of life, I blame it for negatively affecting it. As far as suburbanites spending money in the city, your attitude is why many businesses are closed now, since their customer base heeded the advice of those with your philosophy. Not long ago, there was a double shooting at the laundromat on Warren/Southfield. There are regular robberies and other violent crimes against persons. Why WOULDN'T I arm myself in that area?

Memorial Service Held For Laundromat Shooting Victim - Detroit News Story - WDIV Detroit (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14574654/detail.html - broken link)

Not long before that there was another fatal shooting less than a mile down the road at the gas station. And not long before that another fatal shooting at L Georges on Evergreen and also a shooting/robbery of a friend of mine's father-in-law at the quarter car wash on Warren between Southfield and Evergreen. But there's no reason to arm yourself when you're supporting the businesses at night around there right?

Last edited by and the; 02-23-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit