Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times

Advertisements

I have a situation and I need some advice...

We live in a large apartment complex (in Shelby Twp.). There is probably 10 buildings with about 20 apts. in each building. In our building we on the lower level. We live in a 1500 square ft apt...also the sump pump for this entire building (which is very large) is in our back storage room...We were told time and time again we were not finacially responsible for this pump (the electicity or the upkeep)...we were told it was wired to a separate box and they would come in yearly for upkeep,,,which has never happened either...

So we kept getting these gigantic electric bills that suspiciously went up and down with the amount of rain or snow we had...I told my Hubby in month 2 of us living here we were paying for that pump...but he did not bother listening to me...Men!

Anywho, we had an electrician come out and verify that we are indeed paying for it...So we contacted the manager and told him the situation...That was 2.5 months ago...

They said they are going to put a separate meter on the pump and subtract the difference. We were fine with that solution. They also agreed to pay us in retro for the previous months...Great! That is the least they owe us..Pay us for the ammount of electricity your pump used...Perfectly fair IMO.

Except they won't put the meter on. We were told this 3 weeks ago and we are still paying for this sump pump...This electrician was supposed to come out on 3 different occasions (today being the 3rd) and has not...He keeps saying the meter is not in yet...

So my question is....Can I legally not pay them my rent until they follow through with the solution they agreed to do? Like not pay them rent until the meter is placed on this pump (putting rent into an escrow account)???
Can you tell me who I need to contact to help me??

We are not from MI and have been here for a couple of years...but I have never had to seek any kind of legal help for anything...

HELP! What can we do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: