Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,342,353 times

Advertisements

Buckhead, Georgia is a VERY small town in Morgan County 50 plus miles east of the City of Atlanta. Buckhead, as in the "Beverly Hills of the South" is the Uptown district just north of Midtown/Downtown Atlanta and is wholly contained within the city limits of Atlanta (kind of like Hollywood being within Los Angeles City limits, Indian Village being in Detroit city limits, etc.) Its zip codes are Atlanta 30305, 30327, and 30326. So if asked, people in Buckhead (North Atlanta) would simply say, "Atlanta."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,225,338 times
Maybe because I grew up with a dad who was a geographer I prefer a more precise or accurate answer to "where are you from?"
So for me "Detroit" will be "Detroit" and anything else will be "XYZ, a suburb just east/north/south/west of Detroit".

Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,445,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Maybe because I grew up with a dad who was a geographer I prefer a more precise or accurate answer to "where are you from?"
So for me "Detroit" will be "Detroit" and anything else will be "XYZ, a suburb just east/north/south/west of Detroit".
You will probably need to let people know that when communicating withthem, becuase omost people didnot have a geographer dad.

Many or most people are not certain what compass direction their city is from Detroit. The suburb South of Detroit is Windsor. Thus, the Journey song was obviously written by someone unfamiliar with Detroit. ("born and raised in South Detroit")

Some Cities Downriver are sort of south of parts of Detroit, but if not using Detroit, we use "Downriver" so people will know where we are referring to. South of Dearborn would be more accurate, but then no one outside the area knows what or where Dearborn is.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,647,322 times
Allow me to rephrase then:
...so as us youngsters age and start having families and owning property, and we compare the quality of life 70k a year affords us in a metro like Detroit vs. a metro like LA, and realize that a $180,000 home in Royal Oak sure sounds a lot nicer than that same home in Burbank, but instead for $650,000, because then we can afford to go to MLB games and yell, "Go Tigers!"

Old 09-28-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Allow me to rephrase then:
...so as us youngsters age and start having families and owning property, and we compare the quality of life 70k a year affords us in a metro like Detroit vs. a metro like LA, and realize that a $180,000 home in Royal Oak sure sounds a lot nicer than that same home in Burbank, but instead for $650,000, because then we can afford to go to MLB games and yell, "Go Tigers!"

Now see that is crystal clear with no need to interpret

Old 09-28-2016, 10:32 AM

290 posts, read 310,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post

I think you are just talking, when people fly into "Detroit Metro airport" they believe they are in Detroit not Romulus(which they don't know or care about). For some reason suburban Detroiters are the only people who think like this, it reminds me of the time when Jay Leno had a guest and he asked them were they from Detroit, the guest started hemming and hawwing about he was from West Bloomfield, Jay Leno responded isn't that somewhere in Detroit.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Many or most people are not certain what compass direction their city is from Detroit. The suburb South of Detroit is Windsor. Thus, the Journey song was obviously written by someone unfamiliar with Detroit. ("born and raised in South Detroit")

Some Cities Downriver are sort of south of parts of Detroit, but if not using Detroit, we use "Downriver" so people will know where we are referring to. South of Dearborn would be more accurate, but then no one outside the area knows what or where Dearborn is.
I would argue while there is no "South Detroit" there is certainly "south Detroit". Its a matter of whether it defines a separate city (capital S) or a part of an existing city (small case s). To say "south Detroit" is the same as "southern Detroit". The area North Northeast of Outer Drive between the Fischer and Campbell would be south Detroit.
I would hope if any of you called 911 from East Pointe or Harper Woods or St Claire Shores you wouldn't say your in Detroit.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:15 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,305,823 times
Of note. Stanford B School is now offering a new Fellowship MBA. This would be the equivalent of being paid 80K a year to attend MBA school. There is one stipulation. You must find work after you get your MBA in "Silicon Prairie" - inclusive of Michigan. To qualify the student has to demonstrate significant financial need and Midwestern ties.

Article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...192900813.html

Consider the bigger picture here as you juxtapose this news against the history of Silicon Valley and Stanford's role in it.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
I think you are just talking, when people fly into "Detroit Metro airport" they believe they are in Detroit not Romulus(which they don't know or care about).
I don't know where some people think they are when they land at DTW. If they think Romulus then they got the answer right. If they think Detroit they got the answer wrong. Trust me, if you were taking a test "Detroit" would be a wrong answer. So the question becomes if people get the answers to the test wrong do they need to study harder or do we need to dumb down the test. Lots of you people seem to want to dumb down the test. I want people to study harder.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:33 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,647,322 times
ekman243 is right when he states that outside of suburban Detroit, most people really don't do this. I grew up in Heber and Bountiful and then lived in West Valley City after college, but I never tell anyone this. No, I just say I'm from Salt Lake, because unless I mention Salt Lake (or possibly Ogden or Provo) anything I say about the specific fiefdom you'd have written on an envelope to send me a letter is meaningless to 99% of Americans.

Now obviously the reason for this is the massive separation between how incredibly nice many Metro Detroit suburbs are and the perceived blight within the City of Detroit, but that doesn't change the fact that, for most, the city defines the metro and can be used interchangeably with minimal need for distinction between the two. This is also why what is good for Detroit is good for everyone. When people think of moving to relocating their business to Metro Detroit, their initial reaction is "What's going on in Detroit?" - not "What's going on in Troy?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit