U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 1,348,976 times

Advertisements

There are times when lumping the region together makes sense for sake of discussion and times when it doesn't.
Lets take Detroit and Grosse Pointe Shores for example. It makes no sense to lump them together when talking about crime, property taxes, housing costs, school systems, 911 response, the list can go on and on.
I also disagree that "what is good for Detroit is good for everyone" is an accurate statement. Certainly in some aspects that is true but it ain't universal. It wasn't good for Pontiac when the Lions moved back downtown. If the Pistons left Auburn Hills and moved downtown that would be good for Detroit bad for Auburn Hills. The notion that anything good for Detroit is a win win for everybody isn't always true.

Quote:
I grew up in Heber and Bountiful and then lived in West Valley City after college, but I never tell anyone this. No, I just say I'm from Salt Lake, because unless I mention Salt Lake (or possibly Ogden or Provo) anything I say about the specific fiefdom you'd have written on an envelope to send me a letter is meaningless to 99% of Americans
So tell people you grew up in Utah and mention the towns. Your assumption its meaningless to other people is a bit pompous. Let them decide what they want to process or not. Let me decide whether I want to say "the dude is from Salt Lake City" or "the dude is from the Salt Lake City area" or "the dude grew up in a little town 25 miles east southeast of Salt Lake City." Just give accurate information instead of a censored version on the mistaken notion that you know whats best for everybody. Heber was meaningless to me till you mentioned it. Now I am doing a virtual tour of the town from google street view. Looking at Dickey's BBQ on Main and 600So. I never would have done that, never would have known that town existed if you didn't mention it. Why do think thats a bad thing? Even if only 1% of the people are interested how much effort in a conversation does it take to reach that 1%? And the other 99% may just stick with "Salt Lake City" but at least you gave them the choice by being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 03:46 PM

To add to my thoughts I guess I can see if someone doesn't much like talking to people then it makes sense to keep things to a minimum. But otherwise why not throw Heber near Salt Lake city out there and see if it gets a response.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times
Whoa, there's a Dickey's in Heber now? That's new. That was a gas station when I was a kid! Dickey's isn't anything special though, just a chain of mediocre BBQ - they're all over out west. Granny's though, two stores down, now that was where you ate if you were cool Well, at least that was my perception as a little kid. The town really changed when Wal-Mart went in. Before that it was a cool quaint little country town, like Armada, now it's quickly becoming a McMansion commuter suburb.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:37 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,587,794 times
Craig;

Do you ever feel like you are swimming against a current, really trying hard splashing around a lot but not really getting anywhere?

A judge said that to me once when I knew I was right, he knew I was technically right, but it was clear I was never going to convince anyone (including him) that "technically right" should be applied when others all believed that "generally right" is what should reasonably be applied, it was what anyone would expect to be applied and it was what would be (and was) applied. Technically or arguably correct and what is reasonable are not always the same. You may disagree and argue until you are blue in the face that the entire world should change how they designate places, but that is simply not going to happen and no one but you is ever going to accept your position as the correct position.

Poor horse, he is not even fit to be dog food anymore.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times
So... can we get back to the topic? Job searches and applications are great, but I'm not a Metro Detroit native. Does it appear there is a significant change in young people showing up in town? I spent all day Wednesday in Midtown and Thursday in Downtown and they were crawling with young professionals, from many different races and cultures, which to me implies a decent number of them are new to Detroit, as I am. In my own little suburban neighborhood there are a handful younger couples who are new to town as well, and a lot of the people I meet at community activities are much like me - new to town, looking for friends, but this is not something I took much note of at first. This was pretty typical in SLC too.

Thinking more about it though, this is probably new to Detroit, yeah? It wasn't exactly a destination for young adult resettlement for the past couple decades. Does this keep up, or is this merely a temporary blip caused by a larger (coastal) housing bubble?

Old 09-29-2016, 03:00 PM

939 posts, read 843,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
So I am curious, and don't think I'm trying to be an a$$hole, but for you "I'm (not actually) from Detroit" crowd how big does a city have to be for you to call it what it is?
Somebody mentioned Atlanta. So does Athens get its own recognition? Marietta?
Somebody mentioned LA. Lots of suburbs of LA. What suburbs of LA get their own identity?
Closer to home, what parts of SE Michigan would any of you call by name to an out of state person? Novi? Farmington? Dearborn?

again I'm not trying to be an a-hole I am curious how people think.
I think it has be demonstratably not a generic suburb. Ann Arbor is not "Detroit". Flint is not "Detroit". But Saline is "Ann Arbor" and Davison is "Flint".

Old 09-30-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
So... canDoes it appear there is a significant change in young people showing up in town? .

Thinking more about it though, this is probably new to Detroit, yeah? It wasn't exactly a destination for young adult resettlement for the past couple decades. Does this keep up, or is this merely a temporary blip caused by a larger (coastal) housing bubble?
There is a huge change. I have worked downtown since 2008. Until the end of last year, I worked in the Ren Cen which is kind of a world unto itself and not a part of downtown, but I often went for walks in "real Detroit" both at lunch time and when I needed a break if I worked really late.

For the last year, my office looks out on Campius Matrius. I walk around the area most days both at lunch and in the evening before I go home.

Compared to 2008 - 2012, there is a vast (unbelievable) change in the number of people downtown, especially younger people. Over the past year, it has gotten more and more lively and crowded and the average age of the people around. It is a vibrant, exciting area both at lunch and in the evenings. There always seems to be something going on. There are hundreds of new restaurants/bars since 2012, there are thousands of new apartments/condos and new young residents.

However the past year I have noticed a different dramatic change. While the area keeps getting busier and more vibrant, it is not a stunning, dramatic change like it was in preceding years, most just steady growth. The really shocking change in the past 10 months is a dramatic downward shift int he average age of the people out an about. While a year ago, I wandered about an was just another average person in the crown, I now wander around the area and a fell like the creepy old man wandering around a college campus. It is not that way every day, but there are days when it seems I am the only person over 30 out of tens of thousands of people I see or encounter. The crowd is definitely getting younger on average and it is doing so so quickly it is surprising. I think quickjen has had a hiring boom of young people during the past three years and now they are sponsoring all kinds of things to get them out and walking around the area at lunch and at night.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Craig; You may disagree and argue until you are blue in the face that the entire world should change how they designate places, but that is simply not going to happen and no one but you is ever going to accept your position as the correct position.

Poor horse, he is not even fit to be dog food anymore.
The thing is many of my peeps agree with me. I have brought it up as a discussion point out of curiosity over the last many days. Most of my Grosse Pointe Farms/Woods/Shores/Park/City peeps would say "I'm from Grosse Pointe X, its a suburb northeast of Detroit. Or I'm from Dexter, its a small town 5 miles northwest of Ann Arbor. Not one of my Ypsi peeps would say "I'm from Ann Arbor" in an exchange of pleasantries with an out of stater. Every one of them would say they were from Ypsilanti. Every one of my East Lansing peeps would correct anybody who confused Lansing with East Lansing.

So while I am clearly in a minority in this small portion of the world I'm not at all convinced the half dozen people in here speak for the planet.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Not the most "scientific" metric, but more evidence of the Motor City's rebound-horse.gif

Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM

2,952 posts, read 4,347,382 times
The growth in downtown/midtown is explosive. It's incredible. It's reached the point where you can't even really keep up with everything new.

It will be interesting (well, actually boring) to see how the stadium naysayers diss the stadiums' contribution to the revitalization of downtown.

There is always some academic with a chart ready to try to spin conventional wisdom on its head, but IMO the stadiums contributed an incalcuable amount to the rebirth.

Neck and neck is the single-handed force of Dan Gilbert, who people still like to poo poo for whatever deeply ingrained bitter reason.

Finally, the bankruptcy freed up necessary funds to get city services back to a somewhat even keel.

So, there you have it. Although there have been many, many admirable individual contributions (e.g., Karmanos, DiChiera) to the rebirth of Detroit over the last two decades, it is mostly the result of the single-handed efforts of two men: Mike Illitch and Dan Gilbert.

Unbelievable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or