U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times

Advertisements

This LinkedIn analysis looked at the search behaviors of Millennials (those born roughly between 1980-2000) on LinkedIn. What it found was a few surprises of cities that us younger folk are showing the greatest increased interest in moving to.

At #1 nobody should be surprised to see Austin, and Raleigh at #2 isn't a major shock either, but the Motor City comes in at #3 followed by another victim of industrial decline at #4.

I think it's easy to understand why this is happening. The cost of living in the prime destinations for young people is high. Stupidly high. I'm paid in the 80th percentile for people of my generation and there's no way in hell I could afford property within reasonable commute distance of NYC, DC, LA or SF/SJ (I can afford Chicago, but certainly not in parts I'd want to live). Things get a little better in our "2nd tier" cities, but even I'd have to make major sacrifices to afford somewhere to sleep in Denver, Seattle, Boston, Dallas, or Portland - so as us youngsters age and start having families and owning property, and we compare the quality of life 70k affords us in a city like Detroit vs. a city like LA, well ... Go Tigers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 01:04 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,356,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
so as us youngsters age and start having families and owning property, and we compare the quality of life 70k affords us in a city like Detroit vs. a city like LA, well ... Go Tigers!
I wish you all the best in what ever choices you make. but as a father of 3 grown daughters, 2 step daughters and now 5 grandchildren between them I can say you will (very likely) think long and hard about the Detroit schools when you have school age kids. That to me is a huge issue with the resurgence of Detroit. You will find yourself looking at private schools and when you get to 2-3 kids in private schools you will move out of Detroit in to the suburbs....If not you specifically certainly many of your peers.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I wish you all the best in what ever choices you make. but as a father of 3 grown daughters, 2 step daughters and now 5 grandchildren between them I can say you will (very likely) think long and hard about the Detroit schools when you have school age kids. That to me is a huge issue with the resurgence of Detroit. You will find yourself looking at private schools and when you get to 2-3 kids in private schools you will move out of Detroit in to the suburbs....If not you specifically certainly many of your peers.
The Linked In report was about people looking for jobs in certain cities, not necessarily to live Downtown. One poster above was comparing Detroit to Los Angeles. Detroit metro schools and a few schools in the City itself are far better than what you will find in public schools in most of LA or the surrounding area. However, you do not have to live in the City of Detroit and like most any major city, parents of school age children will live outside the city limits. Overall Detroit metro offers a far better childhood experience than many major cities with big cost of living. Continuing the Los Angeles comparison, LA metro has some places with awesome schools but virtually no one can afford to live there. Detroit metro has a lot of districts with awesome schools and still very affordable.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:59 PM

1,852 posts, read 2,299,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
This gentleman has stated a couple of times that he has no interest in living in the city of Detroit. He has cited crime and poor public schools.

Here is an example from February 2016
Quote:
It's sad. Suburban flight really harmed many established cities, and even a couple of establishing ones, but at this point how does that ever repair? I guess it's a rhetorical question, because if there was a good answer cities like Detroit, Buffalo and Memphis (which I didn't mention, but its bad - like Detroit/Buffalo bad) would be doing it. I know when I weigh the pros of living in the neighborhoods of Detroit (cheaper, bigger, historical homes) with the cons (the homes are all falling apart, functionally obsolete, schools are terrible and crime is high) I have basically zero desire to live in the City of Detroit. It's 60ish years since the flight began, and even a semi-liberal, adventurous young person like myself will choose the suburbs when the more urban alternative is as terribly unattractive as it is.

I'd love to live in a city, but just not one that has been abandoned, but I'm unwilling to occupy a partially abandoned city so therefore I'm quite literally part of the problem. Quite the conundrum. But at least seeing how common this is made me feel like it was less of a mistake. The alternatives are overpriced metros that I'll never be able to afford a home in, so... affordable suburbs of an abandoned city it is!
And the problem you have identified - the poor public school system - is apparent to even the most ardent Detroit boosters. Most yuppies of cities leave for the suburbs after their children turn school age to live in family friendly suburbs with the best schools in the area.

He was talking about living in metro areas, not necessarily the city proper. Even in the suburbs of the large prosperous cities, it is expensive to live.

Last edited by usroute10; 09-26-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
He was talking about living in metro areas, not necessarily the city proper. Even in the suburbs of the large prosperous cities, it is expensive to live.
A good comparison is LA. Decent suburbs an average home starts at about $650,000 (old information may be a bit low) in a decent suburb. The ones with great schools will be another $100 - 600K for an average house. By comparison int he Detroit Metro, you can find a nice home in a town with awesome schools for $250,000. By $450,000 you are looking at a waterfront home on acreage with in a nice community with great schools. Or a very large home, or a lot of acres of land.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
....... cities that us younger folk are showing the greatest increased interest in moving to.......the Motor City comes in at #3 followed by another victim of industrial decline at #4.....so as us youngsters age and start having families and owning property, and we compare the quality of life 70k affords us in a city like Detroit vs. a city like LA, well ... Go Tigers!
I'm not big on reading between the lines. The OP mentioned the city of Detroit 3 times in the post. The city of Detroit is not the same as the Detroit MSA or Detroit CSA. Grosse Pointe Woods (as an example) is NOT Detroit. Neither are any other suburbs. It is in the Detroit MSA and CSA. Ann Arbor is NOT Detroit. Ann Arbor is NOT in the Detroit MSA. Ann Arbor is in the Detroit CSA. So if he meant the MSA or CSA he should have said so. But he said City. People need to have clear definitions to have a reasonable discussion.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
[url="https://blog.linkedin.com/2016/09/20/5-surprising-cities-rapidly- and there's no way in hell I could afford property [COLOR="Blue"]within reasonable commute distance of [/color]NYC, DC, LA or SF/SJ (I can afford Chicago, but certainly not in parts I'd want to live) . . .:
It was not entirely unclear he is not talking about living inside city limits even without reading between lines. I certainly was not confused. No need to attack OP like that.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM

Sorry, I should've been more clear on that. Correct, I don't live within the Detroit city limits. I'm a couple miles north, but I spend time in Detroit for museums, restaurants, and sporting events. When people from outside of the state ask where I live, I don't tell them "Southeast Oakland County" because that would mean nothing to 95% of America. I'd tell them Detroit. My understanding of the study is that it looked at metro areas. Note two of the other metros are "Raleigh-Durham" and "Cleveland-Akron", to me this implies that "Detroit" means "Detroit-Livonia-Warren", but freaking out over a blurry definition works too, if that's your thing.

This doesn't change the point that this is good for Detroit, and the Detroit MSA, and the Detroit CSA, because what benefits Detroit benefits Warren, and Livonia, and Flint, and Ann Arbor - and visa versa. These cities aren't entirely economically disconnected, you know? If I earn a paycheck in Macomb County, but live in Oakland County and recreate in Wayne County, well... you can see where I'm going here.

Regarding raising a family within the city limits, I think plenty of people have successfully raised great families within the city limits. It's not necessarily for me for various reasons, but I see nothing wrong with it. Detroit still has its struggles and I prefer a city that already has good schools and where I can walk to the corner market at night with the perception of safety, while still maintaining affordability on a modest income. In time, Detroit can get there, and is currently getting there in parts, but the point of my post wasn't to talk about why I live in the suburbs, but rather to share a positive piece of information about Metro Detroit and its flagship city. Make sense?

Old 09-27-2016, 04:56 AM

Since I don't know any of you people and I don't take copious notes of every stance in every thread I think definitions and clarity are important. I think being specific in a setting like this is important. Just because one person says "I'm from Detroit" for convenience doesn't make it universal. I was born in Yellow Springs Ohio, I don't tell people I was born in Dayton. I tell them Yellow Springs is a small town about 15 miles east of Dayton. When we moved to Ypsilanti where I lived for 20 plus years I didn't tell people I was from Ann Arbor, I said I was from Ypsilanti, a town 5 miles east of Ann Arbor. When I lived in Phoenix I said I was from Phoenix. When I lived in Tempe I said I lived in Tempe. If people needed clarification I said Tempe is a suburb of Phoenix, where Arizona State is located.
I find it strange that people will offer some sort of cliff notes version of where they live for "convenience". How hard is it to say "I live in Lathrup Village. Its a suburb of Detroit a few miles north and west." If someone says "I live in Detroit" what do they do when they are asked what that is like? Do they confess their real address or continue the ruse? I get that people will say "I'm from XX" when they are actually from a suburb of XX, I just don't understand why.

In a setting like this I think its important to be clear and reasonable accurate. Someone shouldn't say "it gets light at 9:30 in the winter" when it actually gets light at 7:30.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:43 AM

But what if it actually gets light at 7:36? .

I think the take-home message here is that you and I have very different personalities, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you want more clarity, ask for it. Making assumptions... well... you know the saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or