U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:37 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,481,687 times

Advertisements

Hazel Park isn't terrible. I have a friend that lives right off 9 Mile. I've never felt unsafe there. It is on a slow upswing. It could be a good real estate investment. It is obviously not as nice as neighboring Royal Oak, but it is much more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 07:05 AM

53 posts, read 50,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Roayl Oak schools have been on a mil downturn for quite a while it seems. Still the news hyped story does not mean Roayl oak is not nice nor does it mean Roayl Oak schools are not nice. I means a number of students in one Royal Oak school are not nice. However being that it is a middle school - it is pretty safe to assume most or all the students are not nice. Middle school students are generally not very nice to each other. All middle schoolers everywhere. That is the time you generally see the most bullying.

Our oldest daughters attended a middle school where they were a minority (school was 98% Hispanic). They were regularly surrounded by a group of girls chanting "Rich little white betch" pushing them and blocking them from going to class. The administration was not able to do much except tell them to stop and get ignored. That did not make it a bad school. It was a pretty good school. They learned a lot, participated on an award winning academic decathlon team. Sure there were problems that made life difficult. Middle school is awful. Just a fact of life.

Still if you are uncomfortable, then do't consider it. Royal Oak is not a top family destination anyway (not bad, but not top).

If inclusiveness is your top priority, you should probably look at Ferndale. Most of the better family suburbs with great schools/safety are mostly white. Novi has a bit more of a mix than some places.

What I was trying to convey, is if you call it the GM building, many or most people will not know what you are talking about. As far as I know, no one here calls it that. You are of course free to call it what you want. You can call it the old Ford building if you wish. You could call it the Marriot Hotel too, but

Like the Willis Tower, to me it will always be the Sears Towers lol

I would have a problem with what they did to your daughter too

Im white my kids are mixed with Mexican and no way act like that

Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 AM

27,784 posts, read 65,753,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
-You forgot Troy, a very popular suburb that has maintained its status despite it starting to age and Macomb Township (in fact, you completely left out of the entirety of Macomb County).

-Also, Huntington Woods and Berkley share the Berkley school district, which is on par with Royal Oak's. These are very desirable suburbs in the "Royal Oak" region of Oakland County.
Odd. I had troy in there and must have deleted it by mistake.

Actually Troy is the closest in and one of the nicest of the traditional subdivision and shopping mall type suburbs (the type of burb that appears to be the most popular even if I cannot understand why).

Maybe I subconsciously deleted troy because they always pull me over when I drive through/to there. It seems to be a ticket trap nearly as much as Romulus. Perhaps my subconscious is still ticked and deleted troy without me realizing. However Troy could well be the best choice for a typical suburbia lifestyle since it is quite nice, has great schools and is very close (compared to say Northville).

I knew I left out something. I thought Berkley schools were doing better than Royal Oak. at least they are getting less negative media attention right now. However I thought Berkeley schools were more on the upswing while Royal Oak schools have been going the other way. Could be wrong, and statistics do not mean much anyway.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,941,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I knew I left out something. I thought Berkley schools were doing better than Royal Oak. at least they are getting less negative media attention right now. However I thought Berkeley schools were more on the upswing while Royal Oak schools have been going the other way. Could be wrong, and statistics do not mean much anyway.
This was actually a contributing factor in our decision to put an offer on a house in Berkley over in Royal Oak. Royal Oak schools aren't bad, if fact they're pretty good, but Berkley seems to have made more of an obvious significant commitment to their schools with the recent (2014?) school millage vs. Royal Oak which is known for having recently re-appropriated or torn down many schools due to a demographic shift toward smaller families in the area. Plus Berkley also has a bit more of a family-with-kids centric feel to it, which is expected given its more traditional small family demographic, where Royal Oak certainly works for families with kids, but I believe the more variety to the family structure demographic of the city tends to make schools a lower priority than you'd find in towns that cater to families like Berkley, Troy, Novi, etc.., but Berkley has that liberal small-town feel to it like Royal Oak and Ferndale, where Troy and Novi do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or