U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 06:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,789,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Canton is bland suburbia with no sense of place. You can find a Canton anywhere in the country. It is as generic as generic gets. House after house after house after chain store.
And where did the OP say he was looking for a place with a flair ? Seems to me that's what they are looking for - a solid middle class, safe, clean, functional suburb with good schools and enough land to have a somewhat "country" feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:26 AM

2,952 posts, read 4,348,679 times
There's almost no point in discussing, you just have to visit. The suburbs are so distinctive that once you start visiting them you will immediately know where you stand.

You really need to define if you want to live in what is generally perceived as a "nice" area.

For instance, very few of the suburbs in downtown Detroit really have a nice downtown area worth mentioning. That can be a huge differentiator.

Given your attitudes and your list of activities you like, it sounds like you may like some more rural cities. There are dozens upon dozens upon dozens of them all around the outskirts of metro Detroit.

For the most part, probably 75% of the suburbs just kind of bleed into each other and are, literally, just randomly designated cities and townships with few distinguishing characterisitcs, at least geographically, though they are distinguisihable by income etc.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:39 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,606,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Man you pump Grosse Ile like it's America's suburb or something. In my experience, it's a bunch of hillbillies with money mixed in with people who were born downriver and became moderately successful but couldn't shake the downriver connection for whatever reason. It doesn't even have a compelling downtown setting.
That is because you know nothing about Grosse Ile.

You can eliminate your mis-perceptions by simply unsung Citydata for what it was originally intended. Look at the average education levels, graduation rates, average income. Except that an average can be deceiving because we have a handful of mega rich people (probably billionaires) and a considerable number of formerly well to do people who have been living on fixed retirement income with no meaningful increases for several decades. Both skew the average. I am not sure whether the net impact is an upward or downward skew.

Also you can look at high school graduation rates and the percentages of GIHS students who go to college (and the percentage who go with scholarships). GI gets a lot of hate from bigger communities because it generates more than its fair share of superachievers for its size. I am not sure why. However many of the superachievers are in non-traditional areas - community service or charity for example. That part I have no idea why.

Have yet to meet a hillbilly in GI although there may be some. I do know three people who are in a motorcycle club, but one of them is a doctor of toxicology and another owns a business. Also I have yet to meet someone who did not go to college or self-educate to the same level. There must be some, but I am not sure who they are.

While it is not perfect, after investigating every community within a reasonable range of the airport, we found it the best option for our family. We still do.

There is not real nightlife. It is not a place for young people who want to drink or dance every evening without having to drive someplace. It is a quiet, peaceful place for people who like nature, water, community. As I have said before there is no significant downtown, only a handful of restaurants and the basics (Kroger, Bakery, Hardware store). However everything else is nearby in Wyandotte, Woodhaven, or for major things, Detroit or Dearborn.

It is relatively unknown, and that makes us happy. We are not interested in attracting the kind of people who would try to turn it into Birmingham south, or Novi II. Keep up with the Joneses types do trickle in, but we are managing to keep them diluted by attracting more of the opposite types of people. Pretty much everyone in GI could afford Birmgham, or Novi or Grosse Pointe. but chose not to go there because they want different lifestyle.

Now if your belief is that everyone who does not think like you and share your exact same value and goals are hillbillies, then you are totally correct.

I am glad places like Birmingham and Novi are there for you. If those are the kind of places you like, please stay there. There is nothing wrong with your preference, but that is not the lifestyle we choose for our community. Which is exactly why I sometimes recommend GI to people and tell them it is probably perfect for them, and why I sometimes suggest it is not the place for them and recommend other places. If you want a Novi, Birmingham or Rochester Hills lifestyle, you will not be happy or comfortable in Grosse Ile. The same it true if you want a Downtown/mid-town lifestyle, but for different reasons.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-10-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-10-2016, 06:44 AM

939 posts, read 844,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
And where did the OP say he was looking for a place with a flair ? Seems to me that's what they are looking for - a solid middle class, safe, clean, functional suburb with good schools and enough land to have a somewhat "country" feel.
What "country flair" is there in Canton? It is tract housing on top of tract housing with big box retailers on every corner. It is fine for what it is, but what it is is character free suburbia.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
What "country flair" is there in Canton? It is tract housing on top of tract housing with big box retailers on every corner. It is fine for what it is, but what it is is character free suburbia.
While I more or less agree with the characterization, that is what many people seem to be looking for. Canton is a very nice example of this lifestyle. Nicer in that way than an average suburb of many other cities. Any character in Canton is the "character of the neighborhood/subdivision. The city itself has no real identity. However it does have something of a country flair if you get off the main drags. You do not have to go far to reach, farms, roadside produce, orchards cider and yes, even cows (even Yaks are not too far away).

I was surprised just now to learn: Canton is a township, not a city. It has 90,000 people and is 11th largest community in Michigan. They must have a lot of people still wandering around lost in Ikea to make those kinds of numbers.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 AM

279 posts, read 470,451 times
How is the New Boston area? We looked at it on Google Earth. Reminds us of where we 'grew up.' What kind of distance are we talking to restaurants, (chain or local) as well as shopping (mainly groceries), and convenience store(s) (i.e. gas stations)? Is that area safe? What is the commute like to downtown on workday? weekend?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:57 AM

2,952 posts, read 4,348,679 times
A lot of trashing of Canton, which is essentially just turning your nose up at people with different tastes than you.

Like a lot of suburbs it doesn't have a downtown and, yeah, there are a lot of strip malls. Beyond that it is basically just a suburb, a fairly well to do one on average if I remember right, in a pretty-to-very good school district and virtually no crime. FWIW, it also has a great public theater and library.

I have personally never lived in a place like that but being arrogant about it strikes me as similar to the same people who think anyone who doesn't want to live in NYC is an idiot.

There are millionaires who live in Canton, probably thousands of them.

As mind-boggling as it may be to 19-year-old art students, some people literally just want a safe place where they can get a lot of bang for their buck in terms of housing and not have to worry about a bunch of cr@p.

In fact it would seem a lot of people feel that way, as the overwhelming growth in SE MI continues to be out into the boondocks.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,817,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
A lot of trashing of Canton, which is essentially just turning your nose up at people with different tastes than you.

Like a lot of suburbs it doesn't have a downtown and, yeah, there are a lot of strip malls. Beyond that it is basically just a suburb, a fairly well to do one on average if I remember right, in a pretty-to-very good school district and virtually no crime. FWIW, it also has a great public theater and library.

I have personally never lived in a place like that but being arrogant about it strikes me as similar to the same people who think anyone who doesn't want to live in NYC is an idiot.

There are millionaires who live in Canton, probably thousands of them.

As mind-boggling as it may be to 19-year-old art students, some people literally just want a safe place where they can get a lot of bang for their buck in terms of housing and not have to worry about a bunch of cr@p.

In fact it would seem a lot of people feel that way, as the overwhelming growth in SE MI continues to be out into the boondocks.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:53 AM

439 posts, read 671,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I was surprised just now to learn: Canton is a township, not a city. It has 90,000 people and is 11th largest community in Michigan. They must have a lot of people still wandering around lost in Ikea to make those kinds of numbers.
The main downfall of being a township is that Wayne County owns all the roads and is responsible for maintaining them and clearing the snow. Translation: Nothing gets done.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
The main downfall of being a township is that Wayne County owns all the roads and is responsible for maintaining them and clearing the snow. Translation: Nothing gets done.
This I know well. Our county road in GI is nearly impassible. However I am glad it is not completely smooth, people go to fast as it is, even though the road it shredding their suspension. The speed limit is 30 but a reasonable speed for the condition is really about 20. You can go 30 without too much damage if you stay in the middle of the road and then pull over and stop if there is oncoming traffic. Some people drive 50 down this road. Keeps the local repair shops busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or