U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,812,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
I drive through New Boston every day. Spread out with lots of farms and two railways that cuts through the borders. If you like that kind of thing, it's right near I275. You'll fit right in if you own an F-150.
Roughly a 0.2% chance that someone would post first hand knowledge about New Boston, but here it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 11:16 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,348,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Acknowledging the fact that it is bland suburbia is not bashing. Some people like ad prefer bland suburbia. One of the most commonly considered "nice" places to live is Irvine California which undeniably has absolutely no character at all. Not all cities have character, but that does not make them bad. Some cities have a lot of character, but that does not make them good. Canton is a great bland suburbia city. That is what it is and it cannot be changed.
If someone were to come in here and tell a person looking for a place that Canton has a wonderful little downtown, a lot of character, and a real sense of place - they would be lying. There is a difference between not lying about something and bashing it.
Again your problem is assuming there is a clear definition of "bland", you have that definition and anyone who questions your authoritative definition is wrong.
Further more not everything "factual" needs saying. If you meet a lovely but extremely overweight woman at an event and she has a pretty red dress on that happens to mitigate the obvious weight issue a bit you could say
1.)"that is a lovely dress your wearing"
2.)"that is a lovely dress and it helps hide your weight well"
3.)"that is a lovely dress your wearing but I gotta say we can all still tell your fat."

You seem to favor #2 or #3 and if the lady is offended your answer is "Acknowledging the fact that your fat is not bashing"

You have on occasion extolled the virtue of the island you live on. But you leave out some "facts".

1. in a county that is only 49.6% white non-Hispanic Grosse Ile is 94% white
2. In a county where the single biggest minority is black at 40.3% Grosse Ile's #2 is asian at 2.7%. Blacks are only 0.4%
3. in a county where poverty rates are 24.9% Grosse Ile is 4.6%
4. In a county with a median household income is $40,487 Grosse Ile is $86,445.

So I suppose I could describe Grosse Ile as a community of relatively rich overwhelmingly white people living on an Island in a river just south of Detroit. Now those are certainly "facts" but some folks in Grosse Ile might think I was bashing them. But of course I'm not because i said so.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:14 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,461,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
If the goal is to be near an airport, then those communities might work...for Bishop International Airport in Flint.

If the goal is to be near downtown Detroit, a relative lived in Orion Township and commuted to downtown - he despised the commute.

It's looking like western Wayne County might fit the bill. As to how New Boston is - Wikipedia says it's about 8K in population, so the odds are that people on C-D have no experience with this rather small place.
I am aware of the airport necessity. Which is why my first post suggests sticking to downriver. I was just negating someone's suggestion of Birmingham.
They want something a bit more laid back and rural with recreational/outdoorsy stuff. The majority of Oakland County does not fit the bill, unless you are talking the very northern portion. Which gets them out of a 30-mile to downtown area.
If it wasn't for the distance, I'd very much recommend northern Oakland County. Bishop is far easier to fly in and out of than DTW. Security lines are a breeze. Even with a layover in DTW, Bishop still saves time because security check points are usually 15-20 minutes. But this is far off topic and just my opinion

Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Acknowledging the fact that it is bland suburbia is not bashing. Some people like ad prefer bland suburbia. One of the most commonly considered "nice" places to live is Irvine California which undeniably has absolutely no character at all. Not all cities have character, but that does not make them bad. Some cities have a lot of character, but that does not make them good. Canton is a great bland suburbia city. That is what it is and it cannot be changed. That is like saying someone mentioning that Fenton has no urban vibe is an insult to Fenton. Not an insult, it just is what it is.

If someone were to come in here and tell a person looking for a place that Canton has a wonderful little downtown, a lot of character, and a real sense of place - they would be lying. There is a difference between not lying about something and bashing it.
Facts are measurable and are supported by data or evidence.

You provide no data or evidence to back up your claims. "Bland" and "vibe" are qualitative terms, the definition of which depends entirely on one indivudual's perception.

Your description of cities as "bland" are your own personal opinion. And you know what they say about opinions....

Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 AM

27,761 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Facts are measurable and are supported by data or evidence.

You provide no data or evidence to back up your claims. "Bland" and "vibe" are qualitative terms, the definition of which depends entirely on one indivudual's perception.

Your description of cities as "bland" are your own personal opinion. And you know what they say about opinions....
Actually the facts about a city and whether it is bland or has some character or identity are measurable. While you cannot really demonstrate the negative, Canton (and many cities like it) have none of the features that make a city town or township non-bland. It is not a matter of opinion, those things are simply not present.

As I mentioned, it has no downtown, and no center, it has almost nothing unique to Canton that makes it special. There is nothing there in particular that tends to draw people form other places to visit or live there. It has no known identity in the region other than as another group of subdivisions.

It is a nice collection of modern subdivisions and chain/big box strip malls and shopping plazas. That is not subjective, it is a fact. If you think that is an incorrect statement of fact, please tell us where is the downtown? Where is the Center? What is Canton known for? Where do people identify as being the City of Canton? What is its character? What is not-bland about it? How is it unique?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Roughly a 0.2% chance that someone would post first hand knowledge about New Boston, but here it is!
That is surprising. I am aware of where New Boston is generally (it is the area you end up in if you turn right when you get off Southbound 275 at Sibley road). Other than that I know nothing about it. I never hear anything about it, never meet anyone from there, never go there except twice by mistake and once to buy something I found on Craigslist. Other than possibly Willow, it is the most unknown place I can find in that area. It is nice to know at least something about it. OP, if you learn much about New Boston, please come back and share what you learn.

I drive a RAM truck, so maybe I just don't fit in when I have gone there so no one will tell me about it.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:11 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Actually the facts about a city and whether it is bland or has some character or identity are measurable. While you cannot really demonstrate the negative, Canton (and many cities like it) have none of the features that make a city town or township non-bland. It is not a matter of opinion, those things are simply not present.

As I mentioned, it has no downtown, and no center, it has almost nothing unique to Canton that makes it special. There is nothing there in particular that tends to draw people form other places to visit or live there. It has no known identity in the region other than as another group of subdivisions.

It is a nice collection of modern subdivisions and chain/big box strip malls and shopping plazas. That is not subjective, it is a fact. If you think that is an incorrect statement of fact, please tell us where is the downtown? Where is the Center? What is Canton known for? Where do people identify as being the City of Canton? What is its character? What is not-bland about it? How is it unique?
Why does a city need to have a downtown to have character? Where is this universally accepted criteria of "character" defined?

Some people may consider manufactured downtowns to be rather bland. South Lyon has a "downtown" area that I think is rather bland. That's my opinion and reasonable people may disagree. Again, it is a matter of perception, and your criteria of a city requiring some sort of downtown to have "character" is 100% your opinion. You're not the bastion of determining which cities have character.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,072,078 times
Just my 2 cents. Character, desirability, blandness, "soullessness suburbia"...all very subjective terms. If we want to answer people's questions about a community, it might be more helpful to use more detailed descriptions about what we find interesting about a community, rather than ones that evoke perhaps unfair subjective preferences with emotional connotations.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
A

So I suppose I could describe Grosse Ile as a community of relatively rich overwhelmingly white people living on an Island in a river just south of Detroit. Now those are certainly "facts" but some folks in Grosse Ile might think I was bashing them. But of course I'm not because i said so.
You sure could. That would be mostly accurate, and is just fact. Not bashing. I do not think anyone would find that bashing - it is true (well almost true).

Although there are mostly "white" people in GI, they are are not "overwhelmingly white," they are just average white, some are pretty tan and/or olive complected. I think maybe you have to go up north to find people who are "overwhelmingly white." I did meet lady in GI who fits that description though. She looked like she was dead.

Oh and it is a township consisting of 14 islands, not "an island" but why split hairs?

It is also accurate to say Grosse Ile is somewhat bland. It is more pleasant than exciting, has no real downtown. Its features are forests, yacht clubs, bicycle trails, nature trails, country clubs, an Alpaca farm, and an equestrian center, more than a town center. "town" is split to some extent between Macomb street and the airport area and "town" is not very inspiring, consisting of mostly banks, real estate offices, hair and massage salons, pet grooming and care, and some art stores (as well as some restaurants, a bakery, grocery, nursery, hardware store and equipment rental place - the places of interest to me). Not really a town per se, just a street where almost all the businesses are located. It does have an identity because it is a group of islands, and our one street of businesses tends to serve as a town center, and it has a character of sorts, but that character is really that of a summer camp or resort town or maybe a 1950s throwback. It is an ideal place to raise a family, but not an ideal place to spend a wild and crazy Saturday Night. We go to Wyandotte for that (or Detroit or Ann Arbor).

Lots of places are bland and that is what makes them great family places. Some places are not bland and still great family places (eg. Northville, Romeo, Plymouth, etc). Every place has its type and every type has its place and bland suburbia needs a place as well. For that we have Canton, Rochester Hills, West Bloomfield. . . To say they are bland suburbia is an observation of fact, not an insult.

There is nothing insulting or bashing in recognizing place for what it is and what it isn't.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:22 PM

So, what is the Character of Canton? Please tell us. How is it more than just a collection of subdivisions and big box stores/strip malls? Where in Canton can this character be found? Is it on Michigan Avenue? At Ikea perhaps? Is there some fabulous architecture or a town center I have overlooked? If I were to go hang out in the midst of Canton and experience its culture, architecture, history, and character, where would I go? I have been to the parking lot of Black rock and it was not there. What is the reason someone from elsewhere would want to come visit Canton? What is there that cannot be found elsewhere? If I am wrong and it is a community of great character, what is this character and where can it be found? I would like to go see/experience it as I am in Canton about once or twice and month and have not found it. Perhaps it is simply hidden away.

If it would make everyone feel better we could perhaps be more factual and describe Canton as a collection of subdivisions and big box stores/strip malls with no center, no history, no architecture, no local culture, a traffic problem; but clean and safe with lots of modern subdivisions, and good schools in part of the township. That could be more factual I suppose, but I do not see how it is more pleasing.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-17-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or