U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:59 PM

279 posts, read 471,220 times

Advertisements

Great Feed Back Thank you All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 06:44 AM

53 posts, read 50,634 times
What if you were going to work in Downtown Detroit, what suburb would be good for a family with good schools

Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,683,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveStRene View Post
What if you were going to work in Downtown Detroit, what suburb would be good for a family with good schools
Depends on how far you want to drive and what you want in a community. Are you looking for subdivisions and shopping malls? A quaint downtown,? small city atmosphere? waterfront? island community? Old? new? Pr icy? Competitive? Laid pack? Conservative? Liberal? Lots of amenities, or just a few parks is OK? Do you care about access to golf, boating, fishing, swimming (pool or natural), major parks, professional sports, museums, airport, freeways, shopping malls? Do you prefer rural suburban or urban style living? Do you want acreage, or are you happier sharing an acre with three or five other homes?

What do you want from schools? Academics? AP classes? Sports (which)? Swimming? Music? Theater? Equestrian teams? Hyper competitive or laid back? Large with tons of offerings or small and basic? Fancy buildings or don't care about the buildings?

Here are a few options with great schools, safe community. Within less than an hour of Downtown.

Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe(s)
Novi
Northville
Lyon Township
South Lyon*
Plymouth
Ann Arbor*
Plymouth Township
Northville Township
Ann arbor Township*
Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Franklin Village
Canton
Saline*
Rochester/Rochester Hills*

* Could be pushing it to make downtown in under an hour depending on where you start and end and the weather.

A bit cheaper, but a bit lower on the schools and safety rankings (still very safe and very good schools)
West Bloomfield
Farmington/Farmington Hills
Walled Lake
Livonia.
Royal Oak
Riverview
Woodhaven
Huron Township (might really belong on the list above)
Milford*
Wixom

With a bit more drive (over 1 hour each way)

Tecumseh
Chelsea
Dexter

and on the second level:
Brighton

That should be enough to get started. I may have left out a few.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-08-2016 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Depends on how far you want to drive and what you want in a community. Are you looking for subdivisions and shopping malls? A quaint downtown,? small city atmosphere? waterfront? island community? Old? new? Pr icy? Competitive? Laid pack? Conservative? Liberal? Lots of amenities, or just a few parks is OK? Do you care about access to golf, boating, fishing, swimming (pool or natural), major parks, professional sports, museums, airport, freeways, shopping malls? Do you prefer rural suburban or urban style living? Do you want acreage, or are you happier sharing an acre with three or five other homes?

What do you want from schools? Academics? AP classes? Sports (which)? Swimming? Music? Theater? Equestrian teams? Hyper competitive or laid back? Large with tons of offerings or small and basic? Fancy buildings or don't care about the buildings?

Here are a few options with great schools, safe community. Within less than an hour of Downtown.

Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe(s)
Novi
Northville
Lyon Township
South Lyon*
Plymouth
Ann Arbor*
Plymouth Township
Northville Township
Ann arbor Township*
Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Franklin Village
Canton
Saline*

* Could be pushing it to make downtown in under an hour depending on where you start and end and the weather.

A bit cheaper, but a bit lower on the schools and safety rankings (still very safe and very good schools)
West Bloomfield
Walled Lake
Livonia.
Royal Oak
Riverview
Woodhaven
Milford*
Wixom

Tecumseh
Chelsea
Dexter

and on the second level:
Brighton

I am from Chicago, is there public transportation to downtown like in Chicago (Like the CTA, PACE and METRA) We currently live in Chicago, I was applying for government jobs in the Detroit area. I am a govt employee looking to relocate for better job opportunities
I have been in Detroit before, my kids enjoyed the area (been on the people mover and downtown, GM building etc) my husband bowls in a tournament in Hazel Park

Old 12-08-2016, 08:50 AM

"is there public transportation to downtown like in Chicago (Like the CTA, PACE and METRA)"

NO. The nice suburbs all require a drive to downtown. They are building a light rail that will open next spring, but right now, it only connects the various parts of the City core (New Center, Mid-town, Brush Park (soon to be the Stadium district, Campus Martius (downtown) and Milender Center (Ren Cen/waterfornt). It does not connect to anyplace you would want to live with children. It might get extended someday, but not for a long time. I would guess the first major extension will go to Royal Oak (not bad place for families).

There are some buses. I have not ridden them. My daughter has. She said parts were pretty scary and it was a slow and smelly way to travel.

Detroit is nothing like Chicago. It is both nicer and much less nice, depending on the aspect of life you want to consider. The nice thing about Detroit, it is substantially improving every year (sometimes every month). There is a lot of opportunity here.

"I was applying for government jobs in the Detroit area. I am a govt employee looking to relocate for better job opportunities"

If you are living off a government job, a lot of the nicer suburbs will likely be out of your reach financially (unless you live in a condo/apartment, or unless you are at the high end of government work (like a City manager)). Still there are very nice suburbs with good schools that you can afford.

You could consider living Downtown or in Mid-town which is a lot more exciting and Chicagolike than elsewhere, but the schools are mostly terrible (there are a few good options, but it would be difficult).

"I have been in Detroit before, my kids enjoyed the area (been on the people mover and downtown, GM building etc) my husband bowls in a tournament in Hazel Park"

GM building = RenCen, BTW. If someone where to say the GM building I am not sure I woudl connect which one you were referring to right away. Here the context makes it obvious.

I do not know anything at all about Hazel Park. I cannot even tell you where it is without looking at a map. Based on seeing where it is and the fact I have not heard anything about it, I would guess it is not one of the better places for families to live. But who knows, maybe it is a new place I should explore. I have driven through it several times, but it was apparently not memorable.

Bowling is pretty big here. There seem to be bowling alleys in every community, sometimes several. There is even a term we learned when we moved here "Big Hair Bowling Alley Chicks" it describes a certain stereotype in an unflattering way. We had not heard that term before. In Detroit there is a place where you can go "Fowling" throw footballs at bowling pins. It is fun.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Hazel Park is in Oakland County, it is home of the Hamtrack singles classic bowling
North of Detroit, South of Royal Oak, East of Warren, West of Ferndale
I'm not sure about Royal Oak being nice, with those middle school students cheering "Built that Wall" is concerning because my children are part Latino
You are right, it is called the Ren Cen, but I call it the GM building. I have stayed in the Marriott in the Ren Cen for business travel for 2 weeks

Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,809,906 times
Quote:
I am from Chicago, is there public transportation to downtown like in Chicago (Like the CTA, PACE and METRA) We currently live in Chicago, I was applying for government jobs in the Detroit area. I am a govt employee looking to relocate for better job opportunities
I have been in Detroit before, my kids enjoyed the area (been on the people mover and downtown, GM building etc) my husband bowls in a tournament in Hazel Park
There are no Metra or any type of trains going into downtown Detroit from the suburbs. The only thing you can use are buses that go from the suburbs to downtown.

I have to disagree with another poster about Detroit and Chicago being nothing alike. As someone who spent countless amount of time in Chicago and have family all over the city, they have alot of similarities. Chicago is of course larger with a better core. But like Chicago, Detroit has it's own style and culture to just about everything. It has a good food scene, music scene, nightlife, big sports town, the housing stock in both metro areas are similar, large blue collar presence. great architecture, great history, tons of shopping, tons of things to do, tons of things going on (concerts, events, new things opening up ect). The biggest difference is the Chicago loop area and much of the north side and the L trains and metra in Chicago. We have 24/7 public transportation (for DDOT only) but that's only for buses. In other words, just get a car lol.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Hazel Park is in Oakland County, it is home of the Hamtrack singles classic bowling
North of Detroit, South of Royal Oak, East of Warren, West of Ferndale
I'm not sure about Royal Oak being nice, with those middle school students cheering "Built that Wall" is concerning because my children are part Latino
You are right, it is called the Ren Cen, but I call it the GM building. I have stayed in the Marriott in the Ren Cen for business travel for 2 weeks
Roayl Oak schools have been on a mil downturn for quite a while it seems. Still the news hyped story does not mean Roayl oak is not nice nor does it mean Roayl Oak schools are not nice. I means a number of students in one Royal Oak school are not nice. However being that it is a middle school - it is pretty safe to assume most or all the students are not nice. Middle school students are generally not very nice to each other. All middle schoolers everywhere. That is the time you generally see the most bullying.

Our oldest daughters attended a middle school where they were a minority (school was 98% Hispanic). They were regularly surrounded by a group of girls chanting "Rich little white betch" pushing them and blocking them from going to class. The administration was not able to do much except tell them to stop and get ignored. That did not make it a bad school. It was a pretty good school. They learned a lot, participated on an award winning academic decathlon team. Sure there were problems that made life difficult. Middle school is awful. Just a fact of life.

Still if you are uncomfortable, then do't consider it. Royal Oak is not a top family destination anyway (not bad, but not top).

If inclusiveness is your top priority, you should probably look at Ferndale. Most of the better family suburbs with great schools/safety are mostly white. Novi has a bit more of a mix than some places.

What I was trying to convey, is if you call it the GM building, many or most people will not know what you are talking about. As far as I know, no one here calls it that. You are of course free to call it what you want. You can call it the old Ford building if you wish. You could call it the Marriot Hotel too, but

Old 12-08-2016, 03:17 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,299,329 times
You give a lot of good information, but you give a lot of questionable information, too.

Quote:
"is there public transportation to downtown like in Chicago (Like the CTA, PACE and METRA)"

NO. The nice suburbs all require a drive to downtown. They are building a light rail that will open next spring, but right now, it only connects the various parts of the City core (New Center, Mid-town, Brush Park (soon to be the Stadium district, Campus Martius (downtown) and Milender Center (Ren Cen/waterfornt). It does not connect to anyplace you would want to live with children. It might get extended someday, but not for a long time. I would guess the first major extension will go to Royal Oak (not bad place for families).
No

There are two very good Park-n-Ride buses, the 805 and 851, that brings white collar commuters from Farmington and West Bloomfield to New Center, Wayne State, and Downtown

There is also a Downriver Park-n-Ride that begins in Trenton, and a pseudo-Park-n-Ride, the Ford Road Express that begins 2 miles from Canton. It takes less than 20 minutes to get to downtown from where I park in the suburb of Dearborn.

SMART > Schedules > Schedules by Route

Quote:
"There are some buses. I have not ridden them. My daughter has. She said parts were pretty scary and it was a slow and smelly way to travel.

1. Things can change (the city buses are new and cleaner than before)
2. This description of "smelly and scary" does not accurately describe SMART Bus (the suburban bus systems).

Old 12-08-2016, 03:27 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,299,329 times
Quote:

Grosse Ile
Grosse Pointe(s)
Novi
Northville
Lyon Township
South Lyon*
Plymouth
Ann Arbor*
Plymouth Township
Northville Township
Ann arbor Township*
Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Franklin Village
Canton
Saline*

West Bloomfield
Walled Lake
Livonia.
Royal Oak
Riverview
Woodhaven
Milford*
Wixom

Tecumseh
Chelsea
Dexter

and on the second level:
Brighton

-You forgot Troy, a very popular suburb that has maintained its status despite it starting to age and Macomb Township (in fact, you completely left out of the entirety of Macomb County).

-Also, Huntington Woods and Berkley share the Berkley school district, which is on par with Royal Oak's. These are very desirable suburbs in the "Royal Oak" region of Oakland County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or