Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
I don't know. I was in my mid 20's at the time. Didn't pay attention to the schools. I do know that DPS schools were still bad back then. Most of the people in that neighborhood sent their kids to private schools. Dearborn Divine Child, Redford St. Agatha, and Bishop Borgess, from what I remember.
If you remember the name of the neighborhood I could look it up and see which schools are/were the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 11:27 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times
I was working with some old aerial imagery today trying to determine what could've been at a site I was investigating in the city and I was in awe at how much devastation this neighborhood had seen. It appears that in 1961 this was a thriving, beautiful residential neighborhood, just northwest of Harper and Van Dyke. Sadly, only 55 years later it's nothing but vacant lots and warehouses. It made me depressed. In the grand scheme of things, 1961 wasn't that long ago. My parents could've grown up here had they been Detroiters. Some of you may have lived here. Maybe it's just my naivete of being new to the area still, but the toll that deindustrialization and suburban flight took on this neighborhood really made me feel depressed, so I wanted to share.

Eastside Detroit, Between Hamtramck and Ravendale, 1961 vs. 2016 - Album on Imgur

Old 05-02-2017, 08:16 PM

169 posts, read 185,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
If you remember the name of the neighborhood I could look it up and see which schools are/were the closest.
Parkland and Warrendale were the neighborhood names I remember. I lived on W. Parkway near W. Chicago. Main cross streets were Telegraph / Joy Rd.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Parkland and Warrendale were the neighborhood names I remember. I lived on W. Parkway near W. Chicago. Main cross streets were Telegraph / Joy Rd.
In that case, Warrendale is served by several schools:
The schools all rank pretty poorly. The enrollments of the K-8s are pretty stable.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Dixon Elementary (Tireman near Evergreen) has been closed for about 4 years or so, was stripped by the grave-robbing scrappers, left open to the elements, and was finally boarded up by DPS.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3504...7i13312!8i6656

Old 05-04-2017, 08:31 AM

There is a current Dixon Elementary campus on 8401 Trinity Dixon Educational Learning Academy- Detroit Public Schools - The old Dixon closed in 2010 Detroit-ish - Dixon Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Dixon Elementary (Tireman near Evergreen) has been closed for about 4 years or so, was stripped by the grave-robbing scrappers, left open to the elements, and was finally boarded up by DPS.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

You can buy it for $150,000 and have a $60,000 s.f. home on 3.6 acres! Live in the most spacious place ever and bring back all your childhood memories.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can buy it for $150,000 and have a $60,000 s.f. home on 3.6 acres! Live in the most spacious place ever and bring back all your childhood memories.
That would be interesting to see!

It could be another Schvitz (a Russian bathhouse that doubled as a swingers hangout on Fridays and Saturdays), or it could be made into a paintball facility.

Turns out the current Dixon building is the former Lessenger building https://thejewishnews.com/2013/10/25/mission-dixon/

Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 PM

36 posts, read 39,605 times
I grew up on the East Side of Detroit before leaving for college. Now I live in STL, MO but I'll soon be moving back to Detroit and I cannot wait!

My neighborhood was rough growing up and it still is today. The problem with Detroit (today), and this contributes to the racial divide as well, is the development or gentrification of Midtown and Downtown.
Gentrification is like a double edge sword. While you're cleaning up and fixing areas that were awful, you're also removing the residents who kept the place afloat. While new buildings and bike trails seem cool, $1250 rents and hipsters are not lol.

I love the development in my city. I just hope the city and urban planners can take that development and push it to other areas. Deep east and west side are warzones. Downtown and Midtown are basically suburbs. We need balance.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP360 View Post
I grew up on the East Side of Detroit before leaving for college. Now I live in STL, MO but I'll soon be moving back to Detroit and I cannot wait!

My neighborhood was rough growing up and it still is today. The problem with Detroit (today), and this contributes to the racial divide as well, is the development or gentrification of Midtown and Downtown.
Gentrification is like a double edge sword. While you're cleaning up and fixing areas that were awful, you're also removing the residents who kept the place afloat. While new buildings and bike trails seem cool, $1250 rents and hipsters are not lol.

I love the development in my city. I just hope the city and urban planners can take that development and push it to other areas. Deep east and west side are warzones. Downtown and Midtown are basically suburbs. We need balance.
They are restoring balance. The City has been out of balance for a long time. No city can survive with an overwhelmingly low income population made up of a single race.

Yes the downtown is going to be pricey to live in. Most viable downtown are (all?). It will be full of people with big incomes paying big taxes. Yes, they will get the most attention, since that is where the money is coming from, that is where most of it will get spent. However the outlying neighborhoods will reap benefits as a balance is restored. Already, street lights are restored, and trash pick up. They are starting to look at revitalizing dying neighborhoods with a $30 million cash infusion. Would that be happening without the hipsters and their tax dollars?

Yes, they will change things, and the existing residents will not like some of the changes. Much about the change will be unfair. Government cannot make things fair. Changing human nature might, bt I do nto see that happening in the near future.

Annoying as they may be,the Hipsters are necessary to restore balance to the City. The City needs more people of different races and cultural backgrounds. It needs more diverse economic status. Hipsters bring diversity and money (they are not all European, there are Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern and African Hipsters too). Balance needs to be restored and only certain types (mostly Hipsters) are willing to commit to coming and restoring the balance. Instead of being annoyed at the Hipsters - laugh at them. They are really quite amusing. And their tax dollars are benefiting everyone somewhat - yes mostly benefiting them, but lots of new money is coming in that is being spread out.

People who earn more moeny, are going to congregate with other people who earn more money. They are not going to go randomly intersperse themselves into decayed neighborhoods with huge crime and other issues, they are going to collect in one place where they can feel comfortable together. Yes, they will spread out and some neighborhoods will become unaffordable for low income people. That is the downside of restoring balance, some of the imbalance gets displaced. It you want it to stay cheap, it has to stay run down. If it gets nice, prices will go up, especially as schools improve and eventually become a viable option again. Some minorities will benefit form the restoration of balance and hopefully people will begin to mix more. Whatever the cause, SE Michigan remains one of the most segregated places I know of. Races seem to mix a lot more and better in Charleston SC than they do here. Not sure why that is.

Option 2, leave the city out of balance the way it was and everyone keeps leaving as quickly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit