U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,347,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
I'm a little confused about why this statement was made? It just seems very random, but maybe you can explain to me and the mods here why you said that.........I'm sure it had nothing to do with my profile pic....

It was supposed to be a joke...about the somewhat anonymous nature of the Internet. On the one hand I wish some guy named "Murder after Midnight" all the best and I truly mean it as far as I know you which is not at all.....In any case it wasn't personal. My apologies if you thought otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Haha, it's tiny, but it's cute. A couple quaint little shops, the ice cream place, a cider mill... yeah, that's about it , but absolutely worth a visit if you're in the area or nearby. I really like Franklin. If I were wealthy I'd live there over B-Ham/Bloomfield or the Pointes, any day.

I'd probably spend my weekend evenings in a leather chair, centered in a dimly-lit room, reading leather-bound books, drinking bourbon and smoking fine cigars. I imagine that's a typical Saturday night in about half the homes in Franklin.
When we moved here, a cute older home on a hill and about 1 acre of land in Franklin caught my eye. It was perfect, lots of space, walking distance to a small town, church nearby, not too far from DTW. I was all excited about it and called for an appointment to see it. I was thinking it would be around $600,000.

Turn out it was in the millions. Two or three of them I think.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:24 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Quote:
Haha, it's tiny, but it's cute. A couple quaint little shops, the ice cream place, a cider mill... yeah, that's about it , but absolutely worth a visit if you're in the area or nearby. I really like Franklin. If I were wealthy I'd live there over B-Ham/Bloomfield or the Pointes, any day.

I'd probably spend my weekend evenings in a leather chair, centered in a dimly-lit room, reading leather-bound books, drinking bourbon and smoking fine cigars. I imagine that's a typical Saturday night in about half the homes in Franklin.
Have you actually visited the Pointes, yet? I would think it has a lot more to offer than Franklin, such as a plurality of families with young children, in addition to the residents-only lake beaches, great public schools, and 3 walkable commercial districts. Franklin just seems like a community that skews older. I could be wrong

Old 10-13-2016, 04:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
I have! Finally.. Well, GP Woods, at least. I have a friend that lives there and recently visited and drove around his neighborhood after I left. It's nice, great area. Everything is immaculate and very affluent looking, but to me it doesn't really offer anything that you can't get in half a dozen other Detroit suburbs. It just offers those same things in a nicer package for more money. This isn't a negative for the GPs, but rather a positive for other older, gentrified suburbs. It's a nice area and very appealing to your typical wealthy or upper-middle class family. I totally get the draw. Franklin though... it's like the country, but inside a huge metro area! I love that!

I mean we're speaking purely hypothetical here because, A. I'm not wealthy and B. If I was I'd probably stay in Royal Oak and just build a new 2000 square foot house near downtown because I'm really not the type to flaunt stuff (I hate that), but if I was, something about that good ol' country living within the city with acre+ lots and castles dotted around feels like how one should live if they inherit a stupidly large sum of money and spend their spare time smoking expensive cigars reading leather bound books.

On second thought, that part about staying in Royal Oak is also a lie. I'd probably move to Bar Harbor, ME - given that other than my job we don't exactly have anything tying us here. That being said, if I had to weigh the pros and cons of cities I could actually find work in, Metro Detroit definitely comes up near the top! Now if only it paid well and let me live in Franklin , bah.. I mean a new house in RO.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:03 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Quote:
I have! Finally.. Well, GP Woods, at least. I have a friend that lives there and recently visited and drove around his neighborhood after I left. It's nice, great area. Everything is immaculate and very affluent looking, but to me it doesn't really offer anything that you can't get in half a dozen other Detroit suburbs. It just offers those same things in a nicer package for more money. This isn't a negative for the GPs, but rather a positive for other older, gentrified suburbs. It's a nice area and very appealing to your typical wealthy or upper-middle class family. I totally get the draw. Franklin though... it's like the country, but inside a huge metro area! I love that!

I mean we're speaking purely hypothetical here because, A. I'm not wealthy and B. If I was I'd probably stay in Royal Oak and just build a new 2000 square foot house near downtown because I'm really not the type to flaunt stuff (I hate that), but if I was, something about that good ol' country living within the city with acre+ lots and castles dotted around feels like how one should live if they inherit a stupidly large sum of money and spend their spare time smoking expensive cigars reading leather bound books.

On second thought, that part about staying in Royal Oak is also a lie. I'd probably move to Bar Harbor, ME - given that other than my job we don't exactly have anything tying us here. That being said, if I had to weigh the pros and cons of cities I could actually find work in, Metro Detroit definitely comes up near the top! Now if only it paid well and let me live in Franklin , bah.. I mean a new house in RO.
OK. Fair enough! Grosse Pointe Woods is the least unique and desirable of the Grosse Pointes. It is not located on the lake. Most of the housing stock is from the 1940's - 1960s. It was built later than the other 4 Grosse Pointe Communities, in fact it was not incorporated as a city until the 1950's. The other Grosse Pointes have much better housing stock and GPW is not walkable to the 3 short, but charming commercial districts on Kercheval Avenue.

Few suburbs in Detroit have views like this

I'm going to have to check out Franklin soon. It has the popular cider mill.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:43 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,742,410 times
Grosse Pointes are showing the highest median sales in the Metro Area for September so it's still a booming real estate market there.

One of the reasons GP is insular from much of Metro Detroit is each town is only 5-10K people, so there isn't 60-100K people like you see in Macomb/Novi/Canton - so that keeps property values high because you only need a smaller pool of buyers to maintain values - and you'll always have that professional buyer catering for a 15 minute commute to downtown with Top Ten schools in the state.

5 things to know about Metro Detroit real estate sales so far in 2016 | MLive.com

Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,815,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Grosse Pointes are showing the highest median sales in the Metro Area for September so it's still a booming real estate market there.

One of the reasons GP is insular from much of Metro Detroit is each town is only 5-10K people, so there isn't 60-100K people like you see in Macomb/Novi/Canton - so that keeps property values high because you only need a smaller pool of buyers to maintain values - and you'll always have that professional buyer catering for a 15 minute commute to downtown with Top Ten schools in the state.

5 things to know about Metro Detroit real estate sales so far in 2016 | MLive.com
GP schools are not top 10 in the state. Haven't been for a long time.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MI/districtrank.aspx

Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,347,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
GP schools are not top 10 in the state. Haven't been for a long time.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MI/districtrank.aspx
Interesting link...I have bookmarked it. One problem I have is when a single charter school with 1 building of K-8 is in the same comparison pool with entire districts. I think they should be treated in a different pool

Old 10-14-2016, 08:28 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,815,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Interesting link...I have bookmarked it. One problem I have is when a single charter school with 1 building of K-8 is in the same comparison pool with entire districts. I think they should be treated in a different pool
Yes, I completely agree. However, that is the best site for aggregating raw school data.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,742,410 times
Grosse Pointe is ranked number 8 in the state according to US News and World Report.

Grosse Pointe South High School in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI | US News Best High Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or