U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:07 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,771,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkobra View Post
I have seen it from the Somerset parking garage in Troy (3 floors up, 18 mi as the crow flies)
Also from nw hwy and 13 mile rd (20 mi)
I 94 by the airport
Dutton rd and bald mountain rd in Auburn hills

Places that it is possibly visible from/I have heard its visible from (need confirmation)

Put in bay monument (63 miles, this would probably win of it is visible)
Toledo's tallest building
Tower plaza in Ann Arbor
M 14 and m 153 exit
Romeo golf course hole one (34 miles)
Pine knob ski area
Alpine valley ski area (seems plausible)
Metro beach
Stoney creek metropark
School craft college parking lot

It seems as if you are 8 stories up you can usually see it from anywhere in the metro. Has anyone seen it from these places or seen it from another? If you have pics that'd be great.
The old Northville High School (now middle school) sits on a hill; from which on a clear day, the RenCen can be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,802,456 times
I know you can see downtown Detroit from pretty much any suburb but from Toledo? wow. I'll love to see someone post a picture of that.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:10 PM

979 posts, read 1,116,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkobra View Post
I have seen it from the Somerset parking garage in Troy (3 floors up, 18 mi as the crow flies)
Also from nw hwy and 13 mile rd (20 mi)
I 94 by the airport
Dutton rd and bald mountain rd in Auburn hills

Places that it is possibly visible from/I have heard its visible from (need confirmation)

Put in bay monument (63 miles, this would probably win of it is visible)
Toledo's tallest building
Tower plaza in Ann Arbor
M 14 and m 153 exit
Romeo golf course hole one (34 miles)
Pine knob ski area
Alpine valley ski area (seems plausible)
Metro beach
Stoney creek metropark
School craft college parking lot

It seems as if you are 8 stories up you can usually see it from anywhere in the metro. Has anyone seen it from these places or seen it from another? If you have pics that'd be great.
Some places I know where you can see the Ren Cen / downtown Skyline:

Also from nw hwy and 13 mile rd (20 mi) - Yes
I 94 by the airport - Yes, when driving east on I-94 cresting a hill just east of I-275
Dutton rd and bald mountain rd in Auburn hills - Yes, north of the Palace area

Put in bay monument (63 miles, this would probably win of it is visible) - Don't think so
Toledo's tallest building - I can't see Toledo from the Ren Cen, so I don't know about this one
Tower plaza in Ann Arbor - probably, since A2 is just on the edge of the horizon when looking out of the Ren Cent
M 14 and m 153 exit - Not quite there, but there is a spot on M-14 & Sheldon Rd areas where you can
Romeo golf course hole one (34 miles) - never been there, is it elevated above the trees?
Pine knob ski area - I never have when I've been there but it may never have been clear enough, but I'm not sure its tall enough to see above the higher areas of Bloomfield Twp & Auburn Hills
Alpine valley ski area (seems plausible) - I never have but i don't think its ever been that clear and/or mostly night time when I've skied out there
Metro beach - Yes, easy to see looking to the south
Stoney creek metropark - yes from near the park office/entrance road and also from Mt. Sheldon over off the mountain biking trail/hiking are when the leaves are off the trees
School craft college parking lot - never been there.

Some other areas of mention:
- Parts of northern Troy near Crooks & I-75 and along Long Lake Rd near Troy High
- Mound Rd & Utica/Auburn/M-59 near Joe Dumar's fieldhouse
- M-24 Lapeer Rd north of the Palace

Old 10-23-2016, 08:21 PM

979 posts, read 1,116,246 times
I'm regular on the top floors of one of the Ren Cen towers and about the farthest things you can see on the horizon on clear day from the 39th floor:

North
- Chrysler CTC office tower in Auburn Hills
- Big landfill north of the Palace in Auburn Hills at M-24 & Dutton
- The tops of the hills in Stony Creek

Northeast:
- Powerplant stacks along the St. Clair River near St. Clair/Marine City

East:
- The Canadian shoreline on the eastern side of Lake St. Clair
- All of the wind turbines out along the 401 on the southeast side of Lake St. Clair

South:
- Fermi II cooling towers
- Monroe Powerplant stacks

West:
- DTW Control Tower
- Landfills along I-275
- Some stuff that appears in the Ann Arbor area

Northwest:
- I think that big microwave tower that north of I-96/Kensington MP by the GM Proving Ground

Despite appearing to be completely flat, the Metro Detroit area rises up slightly as you go north and west from the Detroit River/Lake St. Clair. The lake/river is about 574 ft ASL. Birmingham is about 800 ft. Parts of Rochester are about 1000 ft. and some spots out in the White Lake / Highland area I believe are 1100 ft+ You can see more on the northern and western horizon due to the rising terrain.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM

939 posts, read 843,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
It's amazing how half of the Detroit's region is either water or Canada if downtown Detroit is placed in the middle of this circle. It would have been interesting to see how urban development would have been had Windsor and its area been part of the USA. I would wager that areas as far as Wixom and perhaps even Novi may not have been developed.
Detroit itself would have developed differently instead of incorporating all the land to the north and west. It would have spanned the river ala New York.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:50 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,462,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Detroit itself would have developed differently instead of incorporating all the land to the north and west. It would have spanned the river ala New York.
Thank god that never happened, and we managed to keep the Americans out of our side during the war of 1812, and we actually gave you back Detroit after taking it over

I actually think the area is much more interesting as a two nation destination rather than just one.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:20 AM

56 posts, read 41,161 times
I can confirm that you can see the RenCen looking down Grand River from at least Middlebelt road, between 8 and 9 Mile in Farmington Hills. The distance is 17 miles.

I can also view it from the office that I work in near 12 Mile and Telegraph from a 4th floor window. It's hardly visible as there are a lot of other tall structures in the way. I do have a picture but it's not that exciting to look at.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 PM

615 posts, read 1,167,130 times
A famous location where the Detroit skyline may be seen from a great distance is along one of the roads on the approach to the entrance of Stony Creek Metropark, about 26 miles north of Downtown (yes, it's near 26 Mile Road). People have been known to go there to see the annual fireworks display.

This is possible because the site is on the edge of a ridge, and the land between it and Detroit, though it appears tabletop flat to the eye, is in reality a gradual slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit