Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times

Advertisements

I am a college student looking for a place to live for the summer. Is 8 mile rd and telegraph rd a safe area? I have never been to Michigan before, let alone Detroit, so I have no idea what to expect. What are some good areas in Detroit/Southfield/Farmington hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 27,215 times
It won't be as safe as some places like Oakland County but it's not an absolute destitute and crime-ridden area. That being said, I wouldn't recommend living there because it's not a particularly interesting area with things to do nearby.

Metro Detroit is a very large area with plenty of great areas to live. It would be helpful for recommendations to know what area you will be working/studying in.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
I will be working in the Novi/Wixom area, so it is a little ways away from downtown Detroit, but I am willing to make the commute. Would Ann Arbor be an interesting place to live in?

Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 PM

8,353 posts, read 7,295,821 times
Ann Arbor would be a most interesting place to live in. Think of it as a smaller Madison, Wisconsin - a liberal college town.

However, housing costs could be an issue.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkajiya View Post
I will be working in the Novi/Wixom area, so it is a little ways away from downtown Detroit, but I am willing to make the commute. Would Ann Arbor be an interesting place to live in?
Interesting or affordable?

Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Ann Arbor would be a most interesting place to live in. Think of it as a smaller Madison, Wisconsin - a liberal college town.

However, housing costs could be an issue.
University of Michigan is more conservative than Madison. 20 years ago, Ann Arbor and Madison were two-peas in the same pod.

I really never seen similarities between the two cities.

The question is why live in Detroit? If it is some suburbanite dream to watch the city rise from the ashes, one might be best to find a life in places like Walled Lake, White Lake and might I even offer Pontiac?

Just guessing by your name, may be even Farmington or Farmington Hills.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 AM

21 posts, read 27,215 times
If you don't mind driving a long way, check out Ann Arbor and Royal Oak. Both very nice places to live with a lot of young people and nightlife.

Novi/Wixom isn't a great location in that it is far-ish from desirable and/or popular places to live like Detroit, Royal Oak, and Ann Arbor. If you want to stay closer, check out Novi and Northville. Novi is super suburban and boring but there are definitely less-boring areas where you can walk to stuff. I don't actually know that much about Northville but I have heard that it is nice.

Personally, I would take a look at commute times and if you can get to Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, downtown Detroit, or midtown Detroit in 30 minutes or less including traffic, I would do that. If you can't, maybe look into Novi and Northville.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:59 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,236,735 times
Go to Ann Arbor. Unless you are like a recluse who is just going to study all day or something. Then go anywhere else.

But if you want to meet other kids, have a fun safe place to explore, etc., it's Ann Arbor.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:12 AM

8,353 posts, read 7,295,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
University of Michigan is more conservative than Madison. 20 years ago, Ann Arbor and Madison were two-peas in the same pod.

I really never seen similarities between the two cities.
I always saw them as two liberal college towns surrounded by more conservative rural areas.

Must admit that I have no first hand knowledge of AA (or of Madison), but I'm still surprised to hear that AA has become more conservative than Madison.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:27 AM

944 posts, read 1,196,785 times
Ann Arbor is wealthier on the whole than Madison, which might indicate a more limousine liberal attitude than the old hippie dippie stuff, but that is only because Madison is larger and supply there meets demand. UM is more hipster than hippie, but I think that might be everywhere these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit