U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 03:34 PM

551 posts, read 391,180 times

Advertisements

OK...now, why do we always get the promotional PR image of Detroit turning around and never the other side of the coin???

Here's a Video shoot almost 2 yrs old. I hope its better than this now...

SIGH

link

I just spoke to a friend in MI and mentioned this and he gave me this one recent night time view.

link

Man...!

Last edited by Balkins; 10-15-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:35 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
You can find whatever you want to show. If you want to show stunningly beautiful neighborhoods and quaint bustling urban areas, you can show that. If you want to show run down housing and streets filled with hooligans, you can show that too. If you want to find areas where seemingly every building is being renovated or newly built - yup that is here. That is pretty much true of every city I know of.

If you are actually wondering how Detroit has gone int he last two or so years: Mid-town and downtown have continued improving dramatically, Brush Park is being torn down and replaced with a stadium and supporting buildings. Cork town has continued to improve although slowly. The neighborhoods that were nice before are still about the same, maybe a bit improved. The neighborhoods that were in decline are still mostly in decline and are worse than they were (except basically empty places like Del Rey, they have no further to go, or at least not much. So you can still find awesome areas and terrible areas. Many of the awesome areas have gotten even better; most of the terrible areas have continued to get worse (with a few exceptions). Could you still make this same video? Absolutely. You could even make one that looks worse. Could you also make a video that makes Detroit look like it is once again the most beautiful City in the USA? Well, probably not quite that far, but you could make it look totally awesome with selective filming like they did in the videos.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 4,571 times
Crowder is a conservative who pushes a nefarious agenda by using propaganda, the man is a disgrace. His videos do not accurately represent Detroit, he can't even pronounce Gratiot correctly.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:04 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,817,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapore101 View Post
Crowder is a conservative who pushes a nefarious agenda by using propaganda, the man is a disgrace. His videos do not accurately represent Detroit, he can't even pronounce Gratiot correctly.
This video of Crowder is much better than the OP's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bd1cvpLTo

Old 10-17-2016, 12:21 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
OK...now, why do we always get the promotional PR image of Detroit turning around and never the other side of the coin???

Here's a Video shoot almost 2 yrs old. I hope its better than this now...

SIGH

link

I just spoke to a friend in MI and mentioned this and he gave me this one recent night time view.

link

Man...!
There is plenty of negative press about Detroit. Go back to your utopia.

Detroit's Staggering Murder And Violent Crime Rate Are 'A Public Health Issue' | Huffington Post

Detroit’s Staggering Murder And Violent Crime Rate Are ‘A Public Health Issue’

Detroit Teachers Want You to See These Disturbing Photos of Their Toxic Schools

Detroit’s Teachers Want You to See These Disturbing Photos of Their Toxic Schools

Census bureau: Detroit is poorest big city in U.S.

Census bureau: Detroit is poorest big city in U.S.

Woman pays 182% more for car insurance in Detroit than she would in Ann Arbor | Michigan Radio

Woman pays %182 more for car insurance in Detroit than she would in Ann Arbor

Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 PM

12,490 posts, read 7,595,879 times
The day I read about one of these "hood chasers" (see storm chasers cousins) getting shot or robbed as they attempt to portray how terrible Detroit is by ridding through the "hood", is the day they have legitimacy. Anytime people can ride slow through a supposedly dangerous areas like that.....and nothing happens to them......that tells me it is not as bad as they are trying to make it seem. I want to see the video of them getting pulled out of their cars and getting the crap beat out of them.....otherwise you are just showing people hanging out like they do in Royal Oak.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 PM

551 posts, read 391,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can find whatever you want to show. If you want to show stunningly beautiful neighborhoods and quaint bustling urban areas, you can show that. If you want to show run down housing and streets filled with hooligans, you can show that too. If you want to find areas where seemingly every building is being renovated or newly built - yup that is here. That is pretty much true of every city I know of.

If you are actually wondering how Detroit has gone int he last two or so years: Mid-town and downtown have continued improving dramatically, Brush Park is being torn down and replaced with a stadium and supporting buildings. Cork town has continued to improve although slowly. The neighborhoods that were nice before are still about the same, maybe a bit improved. The neighborhoods that were in decline are still mostly in decline and are worse than they were (except basically empty places like Del Rey, they have no further to go, or at least not much. So you can still find awesome areas and terrible areas. Many of the awesome areas have gotten even better; most of the terrible areas have continued to get worse (with a few exceptions). Could you still make this same video? Absolutely. You could even make one that looks worse. Could you also make a video that makes Detroit look like it is once again the most beautiful City in the USA? Well, probably not quite that far, but you could make it look totally awesome with selective filming like they did in the videos.

yeah...i guess you're Right. I was hoping for more as i was considering a job offer there. The way the recruiter sounded, it was like the next "Austin" of the USA. He kept saying "the Emerald City is Back!!!"

I guess the recruiting company was paying big $ to get job applicants.

Sorry if i offended anyone

Old 10-17-2016, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 4,571 times
Quote:
yeah...i guess you're Right. I was hoping for more as i was considering a job offer there. The way the recruiter sounded, it was like the next "Austin" of the USA. He kept saying "the Emerald City is Back!!!"

Detroit is stunning, the city has some of the best architecture in the country and the most beautiful lakes and parks. Obviously, the city has it's work cut out for it but these videos are unfair representations. As long as you move to the city with a good job your life is going to be great.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:13 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Quote:

Downtown and mid-town are awesome and getting better and better by the month. Other parts of the City are terrible. Detroit is still more fringe than hipster/yuppyville like Austin or Denver. They would be better off selling it as a historic city with amazing bones that are finally being restored after decades of neglect and an exciting place of constant improvement and incredible opportunity.

I cannot think of a City it really compares to. I am not sure there has ever been anything like this (the good part and the bad part of its current status).

Of course there is plenty of bad press, it was once the in thing for media to disseminate grossly exaggerated stories about how awful Detroit was. Now that has turned around and they tend to go the other way, sometimes to a fault. That is also consistent with the City itself. Anything about Detroit that is more than a year or two old, is out of date and no longer relevant. The city of Detroit is like technology, It is constantly improving, so if you are not current in your knowledge, you are outdated and no longer relevant. Complaining about Detroit of 2012, or even 2014, is like complaining about the IPhone 4 and trying tosya you should not buy Apple Phones.

Sure, you can still find bad areas, like you can in Austin, New York, or Seattle. But the core of the city (Downtown and midtown, and now Brush Park area) are exciting and constantly improving, bustling (without being crammed like many of the more popular cities). As mentioned, it has architecture that is matched by very few cities and a rich history and culture.

te bad days are behind us, but aspect of the bad days certainly remain, especially in outlying failed neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods will continue to fail and eventually depopulate even as revitalization works its way outward form the City core. Some parts of the city are gone and will never be recovered.

Will it ever again be called the most beautiful city in America? Probably not. Will it ever be one of the coolest cities in America - it already is.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Turning around or coming back is a process. The "ing" at the end of those words means that it's in the process. But even in Detroit's peak it had bad neighborhoods.

And if your considering a job then those videos are almost completely irrelevant to you unless your making $11.50 an hour with a kid. Would you turn down a job offer in SF, LA, NYC, Miami, DC or Atlanta if you saw bad videos about it? Probably not. It's the same thing here... there are countless upon countless of nice and safe areas in Metro Detroit. If you make good money you are not going to be living in the hood which makes up maybe 15% of the metro Detroit area at the MOST. There are beautiful neighborhoods within the city itself as well... not just the downtown area but even neighborhoods 15 miles away from downtown.

Quote:
The day I read about one of these "hood chasers" (see storm chasers cousins) getting shot or robbed as they attempt to portray how terrible Detroit is by ridding through the "hood", is the day they have legitimacy. Anytime people can ride slow through a supposedly dangerous areas like that.....and nothing happens to them......that tells me it is not as bad as they are trying to make it seem. I want to see the video of them getting pulled out of their cars and getting the crap beat out of them.....otherwise you are just showing people hanging out like they do in Royal Oak.
Exactly, it's so bad it's so terrible but your cruising around there with a fuc*ing CAMERA. And then going out of your way to find the worst areas/ blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit