U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:11 PM

49 posts, read 44,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I decided to start a master's program here this Fall. What a terrible decision. Everything from the administration to the faculty is substandard. The contrast between my undergraduate school and Wayne State is night and day. Professors don't show up to class with any type of game plan, and often are late by ten to fifteen minutes. Administration can't even speak proper english. What a ghetto school. Do not waste your time here.
True. Oakland University is just as ghetto, just more lipstick on the pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM

49 posts, read 44,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Not to mention they just removed mathematics as a general requirement from a lot of undergraduate programs. What a joke. How this university is considered a major research university is beyond me.
Is it possible for a college to lose that R1 research distinction?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,743,997 times
I still think their fencing program is good. When I was living in NYC, circa 2010, I was visiting NYU for the day and WSU was actually at the same fencing invitational. I think NYU should be the school WSU tries to emulate. Attracting people who want the urban experience with a solid hands on education.

Joique Bell is probably the poster child for WSU success post 2000. Lions fan favorites, even though now with the Bears.

WSU typically posts all the agenda items for the Board of Director meetings a week in advance of the meetings - so it's a good way to stay current on enrollment trends, campus developments, housing issues etc.

Board of Governors - Meeting Schedule and Documents

For example - you'll see last month they voted to demolish one dorm and build two more for $114 million.

http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/old_fi...BFC_Item_Y.pdf

Old 10-20-2016, 07:36 AM

2,105 posts, read 1,349,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I still think their fencing program is good.
Currently the football team is ranked #22 in division 2 with a 6-1 record.....
Of course football fan that I am I still say they should dump the program if the University is struggling financially as some have stated.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:27 PM

56 posts, read 41,179 times
I started grad school at another university this past semester as well. While I have never been to WSU and cannot speak for it, your experience sounds typical. I completed my undergrad at another school as well, it also appeared to be more thought out, with more guidance and instruction. I think your experience can be attributed to being a grad student. It's a completely different experience.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:52 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,823,703 times
I had a very interesting conversation recently with a couple of Wayne State grads. They were elderly gentlemen who were instrumental in Silicon Valley during the 70s and 80s. Enough patents between them to make several companies billions in profit.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:41 AM

53 posts, read 50,546 times
Is the University of Windsor a good school?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 AM

939 posts, read 843,762 times
Hard for me to say, Canadian university culture is very different and there are far fewer schools. It's not of the Canadian Ivies, but it's probably on par with a WSU or Central Michigan.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM

53 posts, read 50,546 times
How is the culture different?

Old 12-08-2016, 11:11 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,100,700 times
45 years ago WSU was not only a bargain for UG, but if you wanted to get into professional school, their pre-professional department was tops. Nothing like it. I can't begin to tell you how many people I know (some not really the brightest bulbs) got into medical and dental school after only 3 years, (despite the former having a 5:1 applicant to acceptance ratio). I don't know exactly how they did that, but they did. When I attended grad school there, but still had hopes for med school, I was sent to their pre-professional office, where they had obtained my pre-professional file from U of M. The first thing that woman did? showed me what they wrote (lies and more lies, not to mention attitude and comments guaranteeing I would never get into a professional program, which explained why my apps up to that time went nowhere). She then shredded them, a new file was opened, and 2 years later the professional schools were literally begging me to attend. Huh?

Given the exhorbitant cost of college these days, WSU's historical function as a commuter school, it would behoove them to provide safe avenues of transport to the school from 8 Mile down, and Telegraph eastward, and from the Pointes west. Dangerous slums surround the place, but beyond are 'burbs with highly motivated well-educated potential students, who now just go to Oakland if commuting is their only option.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-08-2016 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or