U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:01 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 899,488 times

Advertisements

I did some undergrad work there before transferring to UMich.

I didn't have any major problems with the professors. In fact, I had some very good Econ and Business Law professors there that were excellent, captivating teachers. My Psych professor was also very interesting. I would say that some of my best undergrad professors were at Wayne, who often times worked in the business world as well, and not UM, where they tended to be more dry and entrenched in academia.

There were a few things I didn't like about Wayne. I think many students who went there just showed up because that was what they needed to do. I felt like more often than not, many of the students didn't take the classes seriously. They didn't take school seriously. That said, I also had some classes with some very smart, and now successful people.

Parking was also a nightmare a lot of the times. I would attend classes after work, and there were times I couldn't find parking around the campus at all.

Overall, I had some really nice experiences at WSU. I had some great professors who really knew how to captivate an audience. One of my first Econ professors was so good that I changed my major to Econ, because I found her class to be absolutely fascinating and fun. I think it gets a lot of its negative reputation because of the quality of student it tends to attract overall. It's an "every man's" type of school, which can be good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:29 PM

937 posts, read 842,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I did some undergrad work there before transferring to UMich.

I didn't have any major problems with the professors. In fact, I had some very good Econ and Business Law professors there that were excellent, captivating teachers. My Psych professor was also very interesting. I would say that some of my best undergrad professors were at Wayne, who often times worked in the business world as well, and not UM, where they tended to be more dry and entrenched in academia.

There were a few things I didn't like about Wayne. I think many students who went there just showed up because that was what they needed to do. I felt like more often than not, many of the students didn't take the classes seriously. They didn't take school seriously. That said, I also had some classes with some very smart, and now successful people.

Parking was also a nightmare a lot of the times. I would attend classes after work, and there were times I couldn't find parking around the campus at all.

Overall, I had some really nice experiences at WSU. I had some great professors who really knew how to captivate an audience. One of my first Econ professors was so good that I changed my major to Econ, because I found her class to be absolutely fascinating and fun. I think it gets a lot of its negative reputation because of the quality of student it tends to attract overall. It's an "every man's" type of school, which can be good and bad.
Copy and paste this to any commuter school.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM

53 posts, read 50,503 times
WSU is what you will make of it bottom line

Old 12-13-2016, 01:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
For undergrad, you're probably better off commuting to UM Dearborn of the local commuter colleges if you don't live close enough to Oakland U. Wayne and EMU both have institutional issues while Oakland and UMD have improved dramatically. That being said, all schools offer different things and I think Wayne State would be wise to focus on attracting the kinds of students from the suburbs who head off to fly by night schools in Chicago like Columbia College or Roosevelt University to be fleeced in exchange for getting to live in a big city. WSU is in the heart of the coolest part of Detroit, they could sell that way better than they do.
1. What institutional issues do Wayne State University and Eastern Michigan University have?

2. How have Oakland and U of M-Dearborn "improved dramatically"? What timeframe are you talking about within which this dramatic improvement has taken place?

3. Why did you lump in EMU with the commuter schools?

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Old 12-13-2016, 03:03 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
You did not ask me, but I can partly answer some of these.

1. What institutional issues do Wayne State University and Eastern Michigan University have?

Well ten or more years ago, the EMU president had to resign because they lied about some crime or something. My guess is that is what is being referred to.

When my daughter graduated from EMU, I had to threaten to sue them to get her diploma. It was also a huge fight to get the honors on it that she earned, they acknowledged she earned but would not include on her diploma (not sure she ever got them, but they do not matter a whole lot in teaching). While she attended EMU, some things were a bit of a nightmare. She was told the wrong requirements for her major and for honors, and ended up having to take some additional classes (she went 5 years and several spring/summer classes too). At least one Dean and two professors made promises to her about how things would work, and then reneged, or never had authority to do what they promised. This required her to take more classes. So, while our recent experience with EMU conforms with the sentiment, I am not sure they are indicative of an overall "institutional issue" It does pretty much guarantee my daughter will never be a donating Alum. She pretty much hates the University as an institution I think.

Not sure what Wayne's supposed issues are. I heard that some time ago, someone got in deep doo doo for embezzling money that was being donated to Wayne State. That is the only thing I am aware of. Their registration process was a nightmare when I went there, but that was before many or most of the posters on this site were born I think.

2. How have Oakland and U of M-Dearborn "improved dramatically"? What time frame are you talking about within which this dramatic improvement has taken place?

Both have improved the reputation and staus pretty dramatically. When I was in college Oakland was basically a CC on steroids, and I never heard of U-M Dearborn until I went to law school and discovered my roommate had graduated from there (despite never graduating from high school). I think both of them are pretty well respected as regional schools now and even enjoy some national recognition in certain areas.

3. Why did you lump in EMU with the commuter schools?

There are still quite lot of commuters at EMU, especially if you include students who live in nearby Apartments (like Ann Arbor), but not on campus. Even the kids living in dorms tend to go home on weekends. It is basically dead on weekends - at least compared to other schools. Their huge commuter parking areas are full on weekdays. Parking is plentiful all over on weekends. It does still have a commuter vibe, but it is also not fully like Wayne when I attended (pretty much all commuters). I guess you might say it has a mixed vibe now.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Only 3000 of EMU's 23,000 students live on campus.

College students opt to commute as costs creep higher

You can compare the profiles of UMD, WSU, EMU and OU below and see how they stack up:

University of Michigan--Dearborn | University of Michigan--Dearborn - Profile, Rankings and Data | Michigan Dearborn | US News Best Colleges

Wayne State University | Wayne State University - Profile, Rankings and Data | Wayne State | US News Best Colleges

Eastern Michigan University | Eastern Michigan University - Profile, Rankings and Data | Eastern Michigan University | US News Best Colleges

Oakland University | Oakland University - Profile, Rankings and Data | Oakland University | US News Best Colleges

Compare selectivity and program rankings as well as acceptance rate. Oakland and UMD have risen dramatically over 20 years while the others have fallen. On program rankings, UMD is the best school in the metro.

EMU and WSU have different issues, WSU has had to manage declining enrollments and financial issues while EMU has had problems growing and with campus security. Their stock in trade, providing teachers to Detroit area schools, has been hurt by the general overabundance of recent BEd grads, too, hence their attempts to create an honors college.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:10 AM

Meant to add this last night... EMU's campus environment is constantly improving as Ypsilanti gentrifies and becomes home to more and more Ann Arbor exiles so I expect it will eventually attract better students and get more of them on campus. Some of the coolest places in Washtenaw County right now are in Ypsilanti as opposed to A2, which is nice.

Also worth noting is that USNWR beats around the bush on UMD... the reason it has improved so dramatically is that every credit transfers to Ann Arbor, meaning a student with a better than 3.0 GPA there has a great shot of spending their last two years of college at the main campus. Even if you don't end up transferring, though, you do get a normal UM diploma, get all the perks of being a UM alumnus and many of the perks of being a UM student, including football tickets... the school has even taken to calling it's sub-NCAA sports teams the Wolverines and outfitting them in used UM athletic gear to reinforce the connection. It's a pretty great deal and people have recognized that.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:32 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 899,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Meant to add this last night... EMU's campus environment is constantly improving as Ypsilanti gentrifies and becomes home to more and more Ann Arbor exiles so I expect it will eventually attract better students and get more of them on campus. Some of the coolest places in Washtenaw County right now are in Ypsilanti as opposed to A2, which is nice.

Also worth noting is that USNWR beats around the bush on UMD... the reason it has improved so dramatically is that every credit transfers to Ann Arbor, meaning a student with a better than 3.0 GPA there has a great shot of spending their last two years of college at the main campus. Even if you don't end up transferring, though, you do get a normal UM diploma, get all the perks of being a UM alumnus and many of the perks of being a UM student, including football tickets... the school has even taken to calling it's sub-NCAA sports teams the Wolverines and outfitting them in used UM athletic gear to reinforce the connection. It's a pretty great deal and people have recognized that.
As a UM-AA grad, I feel kind of cheated by this news, and I have the student loan payments to prove it.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
As a UM-AA grad, I feel kind of cheated by this news, and I have the student loan payments to prove it.
I should have added a caveat, "all the perks of being a UM alumnus" means in terms of access to things like football tickets or the university golf course... the actual perk of being a UM-AA grad is the networking done, the quality of education received and the level of internships and recruiting interest offered. UM-D grads get to sit next to you in the Big House or at an alumni association event but the vast majority are very honest about the differences between their education and an Ann Arbor education Very few people I know who went there would try to portray themselves as "real Michigan" grads, some even develop a complex about it that leads to a visceral distaste for all things UM-AA related. My understanding is that Flint and Dearborn are legally simply colleges of the university, like LSA or Ross, but are functionally independent.

That being said, the University (meaning the tri-campus institution here) does their best to blur the lines where possible. UM-D now holds spring commencements in the Crisler Center in Ann Arbor the same weekend as UM-AA holds commencement in Michigan Stadium and UM-D students are encouraged to get their pictures taken at the Michigan Union along with the AA grads. UM-D's entire marketing strategy relies on the prominence of the block M logo. And their bookstore stocks almost no apparel with the word "Dearborn" on it.

And that is well and fine, nobody outside of the metro area would know the difference. No hiring manage in Metro Detroit really knows the specifics of Oklahoma State-OKC's relationship with Oklahoma State-Stillwater, either. So this is kind of academic.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:32 PM

49 posts, read 44,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lmao you can't be serious. Deal with the crime on campus? WSU is ranked top 50 safest college campuses in America. There is also a ton more things to do and see and going on in general in and around Wayne State.

Furthermore, if you can't fathom why most people in Metro Detroit would commute to WSU over OU then you should pull out a map. Most people who live Downriver or in the west suburbs couldn't fathom going on a mini road trip all the way up to a land far far away on a daily basis just to go to class. Hell, even the north burbs south of I-696 is closer to WSU.

Not everyone commutes, but if they do, OU is free parking, 100% safe.

I think even UM-Dearborn is a better option than Wayne. Wayne and EMU are just Godawful scam schools.

I know a couple of rich guys that are alums of EMU and WSU, but they are outliers, and I believe they both were on 100% scholarship when they attended. You couldn't pay me to send my kids to those colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or