U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:39 PM

49 posts, read 44,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Meant to add this last night... EMU's campus environment is constantly improving as Ypsilanti gentrifies and becomes home to more and more Ann Arbor exiles so I expect it will eventually attract better students and get more of them on campus. Some of the coolest places in Washtenaw County right now are in Ypsilanti as opposed to A2, which is nice.

Also worth noting is that USNWR beats around the bush on UMD... the reason it has improved so dramatically is that every credit transfers to Ann Arbor, meaning a student with a better than 3.0 GPA there has a great shot of spending their last two years of college at the main campus. Even if you don't end up transferring, though, you do get a normal UM diploma, get all the perks of being a UM alumnus and many of the perks of being a UM student, including football tickets... the school has even taken to calling it's sub-NCAA sports teams the Wolverines and outfitting them in used UM athletic gear to reinforce the connection. It's a pretty great deal and people have recognized that.
More like 3.75 GPA and above.

Everything else you listed is the same scraps any flagship gives their satellite students. Nobody conflates Dearborn and Ann Arbor. Go ahead and leave "Dearborn, Michigan" off your resume, it would take any employer five seconds to tease out the truth. Intentionally misrepresenting your degree in an attempt to trick me would get you laughed at and thrown out of my office immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 899,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
Not everyone commutes, but if they do, OU is free parking, 100% safe.

I think even UM-Dearborn is a better option than Wayne. Wayne and EMU are just Godawful scam schools.

I know a couple of rich guys that are alums of EMU and WSU, but they are outliers, and I believe they both were on 100% scholarship when they attended. You couldn't pay me to send my kids to those colleges.
Scam schools? I don't buy it. What's your reasoning?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 PM

49 posts, read 44,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Scam schools? I don't buy it. What's your reasoning?
Worst graduation rates in the state, corrupt administration, outrageous tuition hikes to balance budget, terrible reputations, campus crime...

Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 899,488 times
Quote:
Worst graduation rates in the state, corrupt administration, outrageous tuition hikes to balance budget, terrible reputations, campus crime...
I don't think poor reputation in certain areas make it a scam school. Most schools hike tuition every year. Graduation rates probably has more to do with the fact that it's in Detroit than anything else.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 PM

939 posts, read 843,019 times
Quote:
More like 3.75 GPA and above.

Everything else you listed is the same scraps any flagship gives their satellite students. Nobody conflates Dearborn and Ann Arbor. Go ahead and leave "Dearborn, Michigan" off your resume, it would take any employer five seconds to tease out the truth. Intentionally misrepresenting your degree in an attempt to trick me would get you laughed at and thrown out of my office immediately.
I did it. You do not need a 3.75 GPA, or at least did not in 2010. A 3.0 is the requirement, a 3.25 or higher with guaranteed transferable credits will make you golden.

I've never met anyone from UM-Dearborn who actually tries to claim they went to Ann Arbor or trick employers. I do know many people from Ann Arbor who assume that everyone from the branch campuses is doing that. Having attended both, I don't think it is real concern. As I said, many at Dearborn develop an intense dislike of the school's attempts to be Ann Arbor Jr.

I don't think anyone who knows that UM-Dearborn is a thing would conflate the two. People in Seattle do not know what UM-Dearborn is and hiring managers in Michigan do not know what UW-Tacoma is and people in Seattle and Detroit do not know what the University of Cincinnati-Clermont is and nobody really knows what Indiana University-Northwest is. Small branch campuses like those are parochial and outside of the region they serve they rely heavily on the reputation and name of the flagship.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:52 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
My daughter went to Dearborn because she applied too late to Ann Arbor and got wait listed. When Ann Arbor accepted her, she was already part way into the semester and enjoying it. Then she decided to just stay at Dearborn. She had developed good relationships with the professors in her area(in fact, they still have their annual department party at our house despite she graduated three years ago). Her friends at Ann Arbor did not know any professors and most had mostly TAs teaching their intro type courses. Dearborn is small and homey. Ann Arbor big and intimidating. At Dearborn she got to assist with experiments and even conduct her own. Ann Arbor only grad students do that for the most part. Yes, her professors were less famous, but she actually met them. She worked on their projects that got published. She attended conferences with them. At Dearborn she was a top honors student. Ann Arbor she woudl be just another coed.

She was/is proud of Dearborn and has no interested in creating the appearance she attended Ann Arbor. By the time she gets her PhD where she attended as an undergrad will be pretty irrelevant. What she published/presented, what awards she won will have more of an impact.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 AM

53 posts, read 50,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My daughter went to Dearborn because she applied too late to Ann Arbor and got wait listed. When Ann Arbor accepted her, she was already part way into the semester and enjoying it. Then she decided to just stay at Dearborn. She had developed good relationships with the professors in her area(in fact, they still have their annual department party at our house despite she graduated three years ago). Her friends at Ann Arbor did not know any professors and most had mostly TAs teaching their intro type courses. Dearborn is small and homey. Ann Arbor big and intimidating. At Dearborn she got to assist with experiments and even conduct her own. Ann Arbor only grad students do that for the most part. Yes, her professors were less famous, but she actually met them. She worked on their projects that got published. She attended conferences with them. At Dearborn she was a top honors student. Ann Arbor she woudl be just another coed.

She was/is proud of Dearborn and has no interested in creating the appearance she attended Ann Arbor. By the time she gets her PhD where she attended as an undergrad will be pretty irrelevant. What she published/presented, what awards she won will have more of an impact.
It doesn't matter really lol, my degree says University of Illinois it doesn't matter I went to the Chicago campus LOL

Good for your daughter.....she didn't need the Ann Arbor name, she did it on her own merits

Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 AM

Honestly, as an alumnus, a Michigan degree is only worth the paper it is printed on if you put nothing into it either. People who think that the college makes the person as opposed to vice versa are either deluding themselves or are inexperienced. When I transferred to Ann Arbor, I ended up sharing a house with several RC students who were just moving out on their own. One of them majored in German and works at a call center, one of them is a pre-school teacher, one of them is getting an MSW at Wayne State now. The most successful of my friend group has a really solid job... working for a company at which his dad is a VP. One of my high school friends who got his engineering degree from Dearborn probably makes nearly as much as the four of them combined. C'est la vie.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:40 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I should have added a caveat, "all the perks of being a UM alumnus" means in terms of access to things like football tickets or the university golf course... the actual perk of being a UM-AA grad is the networking done, the quality of education received and the level of internships and recruiting interest offered. UM-D grads get to sit next to you in the Big House or at an alumni association event but the vast majority are very honest about the differences between their education and an Ann Arbor education Very few people I know who went there would try to portray themselves as "real Michigan" grads, some even develop a complex about it that leads to a visceral distaste for all things UM-AA related. My understanding is that Flint and Dearborn are legally simply colleges of the university, like LSA or Ross, but are functionally independent.

That being said, the University (meaning the tri-campus institution here) does their best to blur the lines where possible. UM-D now holds spring commencements in the Crisler Center in Ann Arbor the same weekend as UM-AA holds commencement in Michigan Stadium and UM-D students are encouraged to get their pictures taken at the Michigan Union along with the AA grads. UM-D's entire marketing strategy relies on the prominence of the block M logo. And their bookstore stocks almost no apparel with the word "Dearborn" on it.

And that is well and fine, nobody outside of the metro area would know the difference. No hiring manage in Metro Detroit really knows the specifics of Oklahoma State-OKC's relationship with Oklahoma State-Stillwater, either. So this is kind of academic.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I can't tell you how many UM-D grads I know who tell people that they simply went to "Michigan." I'm married to a grad that is honest about the difference, though.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. I can't tell you how many UM-D grads I know who tell people that they simply went to "Michigan." I'm married to a grad that is honest about the difference, though.
Your mileage may vary. I'd argue that the administration actively encourages and endorses that behavior implicitly, professors at the school (many of whom are Ann Arbor alums or do research at Ann Arbor in addition to teaching at Dearborn) often extol students to remember that they are Michigan students. And given the level of integration within the University as a systemwide entity, I'd think Ann Arbor would object if they felt it worth their time. It's a dick move, but the last time I was on campus at Dearborn their bookstore was selling a shirt that said "Hire me, I'm a Michigan grad!".

I know many unaffiliated people who conflate the two. My boss, for example, told us our summer intern was a Michigan student only for us to later discover she was going to the Flint campus. I would tell such people that I was going to "fake Michigan" or "a University of Michigan" if I wanted to be snarky before I transferred.

Last edited by brodie734; 12-15-2016 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or