U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 902,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Honestly, as an alumnus, a Michigan degree is only worth the paper it is printed on if you put nothing into it either. People who think that the college makes the person as opposed to vice versa are either deluding themselves or are inexperienced. When I transferred to Ann Arbor, I ended up sharing a house with several RC students who were just moving out on their own. One of them majored in German and works at a call center, one of them is a pre-school teacher, one of them is getting an MSW at Wayne State now. The most successful of my friend group has a really solid job... working for a company at which his dad is a VP. One of my high school friends who got his engineering degree from Dearborn probably makes nearly as much as the four of them combined. C'est la vie.
Major has little to do with it, as it's more about ambition and business acumen. Some people aren't cut out for a gritty business career, hence the reason why some people are drawn to certain fields of study than others (i.e. Arts and Humanities over Finance or Accounting). That's not to say that someone who gets a BFA or MFA can't be successful in business. I worked for a company where the CEO and founder had a MFA from Northwestern and managed a very successful moving and storage online management business where we had multiple contracts with F500 companies.

That said, people who get into better schools tend to be more motivated by success, and hence tend to be driven towards a successful career/life. However, not going to a top ranked school also does not preclude you from a successful career/life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:51 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,823,425 times
Quote:
...but the last time I was on campus at Dearborn their bookstore was selling a shirt that said "Hire me, I'm a Michigan grad!".
I can't even...

Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM

84 posts, read 255,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveStRene View Post
How is the culture different?
Backing up what someone said earlier in this thread, universities in Canada are much more standardized....There are only about 50 universities in all of Canada and there aren't the vast differences among them that you'd find in the U.S. There are no 'bad' schools since they are all heavily government funded.

That said, there are three categories of universities in Canada:
Medical/Doctoral, Comprehensive, Primarily Undergraduate

UWindsor is in the "Comprehensive" category which means it has a wide variety of programs for both undergraduate and graduate students but not as many as the Medical/Doctoral category.

The nearest Medical/Doctoral school is the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:49 AM

3,019 posts, read 3,160,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lmao you can't be serious. Deal with the crime on campus? WSU is ranked top 50 safest college campuses in America. There is also a ton more things to do and see and going on in general in and around Wayne State.

Furthermore, if you can't fathom why most people in Metro Detroit would commute to WSU over OU then you should pull out a map. Most people who live Downriver or in the west suburbs couldn't fathom going on a mini road trip all the way up to a land far far away on a daily basis just to go to class. Hell, even the north burbs south of I-696 is closer to WSU.
I agree with you. Some people just have reeeeaallly outdated stereotypes. Midtown/New Center is mushrooming with retail and apartments and the new Q-1 streetcar is soon going in. WSU is a good school -- it, along with MSU and UM, is a Michigan constitutionally recognized research U and is part of Michigan's Research Corridor... If anything, nowadays Wayne State U. is the place to be.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM

6,052 posts, read 7,386,458 times
Quote:
For undergrad, you're probably better off commuting to UM Dearborn of the local commuter colleges if you don't live close enough to Oakland U. Wayne and EMU both have institutional issues while Oakland and UMD have improved dramatically. That being said, all schools offer different things and I think Wayne State would be wise to focus on attracting the kinds of students from the suburbs who head off to fly by night schools in Chicago like Columbia College or Roosevelt University to be fleeced in exchange for getting to live in a big city. WSU is in the heart of the coolest part of Detroit, they could sell that way better than they do.

Another fly-by-night university in Chicago is the Illinois Institute of Technology. One of my coworkers started his engineering education there, but finished at Oakland U. IIT's tuition is outrageous, and the school discourages co-op assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or