U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2016, 02:09 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Reputation: 1864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha7V View Post
We are also a millennial family with young kids. When looking for a place to move to be closer to my husband's job near Detroit everyone older than us told us to stay in Livingston county. They would drive from Howell/Fenton to Detroit every day!! I cannot believe people do that drive just to have a huge house and yard. You couldn't pay us to drive that far. I much prefer my new house in the Pointes. Even the people are friendlier here surprisingly.

Yes, I know some that moved away but most of them aren't married. Most of the pre-2010 grads I knew stayed and I know of many who did move and are now back in Michigan once getting married.
Hi, can you share a little of your experience living in the Grosse Pointes? What do you like about it? What are some drawbacks? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
On an evening walk this week I noted something I had not really realized before. There are a huge number of small apartments/offices being renovated in smaller buildings. I counted 18 6-10 story buildings with the upper floor apartments/office being renovated on my half hour walkabout. Normally I do not pay any attention to those smaller buildings, but there are dozens and dozens of them and it looks like every third one if being renovated. I wonder if there wil be a market dip when all that space becomes available.
A minor dip I would welcome. Downtown is getting too expensive. It doesn't have enough just yet to justify the prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
A minor dip I would welcome. Downtown is getting too expensive. It doesn't have enough just yet to justify the prices.
It really is, honestly. But you can't fault the building owners for taking advantage of the insane demand right now. For the first time since idk when, there are more people that want to live downtown then downtown currently has room for. I think a few high rises (especially for apartments/condos) will balance it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Past: midwest, east coast
603 posts, read 735,694 times
Reputation: 623
Kind of random but I've noticed the Auburn Hills area in and around Great Lakes mall has become a bit run down over the years. That entire area was brand spanking new and nice in the early 00's and now it's all broken and attracts some shady people (before being called racist I'd like to make note that these folks are both white and black). I choose to drive an extra 5 mins to Bloomfield Hills to do my shopping instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times
Reputation: 3554
Two weeks ago, demolition started on that eye-sore of an abandoned Pontiac dealership in Royal Oak that had been previously discussed in this topic:



Allegedly this will become a commercial shops/hotel over the next couple years. - further evidence that Southeast Oakland County is most definitely not in decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2016, 04:45 PM
 
23 posts, read 20,617 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Hi, can you share a little of your experience living in the Grosse Pointes? What do you like about it? What are some drawbacks? Thanks
We have only been here for one month but so far we love it. There are a ton of options for grocery shopping. I can walk to many places like kroger, library, elementary school, cafes and restaurants. My neighbors are very friendly. We had one recommend a teen babysitter to us we used last night and she was great. I haven't had any bad encounters with people. Everyone is down to earth and friendly. Some said people would be snobs here but I haven't had that experience yet.

We love living close to the city (less than 15 min to downtown on off times) and close to the suburbs. I feel safe and we love walks in the beautiful neighborhood. Drawback would be a decent mall is 20 minutes away but I'm not a big mall shopper and I don't mind driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Reputation: 32938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha7V View Post
We have only been here for one month but so far we love it. There are a ton of options for grocery shopping. I can walk to many places like kroger, library, elementary school, cafes and restaurants. My neighbors are very friendly. We had one recommend a teen babysitter to us we used last night and she was great. I haven't had any bad encounters with people. Everyone is down to earth and friendly. Some said people would be snobs here but I haven't had that experience yet.

We love living close to the city (less than 15 min to downtown on off times) and close to the suburbs. I feel safe and we love walks in the beautiful neighborhood. Drawback would be a decent mall is 20 minutes away but I'm not a big mall shopper and I don't mind driving.
Is there a movie theater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,852 posts, read 1,788,166 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post
Kind of random but I've noticed the Auburn Hills area in and around Great Lakes mall has become a bit run down over the years. That entire area was brand spanking new and nice in the early 00's and now it's all broken and attracts some shady people (before being called racist I'd like to make note that these folks are both white and black). I choose to drive an extra 5 mins to Bloomfield Hills to do my shopping instead.
The Great Lakes seems to have a bit of a teenage gang problem.. yes, of all colors.

Also, the closing of GM truck plant and some other facilities in Pontiac had a bad impact on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2016, 07:11 AM
 
23 posts, read 20,617 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Is there a movie theater?

I havent checked. We don't actually go to the movies because we just rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha7V View Post
I havent checked. We don't actually go to the movies because we just rent.
Can I point out how much it blew my mind upon moving here that you have video rental stores??!? I don't think I'd rented a movie since probably 2008 - except maybe a time or two at a Redbox. Not because I don't want to, but rather because there's no where to do so in Utah. Here there's a Family Video in every town! Good for them for weathering the downfall of an industry that took giants like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top