U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 07:32 PM

279 posts, read 470,080 times

Advertisements

Which one and why?

I've been talking to my significant other more about this move.

We do like the down river areas of New Boston (Huron School District), we are the F150 type that many described living in that area. We don't mind a rural neighborhood with a little bit of land.

We also like the idea of Grosse Ile also. Small town feel, everything you need is on the island but not too far anything either (Grosse Ile Schools). How is the traffic from both of those places to the downtown area (Michigan Ave).

We've also looked into Canton/Plymouth, West Bloomfield Township as well as St. Claire Shores Auburn, and Rochester... With having never been there it makes all these decisions very hard. We don't mind an affluent area so long as it is also humble.

So please provide some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,811,693 times
HPY1, I can only address northern Oakland County for you.

Auburn Hills isn't rural. It's basically a city that was conjured up out of the remains of Pontiac Township when the area became commercially developed. It's main selling point is that I-75 runs through the middle of it and that it has a number of corporations that exist there, Chrysler and various auto suppliers. It does have residential areas, but there's no good city center, and it doesn't have a small town feel to it.

Rochester Hills is mostly built it and definitely isn't rural. It's more a combination of typical Oakland County suburb with a local university and a downtown (actually the city of Rochester) that tends to be more trendy than humble. Rochester Hills is the land of the SUV, not the F-150.

If you're willing to extend your commute from 30 mines to an hour, you'll find what you're looking for in communities like Lake Orion, Oxford, and Holly - smaller communities with defined small downtown centers and more rural atmospheres.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:37 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Which one and why?

I've been talking to my significant other more about this move.

We do like the down river areas of New Boston (Huron School District), we are the F150 type that many described living in that area. We don't mind a rural neighborhood with a little bit of land.

We also like the idea of Grosse Ile also. Small town feel, everything you need is on the island but not too far anything either (Grosse Ile Schools). How is the traffic from both of those places to the downtown area (Michigan Ave).

We've also looked into Canton/Plymouth, West Bloomfield Township as well as St. Claire Shores Auburn, and Rochester... With having never been there it makes all these decisions very hard. We don't mind an affluent area so long as it is also humble.

So please provide some input.
As mentioned elsewhere, don't know anything really about New Boston, other than it is small and not talked about much.

Grosse Ile - (my home): Lots of information on other threads available. Just search for "Ile" Commute to downtown is 37 minutes. That can be increased by snow, trains (happens a lot), accidents, and possibly time of day (I try not to drive in the peak of rush hour). Time will increase or decrease depending on where in GI you are. Out on Hickory Island - add about 10 minutes. Near a bridge, subtract 5 minutes. GI is not ideal for everyone. If you are looking for Rochester Hills or Canton, you probably will not much like GI. GI is more about open space, kind of a park like setting. A good example of what I am trying to convey: Our wood and tires playscape fits in perfectly here. A chrome and plastic one would not fit in so well (even though it may be considered safer/more appealing to many people and kids). GI tends to be kind of an old fashioned place to some extent (most, but not everyone feels that way). Growth is controlled, especially subdivision growth (as in - if a developer tries to develop a subdivision the Township has a committee that tries to buy the land and designate it as "Greenspace" We have all the traffic, traffic lights, stores, concrete, and cookie cutter houses we ever want to have. Most people like to say "Enough - no more" If you really want a new house, most will be custom built and expensive. However there are a few subs that get slipped in once in a while. Waterfront homes are all custom and pricey (start around $450,000 on the West side and around $750,000 on the east side (multiple millions on the north east). Canal homes can be found cheaper. Inland pretty much starting around $250,000 but there are a few in the $150 - $200K range. I know one guy who got a house during the recession for $12,000, but that is not likely to happen ever again.

Canton and Rochester hills are very much alike. Subdivision clusters with lots of strip malls/chains and big box stores. Both have nice small towns nearby (Plymouth and Rochester). RH is fancier and considered better located by those who believe everything worthwhile in Michigan is in North Oakland County. Canton has Ann Arbor nearby (to me that has more appeal than North Oakland, but opinions vary). Rochester Hills has a Metropark and lots of open/empty areas not too far away. Rochester Hills/Auburn Hills will put you in the worst traffic I think. From Canton, 94/96 in and out of Detroit are not too bad. One of them (I forget which) is rarely patrolled. A friend who commuted form Ann Arbor to Detroit said he typically drives 100 MPH on his commute.

I do not know a lot about living in Auburn Hills. Chrysler is there, OU is there, the Palace Great Lakes crossing and the new Michigan Aquarium. It used to be considered not that great a place to live 15 or 20 years ago (maybe a bit more than that), but suddenly got nicer. I know a couple of families who live there, they like it particularly because they are right on the edge of Rochester Hills and a short drive/bike ride form Great Lakes crossing. The Pontiac side used to be considerably less desirable, but Pontiac is improving, so maybe that has gotten better. Traffic will be simlar to Rochester Hills. Houses and taxes should be considerably cheaper than RH. RH is pretty upscale and pricey.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,460,894 times
Auburn Hills is touchy as far as schools go. Depending on where you live, you could be in one of three districts. Rochester Community Schools is the best of the three. Avondale School District is pretty average. It isn't bad, but it isn't a top school, either. Compared to other area school districts, it doesn't rank nearly as well, but if you compared it to schools in other areas, you'd find it pretty standard. Then, you have Pontiac School district. Not good. At all.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Great feed back thank you.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:28 PM

915 posts, read 1,158,418 times
If you need something close to downtown and humble, then I'd go with St. Clair Shores or Harrison Twp. Grosse Ile would also do well.

None of them are not pretentious and it would be a reasonable commute.

West Bloomfield and Rochester/Auburn Hills are just out of the way for a decent daily commute.

I'd also put Canton on that list because downtown is 40 minutes away on a good day (w/out snow, ice, bad weather/traffic accidents).

Get familiar with the area before you buy. Sometimes things look really close on the map, but trying to drive between point A and point B isn't as direct or intuitive as you'd think it would be in reality.

That's why W. Bloomfield/Rochester/Auburn Hills would just be a "No" in my book, if you had to commute to downtown Detroit everyday.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
If you need something close to downtown and humble, then I'd go with St. Clair Shores or Harrison Twp. Grosse Ile would also do well.

None of them are not pretentious and it would be a reasonable commute.

West Bloomfield and Rochester/Auburn Hills are just out of the way for a decent daily commute.

I'd also put Canton on that list because downtown is 40 minutes away on a good day (w/out snow, ice, bad weather/traffic accidents).

Get familiar with the area before you buy. Sometimes things look really close on the map, but trying to drive between point A and point B isn't as direct or intuitive as you'd think it would be in reality.

That's why W. Bloomfield/Rochester/Auburn Hills would just be a "No" in my book, if you had to commute to downtown Detroit everyday.
Thank you!

Old 11-01-2016, 01:52 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
To me, Grosse Ile is at the edge of my commute tolerance to Downtown. It is normally 37 minutes, which means frequently 1 hour and sometimes longer. I would like a substantially shorter commute, but short if Indian Village or Grosse Pointe, there are not too many viable options, plus we are now settled in GI and love the uniqueness of the community.

I would be on the edge with Canton. It is only a little longer on good days, but good days are fewer. Western Suburbs are more popular than downriver, so you will likely hit more traffic (however the past two weeks the I75 has been horrible - several accidents every single morning, but that is very unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or