Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 PM

27 posts, read 33,859 times

Advertisements

To start this post, i have visited Detroit numerous times( because my mother is from there and i still have family, cousins, etc that still live there) most of my family is in macomb county part of metro Detroit, specially St Claire shores and romeo, Michigan. every time i visit, i like to go to downtown Detroit because im into urban and downtown culture. so......kill me for saying this but,.... i always thought downtown Detroit looked kind of like a Gotham city look. i every time i visit there, i literally picture batman on a old 1920's-40's building in downtown. also i noticed there is a lot of buildings with gargoyles on the old high-rise buildings. it makes it look Gothic and menacing like Gotham city. the fisher building, the Penobscot building( if i'm spelling in correctly) all remind me of Gotham city.

I promise i'm not trying to troll at all, this is how i sincerely perceive how downtown looks. don't know if im crazy for viewing it like this, but does anyone else see this? also if i'm making mistakes on my impressions of downtown, please feel free to correct me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 10:46 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Gargoyles? Your eyes are playing tricks on you.
Both the Penobscot and Fisher buildings are Art Deco and neither have gargoyles. The Penobscot has some Aztec-looking people on the outside: The Fisher has some eagles in places:
But no gargoyles.

Detroit does have quite a bit of Art Deco, but very little Gothic/Neo-Gothic architecture. The Metropolitan Building is probably the most ornate Neo-Gothic building (off the top of my head at least). Cadillac Tower is the only 'skyscraper' that is neo-gothic.

I guess Batman vs. Superman did a good job selling Detroit as Gotham City....

Old 10-23-2016, 11:06 PM

27 posts, read 33,859 times
[quote=jaynarie;45921568]Gargoyles? Your eyes are playing tricks on you.
Both the Penobscot and Fisher buildings are Art Deco and neither have gargoyles. The Penobscot has some Aztec-looking people on the outside: The Fisher has some eagles in places:
But no gargoyles.

Detroit does have quite a bit of Art Deco, but very little Gothic/Neo-Gothic architecture. The Metropolitan Building is probably the most ornate Neo-Gothic building (off the top of my head at least). Cadillac Tower is the only 'skyscraper' that is neo-gothic.

I guess Batman vs. Superman did a good job selling Detroit as Gotham City....[/QUOTE]

LOL, haha i guess so also, i didn't mean to specifically say those specific buildings had gargoyles on them, but if i remember correctly, i thought i recalled seeing some buildings( not sure which names) had gargoyles on them. i could be wrong though.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
LOL edge of midtown does give that feeling that something will fly out from behind those empty abandoned building

Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Detroit has the third largest collection of pre-World War II skyscrapers, only Chicago and New York have more.

A lot of buildings originally had gargoyles, however, they were removed in the 1950's and 1960's for fear that they would fall off the buildings.

There is one smaller building downtown that still has its gargoyles. It is here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3328...8i6656!6m1!1e1

(see the first floor)

Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
The Old Wayne County Building has some prominent statues on top, maybe that is what the OP was thinking of. No gargoyles, but it has a sort of Gotham look to it. Also, a lot of the buildings are clad n dark stone or brick so it can give it kind of a brooding atmosphere at night, like they were trying to achieve with Gotham. Much of Detroit is far more open however.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Not sure why the exterior ornamentation on the Buhl, Griswold (Albert), or Guardian Building are of that Aztec or Native American influence... must have been a fad back then? Yeah, not gothic though, much more deco or maybe moderne...

Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Detroit is Art Deco heaven.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
The looks and atmosphere in the tv series Gotham and in the Batman movies always made me believe Gotham city is based on Detroit. But gargoyles? I always assumed that was something fictional from the original ghostbusters movie.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 PM

603 posts, read 877,616 times
I feel the same. Personally I get an overwhelming feeling and sense of dread as I head toward Detroit. That doesn't mean I don't want the city to succeed or that I have no desire to head down there, but it does kind of put a damper on things. Living in the suburbs, it's quite amazing how it feels like an entirely different world out here. You'd have no idea you're in a metropolis whose city center that looks like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: