Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:16 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times

Advertisements

A lot of people know of these two cities as the two ugly twins on the river. But what I can't understand is that literally just across the border into Wyandotte, the homes are beautiful. What has caused the city of Ecorse, which barely touches Detroit, and has great riverfront real estate, to become such a hole? River Rouge borders a lot of Detroit and has the oh so beautiful Zug Island within its city limits, which puts it in a nastier place than Ecorse, and it also has a huge section of industry on its riverfront area. The homes are identical in these cities to the nice homes in Wyandotte, yet they are much more like Detroit. I drove through Ecorse today and noticed one very well kept, great looking house all decked out for the summer on W. Jefferson in Ecorse. It's too bad more people couldn't do this to their home there.

Has anyone here lived in either of these two cities or have any light to shed on when they took a downturn and why, and what are these cities hoping to gain? I can't think of much of any middle class people who would say "I want to buy a house in River Rouge".

Last edited by cardwellave; 05-25-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Could it possibly be because of the close proximity to the former Great Lakes Steel (now U.S. Steel)? For comparison, take a look at the scruffy areas near the old BASF plant in Wyandotte and the old McLouth Steel plant in Trenton. Could it also be because both Wyandotte and Trenton have pulled their downtown areas up by the bootstraps with unique shops and a street fair? I think it also has to do with the corruption of the city government in Ecorse (which went into receivership several years ago) and River Rouge. Just my thoughts. PS: loved your "oh so beautiful Zug Island" comment. LOL

Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
River Rouge and Ecorse are but a collection of areas around the industrial epicenter that pockmarks south-east Michigan.

People got wise and left when they could. (see Delray, south-west Detroit, Melvindale, parts of Dearborn..) Wouldn't you if you choked on pollution while sitting in your yard having a barbeque?

I tend to laugh when people say, in times of high-gas prices, that the people employed there (Zug Island, water treatment plant on Jefferson north of R.R, Marathon off of Schaeffer..ect.) should be close to work, more notably in a five-mile radius. Yeah, right.

BTW - Wyandotte had its' fair share of problems at one time.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,496 times
I believe it is because of all of the industry that is down there, or was down there. The last time I drove through River Rouge was last August. And the overall image of the city looked ugly. Many of the houses look like they have not been keep up with. Many of the yard looked OUT OF CONTROL, the trees, bushes, and lawns looked like they had not gotten a lot of attention. I understand that this area is not the wealthiest area of Metro Detroit but people should at least keep up with their yard work, and not have 3 foot weeds growing in the front of their houses, it puts a bad image on for the entire city.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Those 3-foot tall weeds may be in yards where the house has been abandoned. There was an article in the News a while back about this becoming a problem for neighborhoods and/or government.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,134 times
There are many hardworking, good people in River Rouge. Many stay because their houses are paid off. Some don't have the financial means to leave and yet others such as myself are looking to move.City government has made positive steps in some areas. Areas such as rental properties they have taken a step backwards. I have no idea how some of the rental dumps pass inspection.There are 3 bedroom houses that have as many as 12+ occupants in addition to the roof caving in. I've been here my entire life but it seems like the last 3 years have really sucked. I'd like to think of it as a reflection of the economy but I think it's deeper than that. Whoever reads this please don't put a blanket over all the people in River Rouge and Ecorse and think we're all scum. Riff Raff exists everywhere. Take a good look at Wyandotte and you'll see what I mean.Don't get me wrong I love Wyandotte but it's starting to get it's share of problems as well as the rest of downriver. The only two places downriver that still seem to have a good grasp on things is Trenton and Grosse Ile.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,536 times
Are there different parts of Rouge and Ecorse that are better or worse? How bad is the crime down there?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 203,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rougerat View Post
There are many hardworking, good people in River Rouge. Many stay because their houses are paid off. Some don't have the financial means to leave and yet others such as myself are looking to move.City government has made positive steps in some areas. Areas such as rental properties they have taken a step backwards. I have no idea how some of the rental dumps pass inspection.There are 3 bedroom houses that have as many as 12+ occupants in addition to the roof caving in. I've been here my entire life but it seems like the last 3 years have really sucked. I'd like to think of it as a reflection of the economy but I think it's deeper than that. Whoever reads this please don't put a blanket over all the people in River Rouge and Ecorse and think we're all scum. Riff Raff exists everywhere. Take a good look at Wyandotte and you'll see what I mean.Don't get me wrong I love Wyandotte but it's starting to get it's share of problems as well as the rest of downriver. The only two places downriver that still seem to have a good grasp on things is Trenton and Grosse Ile.

I totally agree with your assessment of Ecorse and River Rouge.

There are many people who live in these cities with their homes paid off and could not get enough money for their homes if they wanted to sell. Therefore, they are pretty much stuck unless they want to just walk away from their homes---which is not as easy as it sounds.

I know of the pretty homes on West Jefferson that you speak of. Very nice and well kept.

I will say one thing about River Rouge. Last Christmas, I was complaining about the fact that Lincoln Park had virtually no Christmas decorations in their downtown area. I had written to council about this and they said they would look into it more for this coming year. HOWEVER, River Rouge, as blighted as some may think, had BEAUTIFUL Christmas decorations throughout their ENTIRE business district. If LP's decorations could look HALF that nice, we will have accomplished something.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 7,217 times
One question that strikes me after reading these comments and responses is that what major sector of economy drives the ecorse, lincoln park, River rouge region ? Are the Marathon, Powerplant in rouge are the only major source of income to these cities? Or put it this way how many people are employed by these industry who reside in these areas? Just some questions as a concerned citizen. So far the comments are informative.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,520 times
Wyandotte and trenton are almost as crapy. Drive all the way down jefferson and across from grosse ile just before sibley road is a whole row of crapy dirty houses needing attention and neighborhoods in wyandotte off of northline and jefferson by the tracks need all tore down and is full of gangs and crime. The people there think they are higher class but are poor too and loosing everything. River rouge is a cheap place to live where you can buy a house or two for cash and fix them up how you want and be close to everything without the crazy bills. Rent one out to pay taxes for both. Its safe (as long as your not hanging with the wrong crowd) and it beats paying more for the same crap in trenton where the people are snobby, taxes are higher and the crapy houses cost more. Nobody is stuck here in river rouge. Everyone here is happy unless they are paying on a mortgage on a house thats not worth anything buts thats everywhere right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit