U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 PM

6,997 posts, read 9,919,081 times

Advertisements

Just watched Lisa Ling's documentary on CNN. Malachy Martin was right about satanic covens proliferating in America. I didn't realize how many people were embracing this. In some ways, this is the kind of demographic Detroit and other recovering cities are trying to attract - young, educated, creative and articulate. But would Detroiters be OK if they bring this kind of religion into the city, out of the shadows and in prominent sight?

CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TihEltZrhH0

That’s Life With the Devil

Old 10-30-2016, 01:55 PM

15,915 posts, read 18,729,188 times
One minute it's mustache wax and artisanal bacon, the next minute it's Satanic rituals. What will those loveable scamps come up with next?!

Honestly, that guy sounded boring, droning on, spouting the rhetoric of the founding fathers instead of some cool heavy metal stuff.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,747,783 times
It's just a ploy to stir the pot - alternative types hungry for attention and then fear mongering by media to try and incite a religious base they know wouldn't approve.

Elementary my dear Watson. This isn't news. Nor is it a trend.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:17 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Satanism is more of a secular jab at all religion than any actual belief or worship of Satan. In fact i'd go as far as saying the vast majority (probably 90%+) don't believe in Satan or any sort of actual deity to worship. Organized Satanism is more of a philosophy club for Atheists who want that community experience without the religious dogma and creed in most faiths. It's not much different from other secular based groups like Unitarian Universalists or the Sunday Assembly, except where those two have some tact and try to present themselves as a positive alternative, the Satanist movement is more of a childish "We don't care if you hate us, because anarchy is cool" type of attitude.

As for what this has to do with hipsters, I have no idea. Nor is this some sort of developing group in Detroit attractive all the young people. Hipsters are no more into Satanism than they are into any other obscure and meaningless religious or pseudo-religious groups. As a person some may classify as a "graduated hipster" (former hipster, got old, had kids, still like overpriced coffee and thrift stores) I can assure you that my interest in Satanism was, and remains, zero. If I had to select a religious/community group to associate with, I'd much rather be associated with the UUs or another group with a more positive image.

This is simply a modern "Flying Spaghetti Monster" - That is to say, if you're going to cram your deity down my throat under the guise of "religious freedom", I'm going to invent a deity and force you to give it the same elevated treatment that you give to the made up one you like.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:10 AM

15,915 posts, read 18,729,188 times
In line with what Geo-Aggie wrote, the Satanic symbolism of 'The Satanic Temple' is satirical. They are a completely non-religious, non-believing organization.

They are not even remotely evil. Their mission statement and tenets sound like the Boy Scout Law. In fact, it sounds for the most part grounded in the moral ethic of Christian religion:

The Satanic Temple describes its mission as follows:[16]

"The mission of The Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense and justice, and be directed by the human conscience to undertake noble pursuits guided by the individual will. Civic-minded, The Satanic Temple has been involved in a number of good works including taking a stand against the controversial and extremist Westboro Baptist Church, working on behalf of children in public school who have been subject to corporal punishment and more."

-------

The Satanic Temple follows seven tenets, quoted below from their website:[17]

"One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason."

"The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions."

"One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone."

"The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own."

"Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs."

"People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused."

"Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word."

Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
As for what this has to do with hipsters, I have no idea. Nor is this some sort of developing group in Detroit attractive all the young people. Hipsters are no more into Satanism than they are into any other obscure and meaningless religious or pseudo-religious groups. As a person some may classify as a "graduated hipster" (former hipster, got old, had kids, still like overpriced coffee and thrift stores) I can assure you that my interest in Satanism was, and remains, zero.
Watch the whole documentary.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:27 PM

439 posts, read 274,651 times
Meh, they're a bunch of gentrifying closet-racists attempting to annoy the locals. Ironically, most of the God-fearing residents of Detroit are pro-Second Amendment (and not goin' anywhere)... I give it another year before these interlopers close their little clubhouse and head up to Ann Arbor...'Sides copper piping ain't cheap, and the city's a cold place...

‘Tea Party Satanist’ says new Detroit temple is too liberal and full of atheists

Old 11-04-2016, 08:46 PM

13,361 posts, read 18,672,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Just watched Lisa Ling's documentary on CNN. Malachy Martin was right about satanic covens proliferating in America. I didn't realize how many people were embracing this. In some ways, this is the kind of demographic Detroit and other recovering cities are trying to attract - young, educated, creative and articulate. But would Detroiters be OK if they bring this kind of religion into the city, out of the shadows and in prominent sight?

CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TihEltZrhH0

That’s Life With the Devil
The next hipster trend will probably be "spirit cooking," which seems to dovetail quite nicely with Satanism.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In line with what Geo-Aggie wrote, the Satanic symbolism of 'The Satanic Temple' is satirical. They are a completely non-religious, non-believing organization.

They are not even remotely evil. "Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word."[/i]
There is no such thing as s noble and compassionate devil.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:41 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
More people desperate for attention. They got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit