U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 12:57 PM

279 posts, read 470,080 times

Advertisements

I am still learning about the entire Commerce Township area.

How bad is the commute to downtown?

What kind of folks live out there?

What is the diversity, demographics etc. or lack of?

Is the area nice? Is it growing or shrinking in popularity?

Huron Schools vs Walled Lake? Is there a big difference? If so what is it?

Restaurants, Shopping, night life etc?

Family Friendly?

Green Spaces?

I want any and all opinions be them good or bad.

Lastly, how do y'all feel it compares to Grosse Ile? Grosse Ile and Commerce Township are top on our list right now. The commute would be to downtown detroit.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by HPY1; 11-01-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:24 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,815,818 times
How bad is the commute to downtown?

I've never done it, but given the areas you have to go through I would imagine it is pretty bad during peak rush hour.

What kind of folks live out there?

Exurban families.

What is the diversity, demographics etc. or lack of?

Enter the zip codes into City Data and find out for yourself.

Is the area nice? Is it growing or shrinking in popularity?

It's not as popular as the Novis, Northvilles and even South Lyons due to its more remote geography. But it's an upper middle class exurban city.

Huron Schools vs Walled Lake? Is there a big difference? If so what is it?

No clue. Walled Lake schools are well regarded. Check some school rating sites such as SchoolDigger for baseline info. No, these rankings aren't the end all be all, but the are useful in showing the differences between the schools and how they compare. Like it or not, those rankings heavily influence real estate values.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,742,861 times
I take the Lodge freeway from downtown to Southfield every morning and I can assure you that if you wanted to commute from Commerce to downtown every day - just be ready for an hour to 1.5 hr commutes each way. The Lodge is backed up heading downtown almost every S-I-N-G-L-E day and winter will just be worse. Grosse Isle is a somewhat better commute (i.e. more reverse than coming from the NW burbs).

I would have chosen Grosse Pointe for a much better quality of life, but if you enjoy sitting in traffic more power to you.

Good luck on the move!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Coming in from Grosse Ile, I rarely sit in traffic. Only when there are accidents or a pothole (crater) suddenly appears in the road. There are weeks (like last week) when there seems ot be ab accident every day. However that is highly unusual. Typically if there is a hold up, Waze lets me know and I switch to Fort Street.

Of course in snow it takes longer, but that is not sitting in traffic, it is just driving slower. Sometimes I have to stop 2 -3 times on the way home to pull people out who are stuck. That can add an hour to the trip.

If you go home at 5 - 5:30, you will sit in traffic when you go over the rouge river bridge. For some reason there is always a back up there. I usually go home later or earlier, so I do not have to deal with it often. It adds 5 - 10 minutes of time.

Unless you take the toll bridge, or take West Road through Trenton to get to the free bridge, you have about a 40% chance of getting stopped by a train. I usually turn around and go back to West if there is a train, so I do nto know how long they block the road, but it si more than 10 minutes most times. Early on before we learned alternate routes, we were once blocked by a train for 1.5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or