U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Status: "Practice random acts of kindness and goodwill." (set 5 days ago)

19,594 posts, read 24,543,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, it was not about burning down houses, it was just fun. We would sneak up to a a house, draw a smiley face on the window with soap, ring the doorbell and run away.

One guy had recently moved from Virginia or West Virginia He did not know about devils night and he got mad. He chased us down grabbed me and pinned me down on the front lawn of our house and started hitting me and telling me Halloween was the next day and we had no business pranking him unless he did not have candy to give out. My mom came out, locked both hands together and clubbed that guy off of me so hard he went flying out into the street.

Mom was pretty small and not really tough or mean, but she knocked that big guy flying through the air. I think that was the first time I saw the miracle of adrenalne (like when people lift a car off of someone).

Mom ended up explaining devils night to him. He had not heard of it before. They were friendly (not firends, but friendly) after that. I always avoided him. However my big brother put a bag of dog poop on his porch and set it on fire the next year. I guess the guy had never heard of that trick either because he ran out and stomped it out. Ha hah.

I was also a kid in the 1960s and 1970s. The night before Halloween was a night for mischief - not burning down houses. Mostly younger teenage boys were involved.

It was called, quite appropriately, Mischief Night or alternately, Hell Night.

Worst thing that ever happened was smashed pumpkins, egging, and "TP"ing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,059,021 times
Wow I wasn't even aware Devils Night was at one time more than what I thought was urban legend.

Interesting.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 AM

2,035 posts, read 2,099,872 times
Devil's night may be on its return but the Fourth of July fires have been increasing in recent years: article.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:10 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Devil's night may be on its return but the Fourth of July fires have been increasing in recent years: article.
Yea... I think America as a whole sees an increase in fires during that time period for obvious reasons.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:35 PM

5,111 posts, read 6,698,692 times
Wasn't the worst period for Devil's Night shenanigans in the early 80s? I'd imagine there was lots of insurance fraud and I've read that some vigilante types used Devil's Night as a cover to burn down vacant homes used as crack dens.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Wasn't the worst period for Devil's Night shenanigans in the early 80s? I'd imagine there was lots of insurance fraud and I've read that some vigilante types used Devil's Night as a cover to burn down vacant homes used as crack dens.
I think it was more people paid by property owners who wanted to cash in on their insurance policy.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:01 PM

2,035 posts, read 2,099,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Yea... I think America as a whole sees an increase in fires during that time period for obvious reasons.
Some fires appear to have been caused by accidents with fireworks and the dry weather but this article says Devil's Night has migrated to the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or