U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 11:18 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times

Advertisements

I hardly hear anyone I know talking about it. I don't even think I seen one fire the whole weekend. Then I came across this Detroit mayor: Days of over 800 Devil's Night fires 'long behind us' | MLive.com
"The days of over 800 fires over the Halloween weekend are long behind us," Mayor Mike Duggan said. " ... It was a typical night in the city. It wasn't any higher that what you normally would have."
Basically it was as normal as any other time in Detroit. I kid you not... alot of kids/ younger teens don't even know what Devil's Night is. That was the nail in the coffin imo... I think Devil's Night is dead. What's your thoughts? any of you witness an abnormal amount of fires during the weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
I completely forgot about Devil's night and had no idea itt even happened this year.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I completely forgot about Devil's night and had no idea itt even happened this year.
That's my point. It basically didn't. Kids don't even know what the hell it is anymore lol. I sure as hell did when I was a kid in the 90's/00's (although not as much as the kids who grew up in the 70's/80's).

Old 11-03-2016, 10:28 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,294,494 times
A real shame, Detroit needs more blight!

Old 11-04-2016, 04:47 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,347,071 times
For some reason I gave that some passing thought on Halloween morning.
It does seem to have passed in to history. Lets hope it stays there.

I'm guessing its a bit harder to find houses to burn than it used to.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:42 AM

2,952 posts, read 4,345,492 times
Yes, it's an artifact of the past.

For reasons no one understands, the country on average has become more civilized over the last few decades. People attribute this to everything from abortions to... well, off the top of my head, I can't think of another theory, but I'm sure they're out there. Probably the decline of crack-cocaine would be one. Lead pipes...

The theory to the degree it exists has been contradicted by massive upticks in crime in inner cities over the last year or two which, again, no one has a good explanation for.

Weird.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:52 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, it was not about burning down houses, it was just fun. We would sneak up to a a house, draw a smiley face on the window with soap, ring the doorbell and run away.

One guy had recently moved from Virginia or West Virginia He did not know about devils night and he got mad. He chased us down grabbed me and pinned me down on the front lawn of our house and started hitting me and telling me Halloween was the next day and we had no business pranking him unless he did not have candy to give out. My mom came out, locked both hands together and clubbed that guy off of me so hard he went flying out into the street.

Mom was pretty small and not really tough or mean, but she knocked that big guy flying through the air. I think that was the first time I saw the miracle of adrenalne (like when people lift a car off of someone).

Mom ended up explaining devils night to him. He had not heard of it before. They were friendly (not firends, but friendly) after that. I always avoided him. However my big brother put a bag of dog poop on his porch and set it on fire the next year. I guess the guy had never heard of that trick either because he ran out and stomped it out. Ha hah.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 PM

292 posts, read 204,140 times
You guys are very naive if you think the houses were being burned down for mischief. A lot of people made lot of money and amassed lot of empty land especially all over the eastside

Old 11-04-2016, 10:25 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Yes, it's an artifact of the past.

For reasons no one understands, the country on average has become more civilized over the last few decades. People attribute this to everything from abortions to... well, off the top of my head, I can't think of another theory, but I'm sure they're out there. Probably the decline of crack-cocaine would be one. Lead pipes...

The theory to the degree it exists has been contradicted by massive upticks in crime in inner cities over the last year or two which, again, no one has a good explanation for.

Weird.
Lead paint and leaded fuel. Quite frankly, as I've discussed in various Flint threads, lead in the water really isn't a major risk (and it never was in Flint either, but the media saw an agenda and we all know how that turns out...), but lead in paint was a major issue and in some poorer areas remains to be. Also leaded fuels/emissions created poisoning issues that are essentially non-existent at this point as nobody uses leaded fuels anymore.

Personally I think the availability of birth control leading to smaller and better planned families probably had as much or more do with it than the environmental factors, but both have been major steps forward for society.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:16 PM

2,952 posts, read 4,345,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Lead paint and leaded fuel. Quite frankly, as I've discussed in various Flint threads, lead in the water really isn't a major risk (and it never was in Flint either, but the media saw an agenda and we all know how that turns out...), but lead in paint was a major issue and in some poorer areas remains to be. Also leaded fuels/emissions created poisoning issues that are essentially non-existent at this point as nobody uses leaded fuels anymore.

Personally I think the availability of birth control leading to smaller and better planned families probably had as much or more do with it than the environmental factors, but both have been major steps forward for society.
I agree that birth control is likely the most feasible answer, although, as noted, the recent massive uptick across inner cities the last two years is both troubling and perplexing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or