Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
My only reservation is the location. It has proximity to the recreation center and proximity to Oak Park, a town which I don't know a ton about - other than coworkers have suggested not moving there. The neighborhoods nearby appear to have decent incomes and low unemployment according to City-Data data, but could anyone advise whether or not northern Oak Park is sketchy? From a data standpoint is looks decent enough.
Oak Park was at one time part of the extended Jewish suburban community in the Detroit area. Over the past several decades, middle class black families have been moving into Oak Park. These days, there's still a good sized Haredi Jewish community living there, and Oak Park is split about evenly between white and black residents.

Northern Oak Park (the part north of 10 Mile Road) is part of the Berkley school system. If you buy a house in Berkley and send your kids to Berkley schools, a good number of their classmates would be from Northern Oak Park.

Quote:
More concerning would be the rec center. On one hand it would be nice, but on the other... how much noise does it make? Will baseball games be keeping my kids up 'til 11 pm on weeknights or do they wrap up pretty early? Any input would be much appreciated.
From what I've observed from the baseball field a few blocks from me, games in Berkley tend to end before 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,879 times
Agree with djmilf above. Anecdotally I have not heard of any crime issues with Oak Park, and my step daughters have friends both in northern Oak Park, and a few houses east of Cooldige across from Oak Park.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,440 times
Berkley definitely seems like its on the upswing with the influx of younger couples and school-aged children plus small-business entrepreneurs who are starting new stores/restaurants/businesses along the 12 Mile corridor.

I think you can get more for your money and more of a smaller town vibe in Berkley versus Royal Oak.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:59 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times
Well, if all goes well with this house we're intending to buy it looks like Berkley will be gaining one more younger couple with soon-to-be-school-aged children. I don't know that I'm much of a small-business entrepreneur (kind of just a dorky scientist), but hey, things can change.

Thanks again everyone, for all the input on here. It was good to get some insider perspectives that are tough to gather from simply walking around town or looking at data points.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times
Well, it's official. Mr. and Mrs. Geo-Aggie are now homeowners of a modestly updated 1940s bungalow in Berkley. When I shared this news on Facebook, friends were confused as to when we moved to the Bay Area and I had to explain that Berkley is not Berkeley.

We'll be moving there this weekend, along with our young child and a second baby that should be here before February is out. I like to think the small town scored itself some good residents. I'm excited to live in what appears to me to be a tight family-oriented community, with good schools, stable property values, an entire community within walking distance, and all major job hubs (Detroit, Warren, Southfield, Troy) within a 15 minute drive. Hopefully my expectations aren't misplaced, because quite frankly, home ownership is terrifying. Wish me luck!

And thanks for all your collective input over the last 18 months in helping guide my family and I to the right community for us.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM

159 posts, read 170,709 times
Congratulations on your new home!! Home ownership is challenging and exciting!! Keep us updated.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Congratulations, Geo!

Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,882,970 times
Congrats on your new home and the upcoming baby. I know you must be excited (and very busy). Hopefully you guys get settled in before the baby comes.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Congratulations!

Now you can shift over to the "house" and "parenting" forums.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,178 times
Congratulations! Sounds like a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit