U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 06:16 PM

32 posts, read 26,214 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone has any experience with the home assessment program through Consumers Energy?
This is for gas only.

I understand they have a list of companies that come and assess your home and suggest improvements .
I was wondering if it would be useful .
This thought came about when I was looking at my utility consumption vs others in the area ( from their website ) . Mine appeared higher than average and I didn't think we used that much more.

It is just two people and I normally keep the thermostat at 65 - so trying to figure out why that could be. We just moved into this house a few months ago so I don't have any previous history to compare it to.

I appreciate any feedback - thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 03:25 PM

107 posts, read 92,369 times
I got a free one either through Consumers or DTE - can't recall which. It was very superficial. The guy just asked me a few questions and then went around installing low flow aerators and shower heads, gave me a few free CFL bulbs and left. It was worth the price.

I insulated my attic with an additional 6" of fiberglass, sealed all the outlets and ceiling fixtures and tightened up all the windows and doors. These changes made a nice difference in comfort and heating bills.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,157,119 times
I had one done and it was very informative. He suggested several things and even gave estimate pricing, and offered to set up appointments with any of the contractors from their list, if I was ready to have any of the "corrections" started. He also left several light bulbs, low flow shower heads and sink faucets. I did take advantage of their rebate program with some of the insulation that was suggested, and it has made a difference in our energy bill. I didn't use their contractors, but sought estimates from others and asked the ones that I had give me estimates if they would provide me with the correct documentation or fill out the forms for the rebates, and they were all cooperative. There are only 2 of us, but I keep it at 70 during the day/evening and 64 at night.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times
I had a very different experience, though mine was with DTE.

A person came by, gave me a couple night lights, verified that I was using CFL and LED bulbs, and said my windows needed to be replaced (and they do, they're super old, but I'm renting this house, so this isn't really up to me). About a month later I got a letter stating that they saved me $9 annually or something like that. That was literally it. And based on my limited knowledge of energy efficiency there are a lot more inexpensive things that can be done for this house, and some of it I've done without their advice (plastic wrapping my windows, insullating the chimney, setting the thermostat for warm days/cool evenings), etc. I was kind of hoping to get some professional input on the "etc." part - I didn't.

I guess as one poster said, it was "worth the price" (free) but it wasn't worth my time or the employee's time. I can pick up some nightlights next time I'm at Meijer for $4 and it would take up significantly less of my time and I would've learned just as much about my house.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:03 PM

32 posts, read 26,214 times
Thanks very much for all your feedback ..much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or