U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 PM
 
2,463 posts, read 1,759,759 times
Reputation: 3260

Advertisements

I stopped by the peaceful protest in Hamtramck tonight. There are lot of mini protest all over town in Detroit. But we value our city too much to ruin it. We watched Detroit grow out of ash. It is still growing. The empty city with nothing is still vivid in our mind. Trump isn't worth ruining our city. All the protester here want is to let the newly elected president and our government know that we want respect for all people of all race, religion, color..etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,852 posts, read 1,787,821 times
Reputation: 4526
The riots are happening in the cities with either a high concentration of recent Hispanic immigrants (both legal and illegal) or young white radicals.

Neither group has a large presence in Detroit.

Also, this is a wrong area to start dragging people out of their cars. The perpetrators could easily get shot in the process.

Finally, this is not exactly a progressive heaven. Even the Democratic city government in Detroit wouldn't be too patient with violent protesters of that kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2016, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Given that Dan Gilbert held a mega-fundraiser for Trump in the city, I don't think too many of his employees would be caught dead protesting against his candidate of choice. The Quicken Thought Police are likely combing through the security cam footage searching for thought criminals.
This is a doubleplusgood assessment of the situation. It gives me bellyfeel. I say this because I don't wish to become unperson. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

That being said we had a little gathering in Downtown Royal Oak, but everyone was pretty chill. I went and watched just for curious (and I needed to walk to the grocery store, for cheese..) and it was just a semi-diverse group - mostly college kids and professionals - just holding signs and standing around chatting. They weren't even chanting when I saw them. Just expressing their displeasure with the election outcome, and that's fine. Trump was a polarizing candidate, but quite frankly, as much as I disliked him I was not any more enthused by another Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Reputation: 32915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
This is a doubleplusgood assessment of the situation. It gives me bellyfeel. I say this because I don't wish to become unperson. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

That being said we had a little gathering in Downtown Royal Oak, but everyone was pretty chill. I went and watched just for curious (and I needed to walk to the grocery store, for cheese..) and it was just a semi-diverse group - mostly college kids and professionals - just holding signs and standing around chatting. They weren't even chanting when I saw them. Just expressing their displeasure with the election outcome, and that's fine. Trump was a polarizing candidate, but quite frankly, as much as I disliked him I was not any more enthused by another Clinton.
I have never understood the chanting thing. I once had an office across from a federal building in California, so there were protests outside nearly every day. Now I look out on Campus Martius. I have seen hundreds of protests. I have never been able to understand what they are saying when they start chanting. Beyond the fact it sounds like it rhymes, I cannot make out a thing, not even what issue or side they are protesting for or against. Sometimes the signs help if they put the same slogan on the sign as they are chanting. However the signs are not always legible. In fact, sometimes the signs seem to conflict with each other.

Of course where I was in California, many of the protesters were either paid, or they needed something from a politician and were required to log a certain amount of time protesting to get their kid Special ed services, or gate, or whatever they needed. Many of them did not even know what the protest was supposed to be about, they just showed up to log their hours. When you talked to them, they woudl say I am just here to log my hours because i need ____. They were eventually able to recall some of the local politicians who were selling services in this manner. Not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,852 posts, read 1,787,821 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have never understood the chanting thing. I once had an office across from a federal building in California, so there were protests outside nearly every day. Now I look out on Campus Martius. I have seen hundreds of protests. I have never been able to understand what they are saying when they start chanting. Beyond the fact it sounds like it rhymes, I cannot make out a thing, not even what issue or side they are protesting for or against. Sometimes the signs help if they put the same slogan on the sign as they are chanting. However the signs are not always legible. In fact, sometimes the signs seem to conflict with each other.

Of course where I was in California, many of the protesters were either paid, or they needed something from a politician and were required to log a certain amount of time protesting to get their kid Special ed services, or gate, or whatever they needed. Many of them did not even know what the protest was supposed to be about, they just showed up to log their hours. When you talked to them, they woudl say I am just here to log my hours because i need ____. They were eventually able to recall some of the local politicians who were selling services in this manner. Not all of them.
They should make paid protests illegal. It's a mockery of democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2016, 08:26 AM
 
4,149 posts, read 3,822,546 times
Reputation: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
They should make paid protests illegal. It's a mockery of democracy.
There have been several reports that protesters have been bussed into some of the cities where the rioting has occurred. Good for Detroit for keeping its act together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Reputation: 32915
Ann Arbor had a sizable protest, but I don't think they destroyed anything. Demolition is a lot of physical work. Remember these protesters are mostly millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Reputation: 32915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Where are there "riots" in the U.S. right now?
I do not think anyone said there are riots "right now" as in Monday November 21, 2016. However there were riots in Portland, Los Angeles, and arguably in Chicago over the election in the past two weeks or so. Maybe other places. I have not been paying close attention to the locations.

Yes, there are paid paid protesters at some protests from time to time. I do not know whether any of the current protests or riots involve paid protesters/rioters, but I do not such things occur. There were reports of protesters being bussed in from other cities, but I do not know whether there are any reports of people being paid for the current protests.

Most protests are "paid" in that someone puts up the money for advertising, Pr/media control, permits, signs, sometimes providing water so no one passes out or dies, etc. Most protests do not just magically happen, they are planned and planning takes money.

My daughter was in a "peace march" in Ohio She said it was basically boring and pretty obviously a photo op/media oriented thing. They had about 400 people (which is a lot), but they asked them to do things to make it look like a lot more when they were filming. No indication of hired protesters there. No violence. they just walked around and chanted for a while and went home (someone forgot to make any signs).


They are planning a woman's march on Washington DC at Inauguration time (January 20). They hope to get million or more women (apparently men are not welcome). I wonder whether that will turn violent? I would expect such a march to be peaceful, but you never know, people are really worked up over this election because it was such a surprise.

It might not happen at all. Poor choice of date. It may be extremely cold. People could get hurt or even die being out in that kind of cold. they are expecting protesters from all over the country and many people from warmer areas have no idea what it takes to reaming safe during extended hours outside in super cold weather. I think I will try to buy some cheap gloves and hats and send them along with friends who are gong to hand out. Would it be wrong of me to send "Make America Great Again" hats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,852 posts, read 1,787,821 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not think anyone said there are riots "right now" as in Monday November 21, 2016. However there were riots in Portland, Los Angeles, and arguably in Chicago over the election in the past two weeks or so. Maybe other places. I have not been paying close attention to the locations.

Yes, there are paid paid protesters at some protests from time to time. I do not know whether any of the current protests or riots involve paid protesters/rioters, but I do not such things occur. There were reports of protesters being bussed in from other cities, but I do not know whether there are any reports of people being paid for the current protests.

Most protests are "paid" in that someone puts up the money for advertising, Pr/media control, permits, signs, sometimes providing water so no one passes out or dies, etc. Most protests do not just magically happen, they are planned and planning takes money.

My daughter was in a "peace march" in Ohio She said it was basically boring and pretty obviously a photo op/media oriented thing. They had about 400 people (which is a lot), but they asked them to do things to make it look like a lot more when they were filming. No indication of hired protesters there. No violence. they just walked around and chanted for a while and went home (someone forgot to make any signs).


They are planning a woman's march on Washington DC at Inauguration time (January 20). They hope to get million or more women (apparently men are not welcome). I wonder whether that will turn violent? I would expect such a march to be peaceful, but you never know, people are really worked up over this election because it was such a surprise.

It might not happen at all. Poor choice of date. It may be extremely cold. People could get hurt or even die being out in that kind of cold. they are expecting protesters from all over the country and many people from warmer areas have no idea what it takes to reaming safe during extended hours outside in super cold weather. I think I will try to buy some cheap gloves and hats and send them along with friends who are gong to hand out. Would it be wrong of me to send "Make America Great Again" hats?
There are people who'd greatly benefit politically if a peaceful march turned violent or even deadly, this would play right into the media narrative of Trump and his supporters as a bigoted, violent bunch. Nothing better to draw sympathy to your cause than a few innocent martyrs.

I expect violent provocations on Inauguration Day. If anyone I knew was going to participate in that march, I'd try and persuade them to stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Reputation: 32915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
There are people who'd greatly benefit politically if a peaceful march turned violent or even deadly, this would play right into the media narrative of Trump and his supporters as a bigoted, violent bunch. Nothing better to draw sympathy to your cause than a few innocent martyrs.

I expect violent provocations on Inauguration Day. If anyone I knew was going to participate in that march, I'd try and persuade them to stay home.
I think I know close to 100 people who are planning to go. It will be hard to dissuade them, they are really worked up into a frenzy. If you ask them what they think it will accomplish, they look/talk at you like they want you dead. You make a good point about the risk though. I may be able to convince my daughter at least. She is concerned that it will be expensive and not accomplish anything anyway, so at least with her, it may not be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top