U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,459,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
Anyone know what year Lapeer-Metamora peaked? What was peak Lapeer like? I know it had two high schools up until a few years ago, so it must have been bleeding population for a while now.
It hasn't had a population decline, more a demographic shift combined with school of choice. They were never known for stellar academics. Davison has always had a better school system, and I'm guessing they've gotten some Lapeer students through school of choice, even though Davison strictly limits the number of students they accept.
Peak population was in 2000, at 9,072. 2010 has them at 8,841. Besides that, the only population loss happened between 1880 and 1890, and between 1970 and 1980. The loss during the 70s was roughly 120 people, so very minor.
Lapeer has always been a rural, small town. Some people commuted to Flint to work at GM.
Lapeer actually has a ton of factory jobs, especially in comparison to Flint. Many of them are down Demille/McCormack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
There are a whole swath of towns in Mid-Michigan that seem similar to Lapeer in terms of having good bones, some small downtowns and nice houses and were in their hey-day in the 1950s-1960s but now of the same struggles of Main Street USA.

Lapeer, Davidson, Imlay City, Goodrich, Linden, Owosso, Durand, Corruna, Perry all fit this mold. The towns all have their economic struggles, face brain-drain of educated people, and/or rely upon being a bedroom community for better paying jobs in adjacent bigger cities.
You do realize that most of these cities/towns are actually growing, and the others have lost very little population? They also aren't really comparable to each other.
Goodrich, Imlay City, and Perry have always been super small rural towns. Not even considered a suburb.
Lapeer and Owosso, as the county seat of rural counties, are your typical rural 'city'.
Corunna is the odd-guy out on this list. It is more of a continuation of Owosso. It can be hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. It is typically more desirable than Owosso.
Davison (only one D) and Linden have always been your typical suburb of a semi-large city, and neither have really suffered from the downfall of Flint. Linden has been growing drastically over the last 20 years. Davison's population has maintained, with slight growth. Perhaps not within the city limits, but definitely when you include Davison Township and Richfield Township, both which have Davison mailing addresses and a 48423 zip code, and all make up one school school district. New businesses are always opening up, and more are being built as we speak. For whatever reason, Davison never quite gets the recognition it deserves. People always look at Grand Blanc and even Fenton and state how well they do. Davison has less sprawl, but it has always been comparable income-wise. It is less convenient to Metro Detroit, so maybe that is why...

Old 11-19-2016, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 44,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
You do realize that most of these cities/towns are actually growing, and the others have lost very little population? They also aren't really comparable to each other.
Goodrich, Imlay City, and Perry have always been super small rural towns. Not even considered a suburb.
Lapeer and Owosso, as the county seat of rural counties, are your typical rural 'city'.
Corunna is the odd-guy out on this list. It is more of a continuation of Owosso. It can be hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. It is typically more desirable than Owosso.
Davison (only one D) and Linden have always been your typical suburb of a semi-large city, and neither have really suffered from the downfall of Flint. Linden has been growing drastically over the last 20 years. Davison's population has maintained, with slight growth. Perhaps not within the city limits, but definitely when you include Davison Township and Richfield Township, both which have Davison mailing addresses and a 48423 zip code, and all make up one school school district. New businesses are always opening up, and more are being built as we speak. For whatever reason, Davison never quite gets the recognition it deserves. People always look at Grand Blanc and even Fenton and state how well they do. Davison has less sprawl, but it has always been comparable income-wise. It is less convenient to Metro Detroit, so maybe that is why...
Grand Blanc has health care industry and I-75 access to Oakland County job center.

Fenton-Linden have easy access to Flint, Grand Blanc health care, and US-23/I-75 towards Milford (GM), Brighton, Ann Arbor, Oakland County job centers.

I don't think the next 10 years are promising for Davison. Only a matter of time until it becomes Burton 2.0. Too many apartments and trailer parks, and M-15 to I-75 to hit Oakland County jobs is too inconvenient.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
Grand Blanc has health care industry and I-75 access to Oakland County job center.

Fenton-Linden have easy access to Flint, Grand Blanc health care, and US-23/I-75 towards Milford (GM), Brighton, Ann Arbor, Oakland County job centers.

I don't think the next 10 years are promising for Davison. Only a matter of time until it becomes Burton 2.0. Too many apartments and trailer parks, and M-15 to I-75 to hit Oakland County jobs is too inconvenient.
I really think you are wrong. If anything, I find Davison becoming more desirable because of the school district. Grand Blanc has not been doing itself many favors by taking on so many school of choice students. Davison strictly limits the number, which has kept the community feel in the school system. Grand Blanc has lost that. (And I worked in both school districts between 2013 and 2014.)
There aren't any more apartments or trailer parks then there has always been, so I'm not sure how that factors into things. It has been at least 20 years since a new apartment complex or trailer park opened up. Other than the really expensive one on Irish Rd. Windsor Place added on 15 or so years ago. Chatwell Club has added some buildings within the last 5 years, but they are ran pretty well. And actually, the trailer parks are shrinking. Drive through one and you will find some are nearly half vacant.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:00 PM

142 posts, read 117,453 times
Your impression of Lapeer is very different from mine. It never struck me as "run-down" or "trailer-trash". More like a middle-class country town. People who work in the suburbs but want the small-town life.
The Mental hospital was demolished, and so that probably resulted in a loss of certain jobs. But every time I go to Lapeer it seems larger and more modern, with newer stores and expanding sprawl.
I always liked Lapeer because it was the closest bit of country and first actual rural area after leaving the suburbs and it was always a nice, quick drive to soak up the country atmosphere. However, it has very suburban traffic congestion at times and quite a bit of suburban/exurban commercial developments.
I think a lot of people in that area used to work for GM in Flint. Now, many probably work in the commercial or industrial centers in Orion, Oxford or Auburn Hills.
I usually see single-family, owner-occupied housing in Lapeer, which is not exactly cheap. Where is this poverty? There are some mobile home parks in and near the city but thats not the bulk of the town. There are quite a few respectable, middle-class subdivisions just outside of the city limits as well. I think the poverty is more common in the smaller villages farther out in the county, like Columbiaville. Areas much farther from the northern Detroit suburbs.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Your impression of Lapeer is very different from mine. It never struck me as "run-down" or "trailer-trash". More like a middle-class country town. People who work in the suburbs but want the small-town life.
The Mental hospital was demolished, and so that probably resulted in a loss of certain jobs. But every time I go to Lapeer it seems larger and more modern, with newer stores and expanding sprawl.
I always liked Lapeer because it was the closest bit of country and first actual rural area after leaving the suburbs and it was always a nice, quick drive to soak up the country atmosphere. However, it has very suburban traffic congestion at times and quite a bit of suburban/exurban commercial developments.
I think a lot of people in that area used to work for GM in Flint. Now, many probably work in the commercial or industrial centers in Orion, Oxford or Auburn Hills.
I usually see single-family, owner-occupied housing in Lapeer, which is not exactly cheap. Where is this poverty? There are some mobile home parks in and near the city but thats not the bulk of the town. There are quite a few respectable, middle-class subdivisions just outside of the city limits as well. I think the poverty is more common in the smaller villages farther out in the county, like Columbiaville. Areas much farther from the northern Detroit suburbs.
It won't let me rep you or I would.
We always went shopping in Lapeer because it was 'nicer' than Flint, so I also didn't understand the others' opinions.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
I don't know much about Lapeer, beyond having zoomed past it a couple times driving from Port Huron to Flint, but from looking at the superficial aesthetics and numbers perspective, the town doesn't seem that bad.

The downtown looks pretty nice. Not booming, but nicer than most small towns in America. The neighborhoods look nice as well, similar to anything you'd find in exurbs considered upscale. Lapeer County showed no population decline since 2010 (even growing by 0.2% from 2014 to 2015) and with average crime, a median age lower than median for the state, and rising incomes - I don't think Lapeer is a horrible place to live.

Sure, it's not on my short-list of places I am itching to call home (especially since that would be a terrible commute for me), but it isn't some down-and-out product of industrial decline like Benton Harbor or Cairo, IL. If it made sense for me, I'd have no problem calling it home.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 981 times
i have worked in lapeer schools for a while now. however, i live about 30 min. away in genesee county. my take on lapeer is similar in that what i see is a very rural area with a shrinking population (thus the consolidation of the 2 high schools). the school district is top-heavy in numbers (i.e. the high school classes have many more students than the younger grades) - this is a good indicator of the shrinking population in the area. it is very much a lower middle class kind of area that is well past its prime. the people i've worked with there have been great, but most of them are professionals who live in other cities and commute. the students really give off a redneck-vibe with a tinge of trailer park about them. there is just a really strong atmosphere of mediocrity about the students and the community.

i know this sounds harsh, but it is just my honest assessment of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit