U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 08:20 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,609,364 times

Advertisements

Ford, UAW-Ford pledge $6M to Motown Museum expansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 02:57 PM

14,551 posts, read 13,289,855 times
I hate to say it, but I think this overambitious project will end up as a white elephant. The Motown Era was what?...a decade maybe? It's not like Rock-and-Roll which encompasses decades of music. No radio station even plays this music any more. It would be like having a Disco Museum or Punk Rock Museum. The generation that experienced Motown is getting older. This museum won't mean much to younger generations. The existing Motown Museum reflects the Motown phenomenon much better: a small museum in an old house, quaint and nostalgic. Even it probably won't be visited much in a few decades.

Sad waste of money. Could be put to better uses.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I hate to say it, but I think this overambitious project will end up as a white elephant. The Motown Era was what?...a decade maybe? It's not like Rock-and-Roll which encompasses decades of music. No radio station even plays this music any more. It would be like having a Disco Museum or Punk Rock Museum. The generation that experienced Motown is getting older. This museum won't mean much to younger generations. The existing Motown Museum reflects the Motown phenomenon much better: a small museum in an old house, quaint and nostalgic. Even it probably won't be visited much in a few decades.

I agree with you mostly. It's too bad that the Motown Label could not have reinvented itself.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:09 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,606,514 times
They can expand it. Motown influenced many other types of music, so they can sneak in other genres that grew out of or were influenced by Motown. Just because it is call Motown museum, does not prohibit them from addressing other types of music, just like the DIA is not limited to traditional "Art" or a Book store can also sell coffee, electronics, and clothing.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:12 PM

14,551 posts, read 13,289,855 times
That's a good point CJ. "American Music Museum" or something similar would probably draw more people.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
That's a good point CJ. "American Music Museum" or something similar would probably draw more people.
What about a Detroit Music Museum which could showcase all the genres of music and musicians from Detroit.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:44 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,744,354 times
Because the first 100 years would focus on French music, the next 100 years would focus on German, Polish and other polkas, 30 years would focus on Motown, 20 years would focus on rap/hip hop and ten years would focus on EDM.

Would be an interesting museum for sure. Like the Detroit Historical Museum has their Detroit by the decades display.

If you're never been to the Detroit Historical Museum before, it's free, across the DIA, and 4 stories of awesome history/artifacts. Free parking on Ferry St.

Detroit Historical Museum | Detroit Historical Society

Old 12-01-2016, 07:57 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,817,887 times
Quote:

This is like saying New Orleans should forget about jazz because young people don't listen to it anymore. Regardless of your age, Motown was one of the most important and influential musical genres of the 20th century.

They influenced the Beatles, Stones, pretty much every R&B singer and countless other artists.

Music influence aside, Motown artists were among the first black artists playing black music that were accepted by white America. Smokey Robinson talks about playing for segregated audiences in the south in the early Motown revue tours of the 1960s. Berry Gordy and Motown artists did a lot to advance civil rights in this country including releasing a recording of MLK's original "I have a dream" speech in Detroit.

The fact that Motown's legacy in Detroit has been confined to a tiny museum has been shameful. I am thrilled they are finally doing something to recognize its impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or