U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,936,911 times

Advertisements

If you're uncomfortable with Midtown (and honestly, you need to visit before deciding you're uncomfortable with Midtown, I think you'd be quite surprised at how clean and gentrified it is - as a recent transplant myself I certainly was), but if you're uncomfortable with a Detroit address and want to look at the suburbs, I'd suggest Southeast Oakland County:

Specifically- Royal Oak, Ferndale, Berkley, or Clawson.

They're all super safe, nice, highly walkable, and tend to cater a bit more to the middle income, younger crowd than many desirable Detroit suburbs which largely tend to cater to higher income families (Northville, Troy, Bloomfields, Macomb TWP, Grosse Pointes...) or larger/older middle-income families (Livonia, Farmington Hills, Dearborn, Sterling Heights).

You can find an apartment for $1200 in any of the 4 cities I mentioned. You may even be able to score a rental house for $1200 in nearby Madison Heights or Oak Park, but while both are still pretty safe, they are a little lower income and less trendy than their more-gentrified neighbors.

All that being said, before you decide to rent in Royal Oak right away, like I did, check out Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:50 AM

363 posts, read 225,745 times
As far as suburbs are concerned Ferndale is likely best for a young person. I would get a place very close to Woodward Ave right near 9 Mile. There are a ton of bars and entertainment venues there and direct bus service down Woodward Ave to Wayne State if you want to go that route instead of driving.

All communities along Woodward Ave for the most part were built in the 20's so most dont have big sprawling apartment complexes so likely you will have to use craigslist as opposed to other search sites like Zillow or Apartment.com etc-

I dont know where your coming from but while Midtown is safe and vibrant you are still in Detroit and getting gas, going to liquor store and such might still expose you to an environment that is different from other cities. This being said its primarily very safe and a good experience but none the less is still urban. If nothing else do a short term rental in Ferndale or Royal Oak and hang out in midtown after class, if you like midtown better then the choice is simple.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:25 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,747,176 times
The safest neighborhood is likely Metamora Township, but that's a 80 mile commute.

In reality - Midtown, Downtown, Corktown should be where you focus your search.

Ferndale, Royal Oak, Clawson, Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Grosse Pointes, Allen Park, Wyandotte, Dearborn if you want close to Detroit (all 15 minute commutes) safe suburbs.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:55 PM

27,772 posts, read 65,683,557 times
If safest is your top concern, The only top 5 on the list really close to Detroit is Grosse Pointe Woods. Go to top 20 and you can add Berkeley, and Beverly Hills, but you are getting into half an hour plus commute.

Grosse Ile, Plymouth, Grosse Pointe Woods Top List Of 50 Safest Cities In Michigan « CBS Detroit

If you are afraid of Detroit, you may have issues with Ferndale too. It is fairly urban, older, cosmopolitan. If we could be on it, I woudl bet lunch you end up in Roayl Oak, unless you personally visit mid-town before choosing.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 643 times
Livonia use to be one of the top ten places in the country to live.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 AM

27,772 posts, read 65,683,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeindetroit View Post
Livonia use to be one of the top ten places in the country to live.
I think that is probably about the time I lived there (1963 - 1970)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or