U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,513 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I will be moving to Detroit and let's be honest Detroit has a bad reputation when it comes to crimes and I will be attending school here so please could you tell me the safest neighborhood to move to ..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 13,252 times
Need a bit more info to make a recommendation - where will you be studying? What is your monthly budget for rent? The Detroit metro area is YUUUGE...

Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM

Wayne State univ and I do not mind driving a couple more minutes to school if the area is safe

budget is something around $1200 for 2

Last edited by Frankey22; 11-29-2016 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
Midtown (where Wayne State is) would be an awesome, and very safe, place to live. If you want to spend a bit less, but remain a quick walk or bike ride to class, New Center and even Woodbridge or North End could work out. Woodbridge and North End are a bit less gentrified and more Detroity than Midtown or New Center, but you'll spend less.

If you have a car and don't mind a commute there are lots of beautiful suburbs that are nearby(ish) and safe enough to walk alone after dark or forget to lock your doors at night. Personally if I were you I'd live in the city - and specifically in Midtown, but there are lots of great options for places to call home. Don't believe everything the media sells you about Detroit.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Midtown (where Wayne State is) would be an awesome, and very safe, place to live. If you want to spend a bit less, but remain a quick walk or bike ride to class, New Center and even Woodbridge or North End could work out. Woodbridge and North End are a bit less gentrified and more Detroity than Midtown or New Center, but you'll spend less.

If you have a car and don't mind a commute there are lots of beautiful suburbs that are nearby(ish) and safe enough to walk alone after dark or forget to lock your doors at night. Personally if I were you I'd live in the city - and specifically in Midtown, but there are lots of great options for places to call home. Don't believe everything the media sells you about Detroit.
thanks for this awesome response ..

Could you tell me more about the nearby suburbs ?

because I really wanna walk alone when it is dark , I have never been to Detroit but I saw the crime rate on neighborhoodscout.com and it is kinda scary

I asked you guys because I wanna your point of view of Detroit

Old 11-29-2016, 12:44 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Thing with Detroit is it is very large. So if 1 is uber safe lay naked in the streets without a problem and 10 is wear a body bag and save the corner some time, you might say Midtown is round 3 or 4 but other parts of Detroit are 10. That averages out to 6 or 7 and sounds pretty darn scary. However you would be in mid-town and not likely to even be able to hear the gunshots from areas that are at the 9-10 level. In other words average crime statistics for 135 square miles of Detroit are useless information. You need to know the statistics for the area you are in.

One problem in Detroit is the nice areas tend to be scattered about rather than all in one place, so you can be surrounded by mediocre or bad areas and want to stay pretty much in your neighborhood area unless you are in a car.

On the other hand. Mid-town and downtown (which are connected) are the liveliest, must cultural sportiest, active, fun,places in Michigan (excluding outdoor adventure kind of fun which is elsewhere). Being able to step out your door and into the life/fun culture etcetera would be awesome. Driving to it and parking is not so fun. However you also pay a premium for the fun places.

Thing is with our metro, the suburbs that touch Detroit are mostly not that nice. Get out a little further, and the suburbs are incredibly awesome.

Options to consider: Grosse Pointe(s) - not many rentals, but very close. Troy (boring, but clean and safe and a really fancy mall). Royal Oak - a fun place - rivals mid-town (almost), but not in Detroit. Maybe Dearborn.

Somewhat close but not super nice, safe, or interesting:
Livonia, Redford Township. , Southgate, Riverview. Woodhaven. Maybe Southfield

Getting out a way into the awesomeness (about an hour commute each way give or take a little):

Northville, Plymouth, Novi, South Lyon, Lyon township, Wixom, Walled Lake, Grosse Ile, Rochester, Romeo, Franklin, Dixborough, Farmington/Farmington Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, West Bloomfield, Trenton, Salem, Saline, Huron Township, Milford, Ann Arbor (a whole different kettle not like anyplace else), Brighton, Canton, Ypsilanti (parts are nice, parts are icky) . . . I am missing probably 10.

Personally, I think a Wayne State Student who is going to rent is plumb crazy not to live in midtown, unless you simply cannot afford it or are too uncomfortable with the word "Detroit" (in which case you should probably consider a different school, since you will be in midtown most of your waking hours anyway).

Old 11-29-2016, 03:41 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Personally, I think a Wayne State Student who is going to rent is plumb crazy not to live in midtown, unless you simply cannot afford it or are too uncomfortable with the word "Detroit" (in which case you should probably consider a different school, since you will be in midtown most of your waking hours anyway).
From this person's 3 posts, it appears he/she wants nothing to do with living anywhere in Detroit.

4 nearby suburbs that would be safe and be a 20 minute commute to Wayne State would be Ferndale, Royal Oak, Madison Heights, and the Grosse Pointes.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,800,902 times
The best options are downtown and midtown. The Grosse Pointe area is the nicest and safest that is the closest. For a commute less than 20 minutes without traffic... I would also look at Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Redford, Southfield, Oak Park, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Madison Heights, and some of the other suburbs around those areas.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:29 AM

2,952 posts, read 4,346,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thing with Detroit is it is very large. So if 1 is uber safe lay naked in the streets without a problem and 10 is wear a body bag and save the corner some time, you might say Midtown is round 3 or 4 but other parts of Detroit are 10. That averages out to 6 or 7 and sounds pretty darn scary. However you would be in mid-town and not likely to even be able to hear the gunshots from areas that are at the 9-10 level. In other words average crime statistics for 135 square miles of Detroit are useless information. You need to know the statistics for the area you are in.

One problem in Detroit is the nice areas tend to be scattered about rather than all in one place, so you can be surrounded by mediocre or bad areas and want to stay pretty much in your neighborhood area unless you are in a car.

On the other hand. Mid-town and downtown (which are connected) are the liveliest, must cultural sportiest, active, fun,places in Michigan (excluding outdoor adventure kind of fun which is elsewhere). Being able to step out your door and into the life/fun culture etcetera would be awesome. Driving to it and parking is not so fun. However you also pay a premium for the fun places.

Thing is with our metro, the suburbs that touch Detroit are mostly not that nice. Get out a little further, and the suburbs are incredibly awesome.

Options to consider: Grosse Pointe(s) - not many rentals, but very close. Troy (boring, but clean and safe and a really fancy mall). Royal Oak - a fun place - rivals mid-town (almost), but not in Detroit. Maybe Dearborn.

Somewhat close but not super nice, safe, or interesting:
Livonia, Redford Township. , Southgate, Riverview. Woodhaven. Maybe Southfield

Getting out a way into the awesomeness (about an hour commute each way give or take a little):

Northville, Plymouth, Novi, South Lyon, Lyon township, Wixom, Walled Lake, Grosse Ile, Rochester, Romeo, Franklin, Dixborough, Farmington/Farmington Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, West Bloomfield, Trenton, Salem, Saline, Huron Township, Milford, Ann Arbor (a whole different kettle not like anyplace else), Brighton, Canton, Ypsilanti (parts are nice, parts are icky) . . . I am missing probably 10.

Unless things have changed drastically, Livonia is indeed "super safe." It used to be the safest city over 100,000 people in the country.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:38 AM

2,952 posts, read 4,346,099 times
The OP isn't giving enough info. Why does a student need a 2BR?

There are a gajillion safe places you could move to in metro Detroit.

People living in Detroit proper these days are overwhelmingly just born/from there or have made a very deliberate decision -- aka young people who want to live in the city.

It isn't the kind of place you just plop a family from Nebraska down randomly.

i.e., unless you consciously find living in an urban environment attractive, which you have not indicated, living in Detroit just for proximity to Wayne doesn't make any sense. It's a commuter school for the most part, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or