Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 02:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times

Advertisements

For all the grief the city gets. I don't think even the biggest haters of the city can deny that this was a pretty special week for the City of Detroit. Here's a couple news stories to come out of the city:
* Detroit Promise for tuition-free college now includes 4-year universities

* Dan Gilbert discusses Detroit going vertical; new details on City Modern revealed

* Pistons officially announce downtown Detroit move beginning next season

* Adient moving to downtown Detroit’s Marquette Building

* Sources: Gilbert's Monroe Block plan includes at least 20 stories of office, residential component
Not a bad week for city engaged in what is currently the most abrupt and unexpected trajectory change in the nation. Hyperbole? Maybe... maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Detroit has benefited for several years of good mayoral leadership (after a long period of spectacularly bad mayoral leadership during the late 20th Century and until 2008 of this Century). While not the only factor, it helps.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 11-30-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,564 times
The Detroit promise program is really cool and Detroit already has several top performing school. Parents just need to put in extra effort to get their kids into Renaissance High or Cass Tech. then you get best of both world. there are several good elementary school and of course parents can include subsidized teaching after hour to make up for anything kids lost.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
This is fantastic for Detroit Public Schools. This could single handily stop the bleeding of kids going to school in the burbs especially if they start improving the school system itself. This could also bring in more support now that people know what is at stake. I hope this makes national news like all of the bad news coming from DPS does. And imagine what a whole generation of Detroit kids getting a bachelors degree without worrying about student debt will bring a few years down the road. A more educated population in the region which could bring new jobs into the area, WSU could possibly grow alot faster, students have a much better chance at doing something to help Detroit in many ways because alot of them actually do want to help the city. This could bring the city a few more Dan Gilbert's lol.

They have this same thing in Kalamazoo, this is great for the kids opportunity because let's face it... a university is WAYYY too expensive.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
This is fantastic for Detroit Public Schools. This could single handily stop the bleeding of kids going to school in the burbs especially if they start improving the school system itself. This could also bring in more support now that people know what is at stake. I hope this makes national news like all of the bad news coming from DPS does. And imagine what a whole generation of Detroit kids getting a bachelors degree without worrying about student debt will bring a few years down the road. A more educated population in the region which could bring new jobs into the area, WSU could possibly grow alot faster, students have a much better chance at doing something to help Detroit in many ways because alot of them actually do want to help the city. This could bring the city a few more Dan Gilbert's lol.

They have this same thing in Kalamazoo, this is great for the kids opportunity because let's face it... a university is WAYYY too expensive.
I was going to ask, I know Kalamazoo has been doing this - have kids returned to Kalamazoo Public Schools? I too agree that the incentive for good parents to send their kids to DPS will significantly help DPS which currently seems to suffer from a situation where most of the good parents in Detroit send their kids to private schools or schools in Southfield/Ferndale/Redford/etc.

If we started seeing an influx of the good students in Detroit (of which there certainly are) actually attending DPS it would make a whole world of difference to the schools within just a couple years. Solid move by both the city and state

Old 12-01-2016, 01:26 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I was going to ask, I know Kalamazoo has been doing this - have kids returned to Kalamazoo Public Schools? I too agree that the incentive for good parents to send their kids to DPS will significantly help DPS which currently seems to suffer from a situation where most of the good parents in Detroit send their kids to private schools or schools in Southfield/Ferndale/Redford/etc.

If we started seeing an influx of the good students in Detroit (of which there certainly are) actually attending DPS it would make a whole world of difference to the schools within just a couple years. Solid move by both the city and state
I was curious about this myself. I initially was going to say no Kzoo had not experienced a student increase but that's inaccurate. The numbers aren't particularly dramatic, but Kalamazoo has experienced an enrollment increase in 9 of the last 11 years. That also coincides with the programs creation in 2005.

The city of Kalamazoo has a growth rate of 2.4% between 2010-2014. Given the cities attractive downtown and growth in R&D, corporate, and education sectors, I'd say it's growth patterns mirror other cities that are emerging from an industrial based economy. I don't think it's population growth is tied to the promise. It's schools not declining has to be. Grand Rapids has had a full point and half faster growth rate, but it's city schools enrollment has remained flat or has slightly declined.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
And imagine what a whole generation of Detroit kids getting a bachelors degree without worrying about student debt will bring a few years down the road.
Unfortunately, it may benefit Chicago, New York and LA more than Detroit. However as Detroit becomes more and more alive, it will have a better chance of keeping kids here after college.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:55 PM

290 posts, read 312,746 times
Quote:

Why do you need the DPS if the DPS is so bad as you see it. People who continue to talk and stereotype DPS this DPS that fail to realize that more students from Detroit attend charter schools .So if that is the case why do people continue to talk about DPS, because it sells papers? . If 75% of kids from Detroit either attend a charter a private or a suburban school, why do we spend so much time talking about 25% and don't even care how the 75% are doing. Can you name five charter high schools in Detroit since you care about Detroit students so much. There are at least seven in the downtown, midtown area alone.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:06 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
For all the grief the city gets. I don't think even the biggest haters of the city can deny that this was a pretty special week for the City of Detroit. Here's a couple news stories to come out of the city:
* Detroit Promise for tuition-free college now includes 4-year universities

* Dan Gilbert discusses Detroit going vertical; new details on City Modern revealed

* Pistons officially announce downtown Detroit move beginning next season

* Adient moving to downtown Detroit’s Marquette Building

* Sources: Gilbert's Monroe Block plan includes at least 20 stories of office, residential component
Not a bad week for city engaged in what is currently the most abrupt and unexpected trajectory change in the nation. Hyperbole? Maybe... maybe not.
And not a single Detroit resident benefited from the huge corporate tax incentives all designed to up-lift the Pepperoni Bowl and pay homage to Karmanos's economic strangle-hold over a city still on life-support.

Kind of like jacking the heart full of adrenaline while the lungs and kidneys are failing.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM

290 posts, read 312,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And not a single Detroit resident benefited from the huge corporate tax incentives all designed to up-lift the Pepperoni Bowl and pay homage to Karmanos's economic strangle-hold over a city still on life-support.

Kind of like jacking the heart full of adrenaline while the lungs and kidneys are failing.

Stop generalizing, there are many Detroiters working in downtown Detroit, Midtown etc. There are many nice neighborhoods in Detroit and everyone in Detroit is not sitting around saying oh me oh my eating out of garbage. Quit it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit