U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 PM
 
12,551 posts, read 7,615,133 times
Reputation: 4767

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is because you are making assumptions from nothing.

Yes, of course I have spoken with them, particularly as the election approached. Answer - not really interested/don't know.

Did you want quotes from conversations? Video?

How about a list of names of people who have made it clear they have no idea and do not care whom is involved in City government or what they are doing?
Fair enough! I take you for your word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2016, 12:07 PM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,746,080 times
Reputation: 1438
Part of it is human nature - most optimists have a hard time relating to depressed people. Our nature is to just say "get over it". Empathy towards someone who isn't choosing to look on the bright side is hard to find. It's never genuine or sincere.

Like they say - We're all too blessed to be stressed. Too grateful to be hateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM
 
12,551 posts, read 7,615,133 times
Reputation: 4767
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Got no bubble, just truly puzzled. I lived in another state for 40 years. I have no interest in their forums. People tend to approach issues from different angles, and I just like to understand motivations. I like people. I dislike their pain, as I am an empathetic person. I find it pretty easy to look at a problem from different points of view, too. It's a skill, somewhat learned and somewhat innate. I do dislike hostility and find it counter-productive.
Really, I am sorry that the cities here depress you so much. Not sure what you are trying to achieve when you post. I don't know if most people care, most just respond to the general context.
Some people like fruit cakes.....and cannot understand why others would not. It's because as much as we are all mostly alike, we are individuals and what would motivate you might not motivate me and what motive me might not motivate you. The great thing is that we are free to be who we are and hence I am not bound or forced to think like you....nor you me.

I am still a Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons, Wolverines fan.....above all others. I guess that should not make sense either....since I don't live in Michigan anymore. I should just be a fan of the teams in the city and state that I now live. In other words, unless I plan on moving back to Michigan, I should not still be a loyal fan of Michigan sports teams. As a matter of fact....I am wearing a Michigan state sweatshirt now.....lol......I guess you don't think I should be wearing it.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-02-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM
 
12,551 posts, read 7,615,133 times
Reputation: 4767
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Part of it is human nature - most optimists have a hard time relating to depressed people. Our nature is to just say "get over it". Empathy towards someone who isn't choosing to look on the bright side is hard to find. It's never genuine or sincere.

Like they say - We're all too blessed to be stressed. Too grateful to be hateful.
Yep....but such people are NEVER the people who bring about needed change to society and the world. Don't worry be happy did not lead to the emancipation of slavery, it did not bring about women suffrage, civil rights, the ousting of Hitler....etc. Left up to the optimist care free stress free crowd......we would still be stuck in a draconian era.

I guess the optimist are optimistic because they know eventually someone else will become discontent, stressed and fed up with the way things are.......and make positive real change for society.

That having been seen.....its not a dichotomy of the pessimist vs the optimist and them not being able to see the world as the other......here....the dichotomy is racial. Blacks do not know what it is like to be white and whites do not know what it like to be black.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-02-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
1,285 posts, read 1,076,391 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Some people like fruit cakes.....and cannot understand why others would not. It's because as much as we are all mostly alike, we are individuals and what would motivate you might not motivate me and what motive me might not motivate you. The great thing is that we are free to be who we are and hence I am not bound or forced to think like you....nor you me.

I am still a Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons, Wolverines fan.....above all others. I guess that should not make sense either....since I don't live in Michigan anymore. I should just be a fan of the teams in the city and state that I now live. In other words, unless I plan on moving back to Michigan, I should not still be a loyal fan of Michigan sports teams. As a matter of fact....I am wearing a Michigan state sweatshirt now.....lol......I guess you don't think I should be wearing it.

Go Green! I enjoy the thought, actually. I still wear sweats from my former state. They're nice and warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 01:02 PM
 
12,551 posts, read 7,615,133 times
Reputation: 4767
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Go Green! I enjoy the thought, actually. I still wear sweats from my former state. They're nice and warm.
Seems kind of hypocritical that you wear sweats from your FORMER state, while living in Michigan. I must ask...."if you are not planning on moving back to that state....why are you wearing their sweats? I mean....they have nice warm sweats with the name of many Michigan colleges on them" lol....just pulling your chain.....lol. Thus....just think of this forum as an old pair of sweats for me.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-02-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,746,080 times
Reputation: 1438
I think Rick Snyder, Dan Gilbert, Kevyn Orr, Steven Rhodes and Mike Duggan are all optimists. I think those five men have brought more positive change in the past six years to Michigan and Detroit than anyone else dreamed possible or than has been done since 2000. Being an optimist means you see a broken process and you delight in fixing it. It means you don't assign blame or get derailed by negative setbacks. It's all relentless positive movement forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM
 
12,551 posts, read 7,615,133 times
Reputation: 4767
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I think Rick Snyder, Dan Gilbert, Kevyn Orr, Steven Rhodes and Mike Duggan are all optimists. I think those five men have brought more positive change in the past six years to Michigan and Detroit than anyone else dreamed possible or than has been done since 2000. Being an optimist means you see a broken process and you delight in fixing it. It means you don't assign blame or get derailed by negative setbacks. It's all relentless positive movement forward.
Maybe they are realist. As I said in my introduction, Michigan HAD to start investing in its cities growth and vitality to compete for young talent who were flocking to cities that were dense, vibrant, walkable, etc. Divestment from Michigan cities put them at a competitive disadvantage for attracting young talent. If the state wanted to keep its major corporation and attract new ones, it had to start focusing more on the cities. In fact, its just simply in their best interest to do what they are doing, whether they are pessimist or optimist.....they have to be COMPETITIVE.

States compete for corporations, businesses and plants and corporations compete for talented workers. Thus, the nucleus is attracting talented young educated professionals and creating the type of environment they want. They are not investing in Detroit because they are optimist.....they have to invest to compete. The image of the city became a national joke and how can you lure talented workers with an image like that?

That said...they are doing a good job at reinvestment. Just think.....none of this had to happen if the business community never decided to flee the city in the first place. Detroit and Philly used to be like sister cities in regards to population and size. Philly was never abandoned like Detroit. Michigan shot itself in the foot with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,746,080 times
Reputation: 1438
We're on the same page - so rather than just saying "Woe is Michigan" because we had eight years under the worst governor ever (i.e. Lost Decade) and blaming our decline on external factors - as you said, we "got competitive."

So how or what are those that you perceive not part of Detroit's Renaissance doing to get themselves competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,767 posts, read 65,654,187 times
Reputation: 32952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Some people like fruit cakes.....and cannot understand why others would not. I
Have you actually talked to someone who likes fruit cakes?

You are challenging my entire worldview. I thought no one liked fruitcakes and we just re-gift them endlessly for decades. I cannot even get my bird to eat fruitcake and he eats everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top