Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 AM

42 posts, read 59,531 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in rural TN, and really want to move back home. I am low income, so I can't afford a 150K house.

I am looking at something online, and talking to realtor about a property in Farmington Hills on Inkster Road between 8 and 9 Mile. Right on the Southfield line.

I can't deal with crime. I have PTSD from being the survivor of 2 extremely violent crimes. That is why I moved to rural TN 15 years ago.

Can anyone give me information on this area, and if the crime is bad, will be getting worse down the road, etc. I am older and can't defend myself like I did when I was younger.

Thankyou!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:10 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,475,955 times
I used to live near that area, and it is certainly the seedier side of town. There are a lot of low-end businesses such as pawn shops and tattoo parlors nearby. There are a few trailer parks, and it is very close to the Redford border which probably attracts higher property crime than usual. I think the area has improved somewhat since the housing crash, but it is always going to be a lower middle class suburb.

Safe is a relative term. Is it safer than Detroit? Most certainly. Compared to the average Metro Detroit suburb, I would rate it below average.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:28 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,839,452 times
Most of Farmington Hills is very safe. It is a very large suburb. That section of it has long been a higher crime area.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:13 PM

56 posts, read 64,538 times
I actually rent a house between 8 and 9 mile roads VERY close to Inkster road (I can see it) in Southfield. I have never experienced any issues with crime. Our neighborhood is quiet and the residential streets have low traffic.

Check out the Crime Map, this will kind of give you an idea.
CrimeMapping.com - Helping You Build a Safer Community

Old 12-01-2016, 03:57 PM

202 posts, read 247,674 times
Not great, not terrible.
A "bad" area of FH is subjective, considering the low crime rate of the city as a whole.
Thats one of the oldest and cheapest area. The Woodmont Trailer Park is there and that place is absolute squalor. I don't have a problem with trailer parks and have considered living in one. But that place contains very old (1960s-70s) trailers in poor condition stacked just a few feet apart.The kind of place where you find chronic drunks and crackheads. Basically the kind of place that would be home to the neighborhood alcoholic that you always see staggering down the side of the road at all hours.
There was also a fatal shooting at a liquor store along that stretch a few years ago, but thats not really normal for the area. I think the fact that they had a dingy liquor store, though, reveals that its not the nicest area because that kind of place wouldnt even exist north of 11 Mile.
One of the worst parts of Farmington Hills, but its still farmington Hills. More forlorn and tired than dangerous.I think FH Police are on top of things and wont let it get too bad, but that area is the red-headed stepchild of the city that the rest of the town ignores talking about.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:10 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,475,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Not great, not terrible.
A "bad" area of FH is subjective, considering the low crime rate of the city as a whole.
Thats one of the oldest and cheapest area. The Woodmont Trailer Park is there and that place is absolute squalor. I don't have a problem with trailer parks and have considered living in one. But that place contains very old (1960s-70s) trailers in poor condition stacked just a few feet apart.The kind of place where you find chronic drunks and crackheads. Basically the kind of place that would be home to the neighborhood alcoholic that you always see staggering down the side of the road at all hours.
There was also a fatal shooting at a liquor store along that stretch a few years ago, but thats not really normal for the area. I think the fact that they had a dingy liquor store, though, reveals that its not the nicest area because that kind of place wouldnt even exist north of 11 Mile.
One of the worst parts of Farmington Hills, but its still farmington Hills. More forlorn and tired than dangerous.I think FH Police are on top of things and wont let it get too bad, but that area is the red-headed stepchild of the city that the rest of the town ignores talking about.
Accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit