U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 AM

1,415 posts, read 814,341 times

Advertisements

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any memories or information about a private Christmas display that used to be set up in Roseville. It was set up on someone's property on a residential street and featured a Santa's Workshop display full of automated characters. People would simply park on the street and go and view the exhibit. My parents used to take my sister and I to visit it, the time period would have been the late 80's-early 90's. I doubt the display still exists, and I'm not sure how long it ran prior to us visiting, or how long after.

Try as I might, I can't find anything about it online. If I only knew the street name, or the name of the person who ran it I might come up with something.

I'm only looking out of curiosity. It would be interesting to see a photo of it to see if it matches my memories. I've also tried describing it to my wife a few times and would like to show her a picture. My dad doesn't remember a lot of details about it, but acts like it wasn't impressive. It may be that to a young child it seemed amazing but to an adult it wasn't all that much.

If anyone remembers this display at all please comment, I need confirmation that it existed and that I'm not crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM

1,717 posts, read 840,738 times
Are you certain it was in Roseville? There was a famous yard display in Royal Oak on the corner of 12 Mile and Washington that the family put up from the late 70s until 2013. I have some video of it from Christmas 2008 if this is the same one you are remembering.

After decades, family pulling plug on Christmas display | C & G Newspapers

Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Are you certain it was in Roseville? There was a famous yard display in Royal Oak on the corner of 12 Mile and Washington that the family put up from the late 70s until 2013. I have some video of it from Christmas 2008 if this is the same one you are remembering.

After decades, family pulling plug on Christmas display | C & G Newspapers
I found that article, but yes, I'm sure it was in Roseville.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:48 PM

14,551 posts, read 13,286,415 times
I remember that, but I don't remember where it was. If I recall correctly, it was set up in their loving room and they built a wooden walkway in front of the picture window.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:44 PM

142 posts, read 117,666 times
A lot of good ones have come and gone.

I the 80s, there was a great one on Lake Angelus Rd, near what later became the site of Great Lakes Crossing. We would go out of our way to see that one.
Further north, there was a really good one on Spezia in Oxford.

By the early-90s, the Lake Angelus house no longer had the display. Not sure if the Spezia house still does. We drove by it about 25 years ago.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 PM

9,946 posts, read 16,555,190 times
There was also one in Grosse Pointe Woods that people would come from miles around to see. I remember that as a kid.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 868 times
You are not crazy and it was Roseville Michigan on the corner of Indiana and Tennessee. That was my grandfather who did that and some of my best memories as a child. His name was Warren Koppman. I have asked my dad to try and locate some pictures and will definitely post what I find. I am so glad that others hold this memory.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toennies View Post
You are not crazy and it was Roseville Michigan on the corner of Indiana and Tennessee. That was my grandfather who did that and some of my best memories as a child. His name was Warren Koppman. I have asked my dad to try and locate some pictures and will definitely post what I find. I am so glad that others hold this memory.
Small world! Your grandpa gave my siblings and I some nice memories. If you located photos I would be very appreciative. Your grandpa must have been a cool guy.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:44 AM

7 posts, read 7,796 times
Always great to ride down Jefferson and see the mansions decorated in Grosse Pointe.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 305 times
It was on the corner of Indiana and Tennessee, behind what now is Farmer Jacks Grocery at 13 mile road and Gratiot. It was my parents house, but it’s no longer there and my mothers house was sold and torn down. There are a lot of great memories there. If anyone would like some pictures, email me at [email]lawrencekoppman@gmail.com[/email].
Merry Christmas to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or