U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2016, 12:03 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,816,565 times
Reputation: 10931

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
According to a Free Press article on Jim Ellison (Mayor of Royal Oak, moving onto state legislature) this morning,

"Brushing off the barbs of critics, the largely pro-development Ellison helped Royal Oak ... And he watched it unleash, since the Great Recession, a run of residential construction virtually unmatched by any other metro Detroit community on a new-housing-per-capita basis in 2013-15 (2016 figures were incomplete)"

And I believe anyone who has driven around the neighborhoods near the Central Business District of Royal Oak would believe this - and the new houses and condos going in are long-term family homes. Many older nearby towns (Birmingham, Berkley, Huntington Woods.. even Clawson and Ferndale to a lesser extent) are experiencing similar redevelopment trends, so I wouldn't be too fixated on this idea that development and growth is only happening at the fringes. Inner-ring redevelopment will help drive Metro Detroit growth as long, as the economy stays strong. Again, while there will always be people who want more space and don't mind the long commutes, living in semi-urban areas is desirable again, for many.
When I do Google Maps street views around there, it reminds me of the densepack beehives going in as infill here in the inner ring SF burbs (and even beyond). Some also refer to them as "Millennial dorms" tongue only half in cheek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I don't consider Royal Oak to be a typical inner-ring suburb given its unique characteristics and sustained popularity among young professionals. I would be more interested in development trends in places like Livonia, Warren and Dearborn.
Ran a quick search on new homes available in those cities. There's more than I expected in Livonia and Dearborn. Warren was about what I expected. That isn't to say that Warren has no development going on, but rather I believe there are enough vacant homes still in Warren that there just isn't the market to build there yet; on the commercial side of things where I work, off 12 Mile in Warren, I've seen many empty storefronts filling up over the last year with restaurants and businesses. Another surprising Area to watch would be Redford, while I wouldn't expect any new homes in the area, population has stabilized and I've been working on a couple redevelopment projects along Telegraph through Redford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 10:43 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
Just read another article about how much the Brighton area is booming. I drove through there this week and there's mile after mile of big new builds. I just don't see anything that proves the sprawl is slowing down, or that families are moving to Detroit. If anything, it just seems the inner-ring suburbs of Detroit are getting as bad as Detroit as the wealth moves further and further away from the city.

Ann Arbor, Brighton, South Lyon, Oakland Township, Oxford, Clarkston, Romeo.
SPRAWL is alive and well in western Oakland and Livingston County. We have been in Genoa Township (between Brighton and Howell) since spring 2012 and it has done nothing but grown into a cluster.

Housing is once again out of sight and market prices increasing at 15% a year (minimum).

My wife and I have said our next stop will be the Livingston / Ingham County line--but where do you go from there? Further west and it is Lansing. Maybe NORTH towards St Johns? It will not be long before Dexter and Chelsea are overcome.

At this rate, moving back to Wayne County might not be so bad once it has been abandoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 10:51 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
My boss commutes from Brighton to downtown every day. She lives on acreage, not in a subdivision. I'm not sure where her husband works, so that could play a part in their decision, but I think it is more the rural community that they wanted.

Commutes are a funny thing. My commute is 65 miles and takes me about 55 minutes. I work with people who live in Oakland, Macomb, and even Wayne county, within a 30 mile radius, and their commutes can be 45 minutes or more. I have a long drive, but it is relatively headache free, with the exception of the 14 mile to 8 mile stretch. And then, when I run errands around home, I have absolutely no traffic. I may spend a little more time during my daily commute, but many of my coworkers deal with heavy traffic with every single errand they run. No thanks.

With weather like today, I start considering moving closer. However, I don't want to go farther from my family, I spend only about half of what rent would be closer to Detroit, and I enjoy having traffic free weekends.

I listen to audiobooks and the time really doesn't bother me. I'm an avid reader and when I started the commute, I was frustrated because I didn't have much free time to read. When I realized how many digital audiobooks my library had, I started listening to them and it is no longer an issue.
I am commuting 55 miles one way from Brighton to the DMC / Midtown. We made this decision simply to avoid Wayne County and because there was next to nothing we could afford in Oakland County that did not look or feel like Wayne County.

Two people here at work commute from Flushing (75 miles one way) with most living within 10--20 miles of the school.
The drive is not bad, except when dealing with major construction on any freeway then it is a maze of jumping from secondary road to secondary road until I find one less traveled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Reputation: 32915
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I am commuting 55 miles one way from Brighton to the DMC / Midtown. We made this decision simply to avoid Wayne County and because there was next to nothing we could afford in Oakland County that did not look or feel like Wayne County.
I did not know people would go to that extreme to avoid Wayne County. I do not love the county, but they do not impact me all that much I know their politics are a bit of a cluster, but what is it that would make someone commute an extra hour or more a day, 220 days a year, to avoid Wayne county? That is more than a month of working day time spent commuting each year there must be some huge disadvantage of lining in Wayne County that I am not aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,800,902 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I did not know people would go to that extreme to avoid Wayne County. I do not love the county, but they do not impact me all that much I know their politics are a bit of a cluster, but what is it that would make someone commute an extra hour or more a day, 220 days a year, to avoid Wayne county? That is more than a month of working day time spent commuting each year there must be some huge disadvantage of lining in Wayne County that I am not aware of.
Not saying this is that posters reason... but there are quite a few people I see online that avoid Wayne co simply because they don't like the demographics (Wayne Co is the most diverse co in MI), or they don't like the working class suburbs feel that most of Wayne Co is. Honestly anything west of 275 is just like northern OC, northern Macomb Co, and Livingston Co. The outskirts of downriver is the same story from what I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 05:50 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I did not know people would go to that extreme to avoid Wayne County. I do not love the county, but they do not impact me all that much I know their politics are a bit of a cluster, but what is it that would make someone commute an extra hour or more a day, 220 days a year, to avoid Wayne county? That is more than a month of working day time spent commuting each year there must be some huge disadvantage of lining in Wayne County that I am not aware of.
Having lived there 45 years, I can say I have experienced way too much non-sense to be at home in Wayne County. And I am not alone. I know at least 4-6 other families that would move on a heart beat if they could sell the home---especially since they cannot find work that pays a living wage in Wayne County and have to commute to Novi from Down River.

My brother is still in Taylor and experienced his 6th break in last month--and he has high end security. My nieces and nephews have left and found places either in Kzoo area or out of state.

I suppose if we could live in an island, we would avoid much of the daily drama.

By commuting that extra hour, (I do it 150 days) we have far less drama (except when we go to Green Oak and freak at the traffic there at Lee Road.) We have 3 or 5 great metro parks and a 3 state recreation areas, access to the Chain of Lakes to spend the day on, and some really great mom & pops business and eateries--not to mention weekly trips to HELL that are actually quite nice.

We spent s much time traveling outside of Wane County when we lived there to do all the stuff that is less than 10 minutes away now. So before it was a 15 minute drive to work and HOURS to elsewhere every week and now it is a few hour commute and we spend way more time doing the elsewhere than we ever could living i n Wayne County.

And yes, the politics here is just as big a cluster, but taxes are more than 60% less for more house than we paid in Wayne County and my wife does more business here than she would in Wayne County as the folks here seem top have more to spend--or they are just willing to spend more?

SO for those who have lived the majority of their lives in Wayne County and not on an island, we have a different perspective and have seen the decline from a solid blue collar life to a mediocre existence.
That is not to say an island is the only refugee from mediocrity, as there are still a few cities that have manged to provide a barrier between themselves and "outsiders." But even places like Livonia and Canton are starting to feel the effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 06:16 AM
 
60,413 posts, read 85,486,501 times
Reputation: 13267
It sounds like people are going to start commuting from Ingram County/the Lansing metro into Detroit. I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if places like Williamston, Webberville and even Okemos and Haslett in Meridian Township become options for some people. This is especially the case if said people work in western Wayne or western Oakland counties. It actually isn't that bad of a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,800,902 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Having lived there 45 years, I can say I have experienced way too much non-sense to be at home in Wayne County. And I am not alone. I know at least 4-6 other families that would move on a heart beat if they could sell the home---especially since they cannot find work that pays a living wage in Wayne County and have to commute to Novi from Down River.

My brother is still in Taylor and experienced his 6th break in last month--and he has high end security. My nieces and nephews have left and found places either in Kzoo area or out of state.

I suppose if we could live in an island, we would avoid much of the daily drama.

By commuting that extra hour, (I do it 150 days) we have far less drama (except when we go to Green Oak and freak at the traffic there at Lee Road.) We have 3 or 5 great metro parks and a 3 state recreation areas, access to the Chain of Lakes to spend the day on, and some really great mom & pops business and eateries--not to mention weekly trips to HELL that are actually quite nice.

We spent s much time traveling outside of Wane County when we lived there to do all the stuff that is less than 10 minutes away now. So before it was a 15 minute drive to work and HOURS to elsewhere every week and now it is a few hour commute and we spend way more time doing the elsewhere than we ever could living i n Wayne County.

And yes, the politics here is just as big a cluster, but taxes are more than 60% less for more house than we paid in Wayne County and my wife does more business here than she would in Wayne County as the folks here seem top have more to spend--or they are just willing to spend more?

SO for those who have lived the majority of their lives in Wayne County and not on an island, we have a different perspective and have seen the decline from a solid blue collar life to a mediocre existence.
That is not to say an island is the only refugee from mediocrity, as there are still a few cities that have manged to provide a barrier between themselves and "outsiders." But even places like Livonia and Canton are starting to feel the effects.
What is Canton starting to feel the effects of when it has continued to grow every census?

And what do you mean outsiders? most communities are in Wayne Co have a crime rate at national average or safer. According to city-data Detroit, Harper Woods, Inkster, and Ecorse, are the only cities in Wayne Co with a crime rate above national average. There are no data for townships. Everywhere else is either at national average or lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Having lived there 45 years, I can say I have experienced way too much non-sense to be at home in Wayne County. And I am not alone. I know at least 4-6 other families that would move on a heart beat if they could sell the home---especially since they cannot find work that pays a living wage in Wayne County and have to commute to Novi from Down River.


We spent so much time traveling outside of Wane County when we lived there to do all the stuff that is less than 10 minutes away now. So before it was a 15 minute drive to work and HOURS to elsewhere every week and now it is a few hour commute and we spend way more time doing the elsewhere than we ever could living in Wayne County.
More hyperbole from this gentleman. Are you saying that the Canton-Livonia-Plymouth-Northville (I-275) corridor doesn't have "stuff" to go to? Ford Road in Canton has almost every chain imaginable. Laurel Park Place Mall and its environs; Westland Mall and the vast commercial area around it; downtown Plymouth; downtown Northville

For recreation, you have Hines Drive, Maybury State Park, Lower Huron MetroPark; not as good as your area though, admittedly.

Folks, this is the same guy who challenged someone to walk in Midtown at 10 pm at night, as if that was akin to an American walking around Helmund province in Afghanistan. That challenge was so puzzling, especially coming from someone who has working in Midtown for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top