U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 996 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to the Metro Detroit area from Chicago. We have consistently heard from our families who do not live here how Chicago is not very safe, but we have felt very safe here so we are not quick to write off an area because of a few bad reviews. We have found a home in Mount Clemens that we like and we are close to putting in an offer. We aren't looking for a forever house just a fixer we can rent out in a few years when we can actually afford out dream home in an area TBD. We have found a lot of conflicting information about the area, a lot of it seems out of date, and inconsistent.

The area we are looking in is about half way between downtown and the Gibraltar Trade Center. I was also excited because it is fairly close to the farmers market that is open May through November.

Any information from current or recent residents of the area would be appreciated. What is the area really like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times
I believe Mount Clemens is probably a decent investment at this point. Most notably: It's cheap. Compare the price of what you're getting there with other Metro Detroit suburbs with a developed central business district (Birmingham, Royal Oak, Northville.. all rather posh and expensive when compared to Mount Clemens) On top of that, it's relatively safe. It certainly won't be making any Top 10 Safest Cities lists this decade, but you can walk from the bar to your house at night without much worry of trouble like you may have if you lived in Pontiac or the neighborhoods of Detroit.

The drawbacks are schools and household income levels, which are largely related. The demographic in Mt. Clemens is a bit poorer than nearby suburbs, and because income correlates directly with educational success the school aren't super great (quite frankly, they're awful), and this of course holds down property values as families with kids don't put it on the top of their short-list of places to move and it often becomes a temporary place, or a place people settle on, rather than a destination.

Population is estimated to have grown there by almost 1% from 2010 to 2015, and property values have risen as well, so it's likely not a bad investment, but I would certainly say there is some risk involved. If the market were to crash, I believe getting out of a place in Mount Clemens would be more difficult than from a more desirable city.

Ooh, also, happy 1000 posts to me!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:52 AM

27,758 posts, read 65,577,769 times
I really like Mt. Clemens. When I had court hearings or trials there, I tried to leave some free time to wander around the cute little downtown area. They have one of the few good magic stores there (actually my favorite because the people are very friendly, helpful and understand the kinds of things I am looking for.

I do not know what the housing our schools are like because I have only been downtown. However if the housing options are decent and the school options manageable, I would love to live within walking distance of the little downtown. It is not perfect, but seems to improve every time i go there (a new shop or restaurant where it used to be empty,or used to be some useless place like a realtors office or tax preparation (not that those services are useless, but they are useless space for a downtown, they have no appeal to look at or go into). The downtown certainly appears to be on the upswing.

There used to be a really awesome restaurant that served all products of Michigan, but I believe it closed some time ago. Still there are a few other neat places to eat. Some really cool statues.

Macomb county used to have a bad reputation for government corruption, but things have been getting better and better. Macomb county i s one of the biggest growth places in Michigan during the past ten years.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:35 AM

979 posts, read 1,115,708 times
I never have really understood Mt. Clemens. We used to over there to go out to the bars in my early/mid 20s but that was about 10 years ago.

I always thought it was going to be Macomb County's Royal Oak but just hasn't attracted the younger/hipper crowd, unless that's changed.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:02 PM

142 posts, read 117,564 times
The area near Gibraltar is sketchy. You want to stay west of Gratiot. East is pretty ghetto. Thats a pretty distressed area.When I took a wrong turn and ended up in that area, I noticed the police following me as if they thought I was there to buy drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or