Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Whenever Detroit is #1 for something GOOD... it is great news. You can look up at the sky that is lit up from Detroit's city lights and tell Detroit is brighter then it has been in a while. The major streets almost look like it's daylight outside (with the white lights instead of the orange lights). Now let's continue to improve our infrastructure... this type of stuff goes a long way. Mike Duggan can be mayor of Detroit for as long as Colman Young for all I care.
I think its a totally different ball game...managing the city......post bankruptcy relative to per-bankruptcy. Its kind of no different from the GM post bankruptcy relative to pre-bankruptcy. The city of Detroit, as well as GM, were burdened with legacy cost related to union contracts, pensions, healthcare and retired employees. Neither of the entities were viable with such cost.

The leadership of the city of Detroit today is not faced with the financial burdens of past leadership. They also enjoy increased revenue from a boom in corporate relocation to the city, bringing thousands of new workers to the city. How well would Duggan (or anyone else) have done if he was the mayor in 2001 - 2008? Would all the lights have been working then?

If you are a teacher in Bloomfield Hills and performance is measured by the test scores of the students, and your students score higher on standardized test than a than students of a teacher at Detroit King.....is the Bloomfield Hills teacher a better teacher than the Detroit teacher? Their challenges are not the same. You place that Bloomfield Hills teacher in a Detroit public school and the students result in the Detroit public school will be about the same. You place the Detroit teacher in Bloomfield Hills and the results of the students there will be about the same. You place Duggan in the leadership role circa 2001...and the results of the city would be about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Clean up some (but not all of) the gang tags, do low rise infill in the empty lots ... and it would go from Detroit to 1970s San Jose.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

The reason I wrote low rise is the sheer amount of infill available. Dense pack does not make sense.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:35 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Duggan pushes the city personnel to work with investors/developers rather than against them. He is only somewhat successful in getting them to change, but the atmosphere hs improved considerably. At the same time other, more cooperative/helpful officials have come into place as well. Rod Miller at DEGC, Warren Evans was an improvement of Bob Ficano at the county. Some very smart moves were made during the bankruptcy (like trading Cobo). It all happened near the same time, so it is hard to tell whether one or two people are responsible for the improvement or a lot of people. Regardless it has become a considerably less difficult/problematic place to do businessmen. Still a long long way to go in that regard, but they have made considerable progress and seem to be headed in the right direction.
THE CITY ACTUALLY PLOWED MY RESIDENTIAL STREET after this past Saturday/Sunday snowstorm! I have never experienced that in my 11 years of living in the city, not even during the blizzard-every-week winter of 2013-14.

We are barely headed in the right direction, though. Our public school system is abysmal, thievery and violent crime is still out of control even in many of the good areas (see below), and the high property tax rates and insurance rates also keep people away.

My brother moved into a high-rise building in Lafayette Park in June. In September, because the building's parking lot was full, he parked his Chrysler 300 on the street in front of the apartment building one evening, and it was stolen; it was later recovered with all of the wheels gone and the navigation system ripped out. Last week, while the car was parked in the parking lot of the apartment building, someone put his car on blocks and stole the darn tires again!

It this kind of rampant thievery that has got to stop. These people just keep getting away with these crimes, and their actions put good, honest, hardworking citizens like my brother in a bind.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Detroit should declare bankruptcy more often.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:29 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Will the ancient stoplights from the 1960s be replaced soon as well? Probably a much more expensive proposition.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Detroit should declare bankruptcy more often.
10/10 Would put assets in receivership again.

Happy to hear they plowed your street usroute10, probably got it more quickly than Royal Oak got streets in my neighborhood. (Seriously, for a relatively nice city with a few moderately-upscale parts, the snow removal rate here is far below all surrounding cities, including Warren.)

Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 65,273 times
I had a couple of friends visit a few weeks ago and the last time they had been to Detroit was during the summer. We were driving down Telegraph and they commented on the lights, how bright they were, and how it feels safer. I think the Telegraph lights were installed more recently because I travel down Telegraph often and had not noticed them before.

It really does give the area a safer feel. But not sure if that actually translates into "safer, but I guess time will tell.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Here's how Detroit's new LED lights look from space. The city's outline is almost completely well defined by the new street lights.

Original tweet.
https://twitter.com/astro_kimbrough/...61989230456832

Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Here's how Detroit's new LED lights look from space. The city's outline is almost completely well defined by the new street lights.

Original tweet.
https://twitter.com/astro_kimbrough/...61989230456832
I just fell in love with that pic. I've just been examining for 10 minutes now lol.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
^^ You can really see how connected AA is to the Detroit area, it's almost impossible to notice that it's it's own metro and not just part of Metro Detroit. Some people try to make it sound like AA is completely seperate from Detroits influence, but it's obviously not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit