U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,612,495 times

Advertisements

Detroit becomes largest city in America to be completely lit with LED streetlights | MLive.com

Wow. 1 year ahead of schedule, and within budget! 3 years ago, 40% of lights were not functioning, and now 100% lit with LED lighting. Detroit is making so much progress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:40 PM

263 posts, read 341,946 times
This really is amazing! Seems like late-night Detroit motorists now-longer have a good excuse to slow-roll thru red lights or stop signs, under the philosophy of a moving target being safer than a stationary one.

If Detroit really gets civilized, it's almost gonna be somewhat boring.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,612,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
This really is amazing! Seems like late-night Detroit motorists now-longer have a good excuse to slow-roll thru red lights or stop signs, under the philosophy of a moving target being safer than a stationary one.

If Detroit really gets civilized, it's almost gonna be somewhat boring.
Yes, and Detroit will have the capability of showcasing all of its prostitutes and homeless as well as Vegas.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times
Whenever Detroit is #1 for something GOOD... it is great news. You can look up at the sky that is lit up from Detroit's city lights and tell Detroit is brighter then it has been in a while. The major streets almost look like it's daylight outside (with the white lights instead of the orange lights). Now let's continue to improve our infrastructure... this type of stuff goes a long way. Mike Duggan can be mayor of Detroit for as long as Colman Young for all I care.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:20 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Whenever Detroit is #1 for something GOOD... it is great news. You can look up at the sky that is lit up from Detroit's city lights and tell Detroit is brighter then it has been in a while. The major streets almost look like it's daylight outside (with the white lights instead of the orange lights). Now let's continue to improve our infrastructure... this type of stuff goes a long way. Mike Duggan can be mayor of Detroit for as long as Colman Young for all I care.
Great post - and I agree on all counts. Well, except for the Coleman Young thing - simply because I know nothing about the guy.

But I can assure you that from a relative outsider perspective, the news coming out of Detroit since I've moved here is in stark contrast to everything I knew about Detroit before coming here. I hope residents recognize this and continue to elect qualified (and mostly honest) city leaders, even if sometimes they feel Downtown gets favoritism over some of the blighted neighborhoods. I'm all about restoring all of Detroit, but for that to happen, it realistically needs a solid financial anchor; that isn't going to be at Fenkell and Wyoming or Gratoit and McNichols, but those areas will directly benefit from the successes at Woodward and Michigan.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 902,185 times
So proud of you guys and the progress up there. Keep it up!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:31 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Yes, and Detroit will have the capability of showcasing all of its prostitutes and homeless as well as Vegas.
Interesting, you made me realize I do not really see prostitutes around anymore. 2008-2010 they were everywhere. Now, I cannot remember seeing one identifiable prostitute recently. Not in years.

The homeless guys become less visible this time of year, but they are still around. Not only the same numbers but pretty much the same guys.

Why do they stay here? If I were homeless I would move someplace warmer. walk, hitchhike, jump on train, whatever, just get somewhere the weather will not kill you.

those LEd lights are really bright. I love them but would not want one outside my bedroom window.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Great post - and I agree on all counts. Well, except for the Coleman Young thing - simply because I know nothing about the guy.

But I can assure you that from a relative outsider perspective, the news coming out of Detroit since I've moved here is in stark contrast to everything I knew about Detroit before coming here. I hope residents recognize this and continue to elect qualified (and mostly honest) city leaders, even if sometimes they feel Downtown gets favoritism over some of the blighted neighborhoods. I'm all about restoring all of Detroit, but for that to happen, it realistically needs a solid financial anchor; that isn't going to be at Fenkell and Wyoming or Gratoit and McNichols, but those areas will directly benefit from the successes at Woodward and Michigan.
Coleman Young was mayor of Detroit from 1974–1994. And you know what I notice about Americans? most of them are never satisfied, don't know how things work, and have no solutions to the sh*t they complain about. The good thing is so much progress is being made in a short amount of time that you really can't ignore it. Anyone who says Detroit is no different than it was 3-4 years ago is delusional. The mayor doesn't control where rich people want to develop, some people need to realize that E 6 mile will never look like the sunset strip (at least not without them kicking everybody out of there). But yeah I hope Duggan runs again. I haven't seen Detroit get better this fast in my lifetime (even though there is still plenty of work to do). In fact, the only other time I seen Detroit change this fast is when the housing and auto crash slapped Detroit dead in the face and neighborhoods emptied out like a oil spill.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Duggan pushes the city personnel to work with investors/developers rather than against them. He is only somewhat successful in getting them to change, but the atmosphere hs improved considerably. At the same time other, more cooperative/helpful officials have come into place as well. Rod Miller at DEGC, Warren Evans was an improvement of Bob Ficano at the county. Some very smart moves were made during the bankruptcy (like trading Cobo). It all happened near the same time, so it is hard to tell whether one or two people are responsible for the improvement or a lot of people. Regardless it has become a considerably less difficult/problematic place to do businessmen. Still a long long way to go in that regard, but they have made considerable progress and seem to be headed in the right direction.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:35 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,140,138 times
I live in Phoenix, but the title of the thread caught my attention. It's a pretty impressive feat that Detroit was able to switch over its entire streetlight system, especially under budget and ahead of schedule. We're in the process of doing that here in Phoenix. However, there's been a lot of complaints about how bright the LED lights are. Is that what you're finding there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or