U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,687 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
First of all I thank everyone on this portal who help people in deciding their future. I am living in Troy since 2 years and as my job location is in Redford, I am planning to buy a home in Livonia close to my office. I saw a home yesterday which was my first day of looking homes in Livonia. Saw 4-5 homes but one of the homes was exceptionally well maintained. It is a fairly new home(1992 built) and is fully renovated in 2014 with finished basement. The price is also in my budget.

I am almost thinking to give an offer but I am concerned about only one thing. Most of the people at my work has said try not to live east of Middlebelt road. This home which I liked is between Middlebelt and Harrision on 5 mile road. Can someone please shed some light on how safe is this area?
Should I wait for other homes or if I should buy this home?
Also which areas in Livonia are best to buy home and raise family?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Livonia is super safe, all of it. The town is basically as sleepy as Troy, with comparably good schools, and close to the same amount of money in the pockets of its residents. You can take a walk from Harrison to Middlebelt with just as much safety as you can take a walk from Newburgh to Eckles or Big Beaver to Maple - plus if you work in Redford, living at Middlebelt shaves a few miles off the commute. Saying "Don't live east of Middlebelt in Livonia" is about as ridiculous as saying "Don't live south of Big Beaver in Troy" - obviously both pieces of advice are useless, and likely given by someone who has way too much snobbery to go around if proximity to safe, working class cities like Redford (or Clawson/Madison Heights) scares them.

My only negative thought is that 5 Mile is pretty busy, as I'm sure you saw. I wouldn't want my driveway exiting onto 5 Mile, but if that doesn't bother you - go for it! Livonia is a good city.

Also, totally unrelated, but do people in Troy call Big Beaver, "The Beav"? Because if they don't, and I'm pretty sure they don't, they need to get on that - ASAP. Exit 69, the Beav. Sorry, I'll quit acting like I'm 16.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:38 AM

56 posts, read 41,124 times
I live in this area although in the city of Southfield. I don't feel unsafe at all but my home is a rental so and don't intent on being in house more than a few years. Those who say you want to be west of Middlebelt, it definitely seems nicer over that way. I can't comment on whether or not it's safer.

I think it all depends on where you're talking about specifically. For example in Southfield, there are many nice homes east of Inkster road.

I would do some driving around there if you haven't already. I occasionally drive through Livonia down Merriman and 7 Mile and roads that border Livonia such as Inkster and 8 Mile. There are some very nice homes near/on Merriman and even headed west on 8 Mile towards 275 . Down Inkster on the Redford/Livonia border the houses are smaller, probably older, with smaller lots. They aren't run down and I never see any abandoned houses but they defiantly aren't mcmansions either.

For piece of mind I would recommend looking at the crime maps on City-Data and crimemapping.com. You may find that statistically, as a whole Livonia is more "dangerous" than Troy but I wouldn't base your thoughts solely off this data alone.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
The entire Livonia is fine. Some people kill me with that crap. Seriously, I actually wonder how small Metro Detroit feels to people who think more than half of it is dangerous lmao. Anywhere near Middlebelt or anywhere in Livonia is defiantly the burbs to anybody who grew up in the city.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,815,166 times
I lived a few miles from that area and am very familiar with it. I also have friends who live right at 5 and Harrison and are probably in the neighborhood you are looking in.

As far as safety goes, all of Livonia is extremely safe.

Regarding desirability, I will just tell you what my friends think of the area and let you decide.

As far as schools go, that area feeds into the lower rated portion of Livonia Public Schools. I'm sure I will upset some people by saying this, but there is a big difference between the LPS schools that feed into Stevenson and the LPS schools that feed into Churchill and Franklin. The schools in that neighborhood feed into Churchill and are largely viewed as being "in decline." LPS has been steadily losing students and will be deciding tonight on two elementary schools to close. I would pay close attention and see if any of the schools in this area are closing. But the bigger picture is, whether you buy into the decline or not, the perception is there and it will impact housing values. School quality is an extremely touchy subject around here, so I would just say do your own research on this matter. FWIW, my friends plan on moving to another district before their kids reach school age.

As far as the area overall, it's true that east of Middlebelt (I would say east of Merriman) is considered the "working class" portion of Livonia and was hit harder during the recession than the rest of the city. That area saw a lot more foreclosures and empty strip malls, but has bounced back as of late. How will it fare during the next inevitable decline? Who knows. The housing crash of 2008 was unprecedented and it's nearly impossible to predict.

However, if you're just looking for a quiet suburb that's a step up from Westland, Garden City, Redford, etc. That area will do just fine -- better than just fine. It is entirely safe and populated mostly with families. It just all depends on what you're looking for in a suburb. My personal opinion is that any home that feeds into Stevenson is likely the safest investment in Livonia. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Livonia is super safe, all of it. The town is basically as sleepy as Troy, with comparably good schools, and close to the same amount of money in the pockets of its residents. You can take a walk from Harrison to Middlebelt with just as much safety as you can take a walk from Newburgh to Eckles or Big Beaver to Maple - plus if you work in Redford, living at Middlebelt shaves a few miles off the commute. Saying "Don't live east of Middlebelt in Livonia" is about as ridiculous as saying "Don't live south of Big Beaver in Troy" - obviously both pieces of advice are useless, and likely given by someone who has way too much snobbery to go around if proximity to safe, working class cities like Redford (or Clawson/Madison Heights) scares them.

My only negative thought is that 5 Mile is pretty busy, as I'm sure you saw. I wouldn't want my driveway exiting onto 5 Mile, but if that doesn't bother you - go for it! Livonia is a good city.

Also, totally unrelated, but do people in Troy call Big Beaver, "The Beav"? Because if they don't, and I'm pretty sure they don't, they need to get on that - ASAP. Exit 69, the Beav. Sorry, I'll quit acting like I'm 16.
I have lived on 14 mile and John R road and I can say that was pretty safe area. If you can compare that 14 mile/John R area with Middlebelt/5mile than it should be okay.

And LOL, yes they do sometime call the Beav... Its funny how the Exit 69 is exactly on Big Beaver...

Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies/suggestion. That particular home at middlebelt & 5 mile is gone already. But all of your suggestion does help to continue my home buying search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or