Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:38 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
This might have something to do (if memory serves me correctly) as part of a Supreme Court case associated with the Voting Rights Act of 1964/5. Basically - the Courts ruled that if there were majority black areas in a tract census, those couldn't be gerrymandered to dilute the effect of the black vote. I'm not sure how relevant this is in 2016 - but I think that was the original basis. If you had a city of Inkster, for example, you couldn't fully lump it into a neighboring city of 3 times the population and 95% white to dilute the black vote. So, in effect, the restricting just lumps all the black votes together into a solidly Dem district - that's why you'll see the one in Michigan go from Melvindale, through Detroit, up into Pontiac.

So if an area is "written off" to be Democratic area - you'll see it tries to cover as many white Democratic suburbs as well - so those votes can't have as large of an impact in a Republican leaning area. See these two maps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michig...ince_2013).tif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michig...ince_2013).tif
That infuriates me even more - to see those "districts" winding around all over the place like a Chinese dragon. They should be squares or as nearly squared as possible. Race shouldn't even be a consideration, only population. It assumes people relate to each other more by race than by proximity. "I'm a black person living in northern Oakland County but my needs are more in common with my black brethren who live in downtown Detroit rather than my white neighbors in Oakland County". This thinking reflects a racist belief that blacks are "different".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
That used to be the case a decade or so ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michig...80%93_2002.tif

The most important election in Michigan every ten years is actually the election in the year ending in 0 (2000, 2010, 2020) - because the maps are redrawn every ten years based on the most recent census and the party in control of Lansing determines those maps (i.e. has a vested interest to protect their seats).

For example, current prediction is that Michigan would lose 1 congressional seat - so all those maps would be redrawn (assuming Republicans hold control) so that two Democratic seats are merged into one district. Given each district has approximate population - it makes the boundaries change every ten years.

Some states, notably out west, have gone to districts being drawn by a nonpolitical body - as opposed to the ruling party - be it Rep or Dem.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
That infuriates me even more - to see those "districts" winding around all over the place like a Chinese dragon. They should be squares or as nearly squared as possible. Race shouldn't even be a consideration, only population. It assumes people relate to each other more by race than by proximity. "I'm a black person living in northern Oakland County but my needs are more in common with my black brethren who live in downtown Detroit rather than my white neighbors in Oakland County". This thinking reflects a racist belief that blacks are "different".
Society has had to come up with some kind of way to circumvent the existence of racism....because you cannot legislate what is in peoples hearts and minds. The maps are crazy....yes.....but they are that way for a reason. Eighty Five plus percent of African Americans vote democratic. Fifty Five plus percent of whites vote Republican. We do all want the same things.....but we often see a different path to getting there....which is why we vote differently.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Society has had to come up with some kind of way to circumvent the existence of racism....because you cannot legislate what is in peoples hearts and minds. The maps are crazy....yes.....but they are that way for a reason. Eighty Five plus percent of African Americans vote democratic. Fifty Five plus percent of whites vote Republican. We do all want the same things.....but we often see a different path to getting there....which is why we vote differently.
The government of Eastpointe has been solidly Democratic for decades, so it's not a matter of Democrat vs. Republican. It's a matter of the Obama DOJ insisting that black Democrats will somehow govern differently than white Democrats. A white Democrat couldn't possibly expect to know whether a black Democrat wants their garbage picked up once a week or whether they want clean water when they turn on the faucet.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
The government of Eastpointe has been solidly Democratic for decades, so it's not a matter of Democrat vs. Republican. It's a matter of the Obama DOJ insisting that black Democrats will somehow govern differently than white Democrats. A white Democrat couldn't possibly expect to know whether a black Democrat wants their garbage picked up once a week or whether they want clean water when they turn on the faucet.
I understand what you are saying....but what is true for the whole is not necessarily true of its parts. Many whites in Michigan, certainly not all, are Democrats mainly because of labor concerns. If not for labor, Michigan would be a solidly Red state, in my opinion. Blacks tend to vote democrat for for somewhat different reasons, in degree or kind. In other words, just because two people may be democrat....it does not mean that they will agree on everything or even most things.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I understand what you are saying....but what is true for the whole is not necessarily true of its parts. Many whites in Michigan, certainly not all, are Democrats mainly because of labor concerns. If not for labor, Michigan would be a solidly Red state, in my opinion. Blacks tend to vote democrat for for somewhat different reasons, in degree or kind. In other words, just because two people may be democrat....it does not mean that they will agree on everything or even most things.
Okay, but at a city level, what could blacks and whites want different that justifies Obama's DOJ forcing a small town to change a voter-approved city charter? Is there some great municipal innovation that blacks are privy to that whites aren't? Or is this another case of the government declaring that standards must be dumbed-down so even a mere black person can get elected?

Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Maybe I'm missing something... where in the article did it say anything about Obama?

Old 12-31-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something... where in the article did it say anything about Obama?
Who do you think appointed Loretta Lynch? This is all a part of Obama's last ditch effort to make himself look like the Savior of Black People. He has failed miserably and is now taking it out on those least able to confront him. Eastpointe city officials are doing the right thing by going along with this farce because to challenge it would just bring more retribution from the Race Monger In Chief.

Last edited by Retroit; 12-31-2016 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 10:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Who do you think appointed Loretta Lynch? This is all a part of Obama's last ditch effort to make himself look like the Savior of Black People. He has failed miserably and is now taking it out on those least able to confront him. Eastpointe city officials are doing the right thing by going along with this farce because to challenge it would just bring more retribution from the Race Monger In Chief.
Lol he failed miserably? He did most of what he said he was going to do during his campaign promises even with congress fighting him every single time. That's why his approval rating are pretty good (much better than Bush btw). And Obama has never tried to make himself look like the "savior of black people", he wanted to pass laws to benefit all Americans not just "black people". And how is he a Race Monger when he will criticize a group of any race if they are in the wrong INCLUDING black people? Even his freaking vice president is white .

Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lol he failed miserably? He did most of what he said he was going to do during his campaign promises even with congress fighting him every single time. That's why his approval rating are pretty good (much better than Bush btw). And Obama has never tried to make himself look like the "savior of black people", he wanted to pass laws to benefit all Americans not just "black people". And how is he a Race Monger when he will criticize a group of any race if they are in the wrong INCLUDING black people? Even his freaking vice president is white .
Blacks are much worse off under Obama than before. He is desperately trying to leave a legacy: "I forced little ol' Eastpointe to elect a black person." lol, what a joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit