U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM

14,551 posts, read 13,280,269 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a short trip to Windsor. Took the tunnel. Looks like the slumlords haven't spent a penny on upkeep for years. What a disgrace. Maybe I could donate a power washer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 PM

74 posts, read 60,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why build a bridge in an area that would require more expensive buy-outs of current occupants than buying abandoned city-owned property at a fraction of the price.
The tax auction properties purchased by Moroun were in the area of the new, Gordie Howe, bridge, and not the around the proposed second span of the Ambassador. The Canadians have had the 401 build out towards the new bridge area for years, and it was well known where the US side needed to build to connect to I-75.

It's Moroun that's effectively raising the cost of constructing the bridge though legal fees by forcing imminent domain proceedings for his 25th hour purchases. He's prolonging his monopoly by delaying the construction, and stealing tax payer money via ill-gotten tolls in the process. Moroun's championing of the Delray community is smoke up one's posterior. The only fault on the State's part is not recognizing Moroun's property strategy, and not buying the foreclosed properties at fair market price beforehand.

I only respond as the naked self-interest of Moroun needs to be explicitly explained to the uninformed, and because, for some unGod willing reason, people venture to spread disinformation to the uninformed about him.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:44 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,587,794 times
Quote:
I just got back from a short trip to Windsor. Took the tunnel. Looks like the slumlords haven't spent a penny on upkeep for years. What a disgrace. Maybe I could donate a power washer?
You may need to donate it to Manny Moroun. He may well be the slumlord you are referring to (well at least indirectly - he probably owns the property through an LLC or corporation).

One of the reasons the Canadian government hates Moroun so much is her bought a few houses in one to the neighborhoods and allowed (some say caused) them to decay. No one wanted the neighboring homes and Moroun bought those for a song and the decay expanded. Eventually the entire neighborhood was a slum and Moroun was able to bu the rest for next to nothing.

I think it is hard to overestimate how much the Canadians hate (or at least hated) Moroun. There is little likelihood they will ever agree to a Moroun bridge on Canadian soil. However he might be able to buy enough politicians over there eventually - but his political efforts failed here, i do not see any likelihood of them succeeding there, especially if they know he is connected.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 PM

915 posts, read 1,158,992 times
I'm really okay with the bridge being built.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:33 PM

14,551 posts, read 13,280,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michikawa View Post
The tax auction properties purchased by Moroun were in the area of the new, Gordie Howe, bridge, and not the around the proposed second span of the Ambassador. The Canadians have had the 401 build out towards the new bridge area for years, and it was well known where the US side needed to build to connect to I-75.

It's Moroun that's effectively raising the cost of constructing the bridge though legal fees by forcing imminent domain proceedings for his 25th hour purchases. He's prolonging his monopoly by delaying the construction, and stealing tax payer money via ill-gotten tolls in the process. Moroun's championing of the Delray community is smoke up one's posterior. The only fault on the State's part is not recognizing Moroun's property strategy, and not buying the foreclosed properties at fair market price beforehand.

I only respond as the naked self-interest of Moroun needs to be explicitly explained to the uninformed, and because, for some unGod willing reason, people venture to spread disinformation to the uninformed about him.
Okay, you may be correct. I really don't know. The link I posted earlier showed only a handful of Maroun-owned properties down there, most of them in a small cluster. But why would the city auction off properties that they knew they needed for the bridge? Or are you telling me that Maroun knew more than they did? And if the city offers property at auction, good for anyone who buys them - more money for the city.

As for the "ill-gotten tolls" "disinformation": the toll for the bridge is the same as the tunnel. Are the cities of Detroit and Windsor also "stealing taxpayer money"?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
The traffic volume on the Ambassador Bridge isn't as high as I'd of thought, only around 17,000 cars and 5,000 trucks per day but the border checks really slow things down.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 PM

979 posts, read 1,116,246 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2987...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2752...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2841...7i13312!8i6656

This is why Canada wants a new bridge, to get all this truck traffic off the streets of Windsor.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 PM

74 posts, read 60,725 times
Quote:
But why would the city auction off properties that they knew they needed for the bridge? Or are you telling me that Maroun knew more than they did?
Michigan Law is that properties which do not pay their taxes for three consecutive years must be put up for public auction. The properties are auctioned on the county level.

As for who knows more than whom, the State is slow, inefficient, and stupid, so naturally the coordinated efforts of two nations, a county, and a city would overlook/be unable to respond to scrupulous land grabs by an individual. As you've mentioned earlier, the State's only redress for these shortcomings is expensive brute force, which in this particular case is a never ending supply of lawyers and imminent domain.

I assume the local and federal authorities were operating the under standard procedure of not purchasing assets until the necessary funds for a project were available. The government isn't in the business of being a landlord.

Quote:
Are the cities of Detroit and Windsor also "stealing taxpayer money"?
Moroun is stealing money from the (Canadian) tax payer, as the tolls which would be reimbursing the new Gordie Howe bridge are being delayed and are instead funneled into Moroun's monopoly, as well as being spent of lawyers and court fees instead of construction workers. The funds from the tunnel go to maintaining the tunnel, and the bottom line of its owner (http://www.macquarie.com/ca/detroit_windsor_tunnel.htm), who have not gone around blighting neighborhoods in Windsor and Detroit, and maintain a service amenable the citizens of the two cities.

The new bridge is Canada's number one infrastructure priority, as a substantial amount of it's GDP crosses it. It's a no-win situation for Moroun, who should have been reinvesting his bridge monopoly gains for years and divesting himself from it, instead of tripling down to become Detroit's posterboy slumlord.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 PM

84 posts, read 254,728 times
To have one person control an international border is beyond ludicrous. Matty Moroun is easily the most hated person in Windsor and you will find nobody in Windsor who supports his cause to build a new bridge (unless they work for him of course). He has completely destroyed what was once a vibrant neighbourhood. The city has fought him all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada to get him to maintain and repair the homes that he has let rot.

A new Moroun bridge will do nothing to get truck traffic off of Windsor's streets. Retroit has no knowledge of Windsor's history and of course has little understanding of why there is no highway leading to the current bridge on the Canadian side (it has a lot to do with the presence of a university campus, a high school, and a historic densely populated neighbourhood that were all established along and around the bridge feeder road way before interstate highways came about). Unlike Michigan and many U.S. states, Ontario did not simply bulldoze important cultural institutions just to build superhighways.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:19 AM

2,105 posts, read 1,348,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
To have one person control an international border is beyond ludicrous. Matty Moroun is easily the most hated person in Windsor and you will find nobody in Windsor who supports his cause to build a new bridge (unless they work for him of course). He has completely destroyed what was once a vibrant neighborhood. The city has fought him all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada to get him to maintain and repair the homes that he has let rot.

A new Moroun bridge will do nothing to get truck traffic off of Windsor's streets. Retroit has no knowledge of Windsor's history and of course has little understanding of why there is no highway leading to the current bridge on the Canadian side (it has a lot to do with the presence of a university campus, a high school, and a historic densely populated neighbourhood that were all established along and around the bridge feeder road way before interstate highways came about). Unlike Michigan and many U.S. states, Ontario did not simply bulldoze important cultural institutions just to build superhighways.
If Windsor/Canada doesn't want to deal with Matty Moroun that should be the end of the debate. They are after all a sovereign nation.

As to Retroit's argument about what private sector should do instead of government I think bridges fall under infrastructure and should be done by government. Just because this bridge is privately owned doesn't mean its a workable concept. What if every bridge was privately owned? What if there was a toll booth at every freeway overpass in Detroit? We would not accept that even if the bridges were well maintained. Now having said that, we as a nation have not done well by our infrastructure overall. We need to do better but infrastructure cannot be privatized to any large degree. Even the toll roads Retroit mentioned are mostly owned by Government.

The problem with Matty Moroun's second span is simply that in 90 years things have changed and a second span at Matty's current location no longer makes sense except to Matty Moroun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or